Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is life good?

Options
13»

Comments

Now that is optimism I admire. A moderator of after hours who believes things are going to get better :) Even my lust for life does not stretch to bouts of optimism that large :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Life is f*cking amazing! If it's not, you need to figure out what you need to do in order to make it so. Life's too short for it to be anything less than amazing.

If that video doesn't inspire you to make the most of life then I don't know what will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Now that is optimism I admire. A moderator of after hours who believes things are going to get better :) Even my lust for life does not stretch to bouts of optimism that large :)

It's easy when you've something to look forward to :)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    It's easy when you've something to look forward to :)

Such as - - - - no longer being a mod of AH? :)

I modded two sites. Once by invitation and once vicariously when the mod who is my friend asked me to do it for a couple of months while he was on paternity. And the latter one - the pms I would get from people aggrieved by the moderator decisions of OTHER mods - were more than enough to sap the love of life out of don juan demarco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Life is f*cking amazing! If it's not, you need to figure out what you need to do in order to make it so. Life's too short for it to be anything less than amazing.

If that video doesn't inspire you to make the most of life then I don't know what will.

Life is short I agree but at the end of the day but it's not that short.you have to plan for the future.and it's all well and good saying carpe diem but try that on a tight balance and see how far your adventures get you.Life is monotonous for the most part.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    Life is short I agree but at the end of the day but it's not that short.you have to plan for the future.and it's all well and good saying carpe diem but try that on a tight balance and see how far your adventures get you.Life is monotonous for the most part.

Monotony is one of the things I managed to remove from my life. Which I am happy about.

But I always love the phrase "life is short". I can not remember who I first heard rebut that one but the rebuttal is great. They said: "Life is short? Name me one thing you will ever do that will take longer!".

Puts it in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I love life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

It astonishes me how bad it is for so many on this planet - in poverty, those who endure back-breaking labour, those with addictions, slaves, living under oppression, with mental or physical illness. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the majority of humans since time began.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Life is pretty meh to be honest. I'm two years out of college, at the point where we're all in proper jobs, getting engaged, having babies, doing adult stuff. And I'm kind of thinking, is this it? It all seems to mundane.

Mind you in my own life right now there are far more things to worry or be annoyed about, than to be excited or happy about. I'm usually a happy-go-lucky kind of person, really not a worrier, but my situation has dampened my spirits a fair bit. If I was to categorise my days as positive/neutral/negative, positive would have the least.

But then, I think the grass is always greener. I think (hope) that everyone thinks that their friends' lives are better, like I do. I'm also in my mid-twenties and know that this is just an awkward phase of my life. I don't know what it's going to take for me to feel fulfilled in life, but I'm sure it will happen when things fall together somehow. The only way is up, baby!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

nothing wrong with a little monotony

sometimes you take some really bad knocks and it's not possible to be out there gung-ho for new experiences and adventure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm quite happy, really.

I haven't got a girlfriend, I'm beyond skint and I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. I've had easily the worst year of my life, and have spent so much of it feeling shìt.

But I've got my family, my friends and my health. For now, that'll do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

blackdog2 wrote: »
    It astonishes me how bad it is for so many on this planet - in poverty, those who endure back-breaking labour, those with addictions, slaves, living under oppression, with mental or physical illness. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the majority of humans since time began.

That is all.

It amazes me sometimes how some people who do the back breaking work, who live in that stomach empty poverty can still be very very happy.

We live in my wife's grandparents place and recently had to do some work on the roadway up through. So tractors and diggers and gravel lorries - job done - then you think that her grandfather built the thing, on his own and with just one horse, no machines whatsoever. He was always a really happy guy died in his 90s - of course no one asked the poor feckin horse;).

I look back at them, they never had much, enough but not much of a surplus, certainly nothing they didn't work hard for. They had their share of life's disasters - so I wonder why so happy? Poteen maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It amazes me sometimes how some people who do the back breaking work, who live in that stomach empty poverty can still be very very happy.

We live in my wife's grandparents place and recently had to do some work on the roadway up through. So tractors and diggers and gravel lorries - job done - then you think that her grandfather built the thing, on his own and with just one horse, no machines whatsoever. He was always a really happy guy died in his 90s - of course no one asked the poor feckin horse;).

