Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is life good?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Jesus lads!!

Get some Vitamin B supplements or buck up on Omega 3s or take up surfing or do something...anything... for flips sake...ye are depressing me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Jesus lads!!

Get some Vitamin B supplements or buck up on Omega 3s or take up surfing or do something...anything... for flips sake...ye are depressing me :(

The vitamin B is damn good for the long dark winter. It does the job indeed, I take them at the start of autumn every year, they bring you up to a feeling of happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

It's really sad that so many are struggling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I can have its good points but right now I'd say no. I recently broke up with my girlfriend and my job is really really grinding me down and I'm begining to wonder.
    I work minimum 45 hours,sometimes 70 in a high pace environment. I feel exhausted and to top it off I'm not even making that much money.I come from a poor background and I don't just have the cash to go back and study whatever.
    I struggled to put myself through college and I'm still struggling.I was a fat kid and never got a look in with the women.changed all that by embracing fitness and new women problems showed up.I'm one of the most determined people I know but every time I take a step forward I feel like I take two backwards .
    I'm finding life totally exhausting,meaningless and draining. But I'm also not so stupid to think everything is supposed to be amazing.I'm just somewhat demoralized right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Life is great. I'm old enough to finally acknowledge that I like staying in on a Friday night and suit myself. I'm also happy to be married and never have to go out on the pull again.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    I can have its good points but right now I'd say no. I recently broke up with my girlfriend and my job is really really grinding me down and I'm begining to wonder.
    I work minimum 45 hours,sometimes 70 in a high pace environment. I feel exhausted and to top it off I'm not even making that much money.I come from a poor background and I don't just have the cash to go back and study whatever.
    I struggled to put myself through college and I'm still struggling.I was a fat kid and never got a look in with the women.changed all that by embracing fitness and new women problems showed up.I'm one of the most determined people I know but every time I take a step forward I feel like I take two backwards .
    I'm finding life totally exhausting,meaningless and draining. But I'm also not so stupid to think everything is supposed to be amazing.I'm just somewhat demoralized right now.

I empathise. What strikes me about what you write is that somehow you need an absolutely different approach...to get away, to risk being poor, being lost, finding a completely new way to be, an adventure, a crazy path, you sound like a great person and you deserve a great life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Had an awful day the other day, felt really down.

Then I just said to myself... What will sulking get me... Nothing!

Decided to get up and keep moving.

Life is what ye make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

smurgen wrote: »

Identifying negative thoughts is the first step in overcoming them.
    The real obstacle to positivity (happiness or whatever you want to call it) is that our brains are hard-wired to look for and then focus on threats. It's in our genes.
    From evolution, our minds are mostly wired to be negative as a survival tactic.

The more you ruminate on negative thoughts, the more power you give them. Most of our negative thoughts are just that—thoughts, not facts, so if you can come to grips with that concept, then you should be able to affect positive change.

Macavity. wrote: »
    I do certainly feel that I am living for others, my family, my Mother in particular. The last two years have been very dark for me and there were times when it almost got too much. Having been down the CBT and SSRI route with no luck, reaching out for help seemed like I had opened up a door, only for there to be nobody on the other side. Since as young as I remember I've always had a huge amount of anxiety, often over nothing in particular. In truth, I've never really fully enjoyed any moment in my life (where I was sober) due to a severe amounts of anxiety.

I guess that contributed hugely to my current state of mind. The last year or so I've had very limited emotions - very little compassion or empathy for others, a general apathy for everything. It's difficult to describe this shutting down of emotions, you realise it shouldn't be like that, and it wasn't always like that. I remember I would watch videos of beheadings (cartel, Dagestan massacre etc...) in the hope that I would feel something, any sort of emotion, but I never found such a video. I eventually decided to stop watching such videos as I don't think it was very beneficial for me.

This coupled with insomnia I have been experiencing resulted in me having very little motivation or even the concentration to do anything significant. I think some people just have a genetic predisposition to enjoy life more than others. Is life good? Not really, but here I am.

I may sound like some positive Ninny but i had ten agonising years of absolutely horrific anxiety which i did drug free (cos im stubborn)....100s of panic attacks daily till i became bed ridden for years...But it is these crazy times that we grow the most. Look within! Find something that makes you happy. Anything. For me it was hurling myself haplessly about in the ocean pretending to surf :) Among other things.. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I've been through a good bit in life so far. I could be melodramatic about it all but why should I. I lost my parents 13 months from each other, lost 2 babies in one year but I'm glad I had my parents for so long. Many don't. Losing babies was traumatic but I have 2 sons and a daughter so I think of those people who can't have kids at all or have to go down the surrogacy road or expensive ivf which may not work so I've been lucky enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Depends on too many factors.

Overall I'd say yes, something is better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Those who know, do not speak.
    Those who speak, do not know.

And those who type are just like the rest of us .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Life is good.

I am lying in bed on a Saturday morning. I can hear my kids watching TV in the living room. I'm going to get up soon and have a nice cup of coffee.

Because it's a Saturday, the kids don't go to school, so the whole family will spend the day messing about together.

Sure, life is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Life is wonderful. Life, as in all that is about us, is amazing. Life as in how things are for me and my family is tremendous. Of course we all have dark periods in our lives but all in all, and especially right now, things honestly could not be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Kivaro wrote: »
    Identifying negative thoughts is the first step in overcoming them.
    The real obstacle to positivity (happiness or whatever you want to call it) is that our brains are hard-wired to look for and then focus on threats. It's in our genes.
    From evolution, our minds are mostly wired to be negative as a survival tactic.

