Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is life good?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently, and to be honest I find it very difficult to actually say that life is "good". I find there are a lot more unpleasant experiences than there are pleasant ones, and even then the unpleasant ones have a greater affect in me. I don't know, I just don't enjoy the whole thing that much really.

This isn't just to be moany or anything by the way, I obviously enjoy parts of it, but I've just tried to look at it from a rational viewpoint and this is the conclusion I've come to.

Do you think life is good AH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Life's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Awesome. It's what you make it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Its alright I suppose. Sure we can see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd say good enough, and hopefully life will say the same about me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Life is great - especially when you think about the alternative ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Its a ****ing vale of tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Stick on a jumper and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

It has its amazing moments, but overall I'm not convinced the good stuff is worth suffering the bad bits that are always there, waiting for the carousel to roll round again.

After 45 years on the planet, my emotions are well and truly mangled and some days I can't hold back the tears, but then, out of the blue, I'll have a fantastic day, evening, half hour, entire night and feel like I could truly burst with joy. I think it's odd being alive, being inside this flesh and bone structure; one that can chat to itself, out loud or just inside its head and move about and make life forming/changing decisions.

I guess I fluctuate wildly between wishing I wasn't here and accepting that I am and trying to make the most of it.

I remind myself to be careful with my thoughts, as there is a school of thought that they're what's making everything turn the way its turning. I have some resistance to this idea, but at the same time feel it's worth considering.

I could blather on about this for ages, but I dunno if I'll make any sense, and am afraid I'll make myself sound like I'm a full on misery merchant. I'm not, honest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Somedays it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Life is very very short. When you really get that, it kinda wrecks your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My inner monologue is usually telling me it's pretty crap. But we also all have the ability to choose. If we're unhappy with our current situation we can change it. It just seems that changing things can be very difficult.

Right now, I feel that if I keep working the type of hours and schedule that I've been working for the last 6 years, I'll either mentally burn out soon or I'll have a heart attack before I'm 40.

But again, I have the choice to change that. Life can be good, you just have to make it good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Everything is Awesome,
    Everything is cool when you're part of a team
    Everything is Awesome when you're living out a dreams
    Everything is better when we stick together,
    Side by side you and I gonna win forever?
    Let's party forever
    We're the same unlike you, you & me we are a working in harmony
    Everything is Awesome,
    Everything is cool when you're part of a team
    Everything is Awesome when you're living out a dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Life, for me, is a constant struggle to break free from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Well it beats the alternativel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

We need to start a fight club. Nothing gets resolved, but nothing matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Freezing!! wrote: »
    This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently, and to be honest I find it very difficult to actually say that life is "good". I find there are a lot more unpleasant experiences than there are pleasant ones, and even then the unpleasant ones have a greater affect in me. I don't know, I just don't enjoy the whole thing that much really.

This isn't just to be moany or anything by the way, I obviously enjoy parts of it, but I've just tried to look at it from a rational viewpoint and this is the conclusion I've come to.

Do you think life is good AH?

There is a difference between "Life" and "Existence" what you really mean is "is Existence worth it" and it is, 3 billion sperm missed the egg so that you could exist, 3 billion missed the egg so that your dad could exist and so on down the millennia to make the odds of you actually existing in the first place astronomical. Your existence is an anomaly and it makes you unique among all the other people on this planet who's existence is also an anomaly. You could sit there and tell yourself that your existence is pointless or just change your Life so that so that your day to day life makes you feel like you deserve to Exist. Your Life is dictated by your interactions with the world around, everything you do affects your life in one way or another but your Existence is something that you now have control over. Accept that you exist, accept that you are unique and change your life to show that to yourself and acccept the fact that Life is never perfect for anyone not just you but, for the most part, no one would walk away from Existing not kicking and screaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Once you accept free will is an illusion and everything that happens was always gonna happen that way and nothing anyone can do can change that, it becomes easier

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Nothing like a health scare to make you appreciate life I assure you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Life is good, but it really depends on your attitude to life. If you expect good things, they usually happen eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Its a load of ****ing sh1te if you ask me and you'd be better off not being born in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

The feelings you describe can best be investigated by seeking the answers to ''Who am I?'' and ''Why am I here?'' Suffering, Sickness, Old Age and Death are intrinsic parts of life, so obviously life is not all ''good'' if one evaluates it subjectively or emotionally. But yet life is precious, because for this very fleeting time you, as a self-aware conscious being, have the unparalleled (try spelling that off the top of yer noggin!...I didn't ;P) opportunity to Know Thyself. Investigate philosophy. Serve others in some way. LOVE.

Besides that, I like mountains, lakes, children, making love, music, delicious food, scenery and skies, the ocean, dancing, chatting with friends, reading, learning, movies, poems, painting, gardens, travelling, baths and lounging around like a cat, and so on and so forth. In spite of the vagaries of the human mind and emotion, in spite of sorrow and suffering, life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

It's a bit of a mixed bag I suppose, there are some really good bits that just about drown out the bad. I think they do anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Not just at the moment, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not all that great for me, and will eventually get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Life ain't all that.

But the afterlife? Jeez, that's where it gets really ****ty.

For ever. And ever.

And ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

it feels more like surviving than living most of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Life isn't too bad as it is at this point in time compared to years ago. I have a roof over my head so that does it for me. Happy enough and can't complain, so yes, life is actually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

No. I'm existing, that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Modern life is good...ish.

Advertisement