I look back at them, they never had much, enough but not much of a surplus, certainly nothing they didn't work hard for. They had their share of life's disasters - so I wonder why so happy? Poteen maybe?

Focus is what it is. They had tasks to do and they done them and felt accomplished afterwards.Nowadays with social media and the like everyone is observing everyone else's lives and constantly comparing,seeing their own shortcomings. it's a massive distraction and give the impression that life should be like a party 24/7.it's all about short term feel good things and that makes you feel hollow once they're gone. The things in life that make you feel best are things that are difficult to do and require long term effort. That shows you what real steel you're made of. It could be graduating college, rearing a child on your own or keeping down a job. The problem is that things like this won't make you popular or fun in today's sense but you have to make them important for you.

Monotony is one of the things I managed to remove from my life. Which I am happy about.

But I always love the phrase "life is short". I can not remember who I first heard rebut that one but the rebuttal is great. They said: "Life is short? Name me one thing you will ever do that will take longer!".

Puts it in perspective.

What puts it in perspective is realising that the earth has been around for 4 billion odd years during which you've been completely non existent. You'll only live for maybe a century if you're lucky and then you'll return to that non existent state. There will be no "you" no conscience, no inner dialogue. It won't be good or bad because you just won't be there. Nobody can know for sure whether or not there's an afterlife. I mean, I sincerely hope there is but I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket, life is for living.

When you realise how little everything matters, how we're all in same in inevitable death, that puts it in perspective.

So yeah, life is pretty short - and that's if you manage to live a 100 years, you could die tomorrow so make the most of it!

Still didn't manage to name me something you'll ever do that takes longer :p

But I do love the "cosmic perspective" which is basically what you just described. I dunno about life being too short in general - but carl sagans life was too short for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Everybody has struggles in life, but some people have to live with harsh realities. Disability or illness, loss and pain. I have suffered illness but I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I know from a relatively affluent and liberal western perspective I have many advantages disadvantaged people would envy, but this doesn't necessarily mean disadvantaged people can't have the really important things in life such as family and good friends. I think the poor are often more invested in rewarding relationships because they depend on them.

We are going through such upheaval socially and technologically I sometimes feel sorry for young people today. My childhood in the 80's was a simpler time, and whilst change has been rapid I have grown up with significant change and am probably better prepared for it. I do think modernity has brought many good things, but there is so much peer pressure that today young people, who are told consistently how good they have it and how they cannot make excuses for failing to succeed, must feel disillusioned and wonder what is really important.

I think way too much emphasis is put on "intelligence". Yes, the young are bombarded with image and success values, but there is an underlining competitiveness that has utter contempt for compromise second best. The reality is many capable people are very unhappy, taking on more and risking more to succeed, and many "smart people" embezzle money and commit crimes that ruin their lives and reputations, as well as the ripped off. So much of the successful are bag men for crooks in finance. Such people seem to fail at happiness but seek solace in their material possessions. How can they be happy when everybody is a threat to warded off with power and money.

I know there is a bigger picture in life, that it's not all about me. I know there are some things that make me smile and many things I don't like about this world, and I know that almost anything can change, for better or worse. Change sweeps in and what seems set in stone today can be turned upside down. I think the single most important thing in my life is relationships, and that can mean cutting people off as well as opening up. I believe if you value relationships in your life you will have a life worth living, in spite of the harsh realities.

Interesting thing to note, I was watching a Ted Talk (I'll find the link later) about happiness and apparently it's all relative.

If you look at a lottery winner and a disabled person one year on after winning the lotto/ becoming disabled their happiness levels are surprisingly the exact same. People adapt to their situations and synthesise their own happiness.

I think to be truly happy, one of the most important things you can do is stop comparing yourself to others. The sooner your realise there will always be someone more successful/wealthy/attractive/whatever than you the sooner you can accept yourself for who are and be happy.

Edit: Here's the link

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

For me happiness is all about your perspective. Its important of try to focus on the good and positive things in your life. It's all to easy to fall into a rut of rumination, it becomes addictive and the ego fools you to falsely believe that your path in life is a battle.

There will always be bad days to come, hurdles ahead that cannot be avoided that we must face, accept this. All we ever have is the present moment focus your attention it and bask in its intensity.

Now if I could just take that advice myself I'd be a much happier man.

Advertisement