The more you ruminate on negative thoughts, the more power you give them. Most of our negative thoughts are just that—thoughts, not facts, so if you can come to grips with that concept, then you should be able to affect positive change.

I think that's a large part of it. I was always told there was never money for anything when we were younger and that we were going to loose our house etc so I never felt secure.I feel like it's followed me somewhat.I hate people who use the past to justify current shortcomings but the link.has been obvious to me for awhile.
    I think the secret for me right now is to just not think at all and go day to day.eventually it'll go right or not maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Life is a roller coaster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l feel life would be good if l wasnt lonely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I got €5 free credit for downloading the Adverts.ie app. Life is amazing right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

delw wrote: »
    Life is a roller coaster

You gotta be a certain height to enjoy it.

Freezing!! wrote: »
    Do you think life is good AH?

I quite love mine. But about ten years ago I hated it. I hated me. I hated college. I hated everything about life. I was never suicidal though. Too chicken for that. But I used to read old romantic stories of people who would just - stop. They would lie down and just give up on life. So there were times I would try it. Lie down to sleep and just give up and attempt to will my heart to stop and not wake me up in the morning.

It seems I took it seriously enough. Theres a thing you can do called bio feedback where you hook up a monitor to some part of your physiology and you get a physical representation of it on the screen, like your heart beat or something. And using that output you learn to mentally control it. So you learn to slow your own heart and stuff. Some people even learn to lower their body temperature using it.

A contact I have working with such stuff let me try it out once - and apparently I was better at it than people who have been practicing it for many months. So my efforts to stop my own heart seem to have had some effect. It seems I was making tiny progress into actually doing it.

I shifted my perspectives a lot though around the end point of college and it really worked. Now I love life - and life is good. I find pleasure in the smallest things in ways I never thought possible - all because I shifted to a new framework on how I treated my long and short term goals - and how I faced each day.

Anyway this is after hours - you asked a deep question and you got a deep answer - I am pretty sure its against the rules - or at least the spirit of the place. Now I am going to eat BBQ sauce chicken legs - and enjoy a fart. Someone asked me to set up an "ask me anything" thread recently. Maybe I should and I can waffle on a little more about perspectives :/ I just hate being preachy and reading like a self help book - but I can waffle on more if anyone actually wanted me to.
    Macavity. wrote: »
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Damn I just realized something about a Tom Lehrer song because of you that I never realized before. In the words of Shrek - that guy was like an onion. Now I have to go and re-listen to his folk song monologue all over again.

I can only assume this is Tao? I would recognize its formulaic form anywhere even if I never read much of it.
    l feel life would be good if l wasnt lonely

Then stop being lonely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Then stop being lonely :)[/QUOTE]

oh l have stopped, but ended up on my own again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

For the majority of the world's seven billion human beings; Life stinks.

Glazers Out!

oh l have stopped, but ended up on my own again

It happens I guess. I used to be stupidly lonely and too damn lazy to do anything about it. I was also painfully shy which did not help one iota. In the end I thought Feck This - and I realized I had this long standing addiction to live music. So I started going on to the forums and chat sites for all my fave bands and singers. I started setting up "pre gig" drinks. Setting out the venue and time - and constructing some comical thing on the table so people who came in would have no trouble finding me (normally it was a picture or some object - but I once went all out on effort and constructed a paper mache bobble head david gray - that went down really well with the crowd).

Ended up not just with loads of new friends - but the social hub of a few groups of people. Really worked for me.

There is a whole stream of humanity out there. A lot of us just take a sip or dip a cup in. I guess I just found a niche for me to spread my arms - close my eyes - and just dive in.

Damn I am navel gazing tonight. Some of the students of the free class I give paid me with some really high quality illegal incense and I indulged somewhat. So please forgive the rest of my posts for this evening :)

I am looking forward to reading my own posts back in the morning. Someone keep me talking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Life is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I heard Liberties belter Imelda May cheerfully singing "Oh my God it's good to be alive.." the other day.
    I shouted "that's a f..king matter of opinion!" at the radio. :D

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

There are some restrictions on my life (leftover effects of anxiety, though the anxiety itself is not so bad now) that I have trouble resolving, that reduce the quality of my life a fair bit - and I don't know how successful I'll be resolving those issues into the future - but I still think I have an ok life despite that.

Don't think I'll be having any job/career troubles, which is very lucky in todays economy (my restrictions may slow down any career progression, but think I'll be comfortable), and I'm pretty independent minded and not easily able to be bored, as I pretty much never tire of learning new things.

I think that life could fairly easily be made better for everyone though, with a few relatively modest changes to how countries are run (changes that, while simple/easy, are quite hard politically) - it's something I wish more people were aware of, as it'd be more likely to happen then (as it is though, most people don't quite know just how better things could be, and it's complicated/controversial enough, that most are closed to even learning about the topic).

Even if I don't get to a point of contentment/satisfaction in my own life, it'd be nice to be personally/financially stable enough, to put a serious effort into actions that make the above more likely to happen - as even if I'm not happy with the way things are (personally or generally), I'd still be putting in effort at making things better, in a way that'd help me and everyone else in general, if it got anywhere.

The poster who just deleted his post above before I caught the username - I would like to hear from you again. Lets talk that one through. I have 4 or 5 questions I would love to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It can be rough at times. I worry about money, work, etc. but for the most part it's good and definitely going to get better :)

Advertisement