Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the people of After Hours like kids?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Other people's kids can be annoying as hell. I don't know how creche workers do it to be honest. Your own kids will always act up more around you and then behave like little angels in other peoples company leading the other people to make remarks like; "they're so well behaved, I don't know what you mean when you say they're little brats".

Kids are manipulators, they can and will try to your patience at every opportunity. Life wouldn't be the same without them.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Anyone that says a child's smile doesn't touch them must be made of stone.

Yeah but I prefer a dogs smile :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Yeah but I prefer a dogs smile :p

A dog really lights up my life, but kids, no. Not winding anyone up, I'm just being honest. Yep, I know I'm odd, I've been told this often enough when the subject comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't understand the vitriol against children on here sometimes. It's baffling. Ok you might've had some experience of a brat running around but most parents have enough cop on to know where and when children belong and don't. I have two children and we don't bring them to certain places but if we do we try to be as considerate as possible and not to disturb others. Most parents we know are the same. There's assholes who are assholes whether they have children. Who do people think will be funding their pensions in the future?!

There's a lot of bad parents out there who think their children are beyond reproach. I read an article where they surveyed airline passengers about children. The point was to find out if people wanted child-free sections. The people who had the lowest opinion of children were parents, but unsurprisingly they disliked other peoples children.

It would make sense. Good parents would dislike children misbehaving and would look down on the bad parents. Bad parents wouldn't think their darlings were misbehaving but would still look down on others.

Childless people were annoyed but not much as parents.

As for funding my pension. I'm thinking a load of immigrants will do it. The world is very over populated and we have room for a few more here :) I actually like children but I don't know if I'll have any. If I did start a family I may think about adoption/fostering. I don't feel that my children have to have a genetic link to me and I think I could help a child that really needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Some do some dont

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I like them. They are mostly good craic, and you can do stuff with them adults aren't into (like play in the muck). I like their energy and innocence. They laugh easily. A lot of the kids I know at the moment are into fairies and I just love that sense of wonder in the world. It's great to see the world through the eyes of a child again. I never really grew up myself so for the most part I enjoy their company.

The only ones I'm not keen on are the whiny ones and the ones who won't try anything new. They're no fun. Brave kids are where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

There's really nothing like hearing a baby bellychuckling at the silliest thing- chuckling helplessly. It's just the cutest sound.

Or a child giggling innocently. Kids laughter is the best sound.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I love kids! I'm really good with kids from around a year old onwards. Babies don't really get me. I'm just not one of those people who finds it easy to coo and make faces at a little person who doesn't know how to smile yet. I feel awkward. When I'm holding a baby we generally just stare confusedly at each other until the poor little thing gets fed up and cries until he/she is taken by someone more entertaining.
    But when they start to smile it's great. Making them smile is the best feeling in the world and a babies laugh is the best sound ever. And then as they get older bit by bit you get to make them laugh by doing the simplest things and you feel like the world's best comedian :D.
    And kids are fun! I love doing art and playing games with them. And Peppa Pig is brilliant! :) And you'll always get an honest opinion from a child. I absolutely want at least 2 kids. I just hope I'll be ok during the "awkward" first few months :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I went through a stage where I pretty much disliked children on sight. I was the youngest in my family and never had any interaction with children, except when they were making noise on a commute.

Now I have a niece and a Goddaughter, and two of my close friends have babies. I still don't want one myself, but they are not at all that bad. :)

Just don't sit one beside me on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I generally don't like kids. I think they're a bit like marmite, you either like it or hate it. A perfect example of this was last Wednesday my mother and I were in Debenhams and there was a little girl running around shouting and generally attention seeking. My mother said 'that child has a great sense of humour'. I said 'she's a precocious little bitch'. True story:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Charlie bit me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They don't bother me much unless they're genuinely complete brats or really whingy ones which, when you discount normal kid tantrums and whatever, is rare enough.

Adults ranting about kids is far more tedious tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I don't like children, particularly toddlers/babies, they creep me the fuk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

Utterly indifferent when it comes to kids. Don't dislike them or anything, just would rather be not anywhere near them and have no intention of having any myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Who do people think will be funding their pensions in the future?!
    So it's a pyramid scheme, in other words? Or we could fund pensions with the money not spent on raising kids, perhaps?

Personally, it depends on what you mean by "like". I don't have any of my own, don't want any, and think that too many people have kids without thinking about the consequences. I get on well enough with kids of friends, but I don't have to take care of them full-time, and have nothing but admiration for my friends who manage to do that successfully. Kids reflect the attitudes of their parents, so it helps if I like the parents.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I don't understand the vitriol against children on here sometimes. It's baffling.
    It's quite simple really, not everyone feels the same way as you do.
    It's also not always about bad experience. I hated toddlers AS a toddler, figure that one out.
    Who do people think will be funding their pensions in the future?!
    Myself via private pension?
    (actually personally I hope to be dead by then. I've seen old age, I work with it. I don't want to reach it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I love kids, they're always changing, always surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I have a wee girl, she just turned 3 a few weeks ago and she drives me crazy at times. She's a good kid though, she's very polite and most of the time she has good manners.

I generally tend to dislike other peoples kids because they're noisy, cheeky, unmannerly little sh*ts, I think that's normally the parents fault. There are some really good kids though and I like them.

I've noticed that if you look at a lot of kids that have no manners and you knew the parents growing up, they were normally the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I don't understand the vitriol against children on here sometimes. It's baffling. Ok you might've had some experience of a brat running around but most parents have enough cop on to know where and when children belong and don't. I have two children and we don't bring them to certain places but if we do we try to be as considerate as possible and not to disturb others. Most parents we know are the same. There's assholes who are assholes whether they have children. Who do people think will be funding their pensions in the future?!

Well, if we weren't spending the absolute fortune that it costs on Child benefit, Education, Back to Education allowance, Social housing and medical treatment that it costs to fund kids until they are old enough to enter the workforce then funding pensions might not be such a big issue. We have mass emigration of Irish people, so they aren't going to be contributing to our Pensions and there's no shortage of migrant workers living here, there is no case to make for kids being 'necessary' to fund pensions or anything else. Kids are a luxury that costs the tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Don't like babies, don't like brats and crybabies but I do in general like kids. Especially around the age of four to sevenish where you can throw them around the place, and make up any auld sh1te and they'll believe you, and just that pure unfiltered stream of imagination that comes out of their minds. My housemate has a five year old and I'd honestly consider him a friend (though his feelings on that matter tend to change depending on how much TV I'm letting him watch), he's fecking hilarious and having known him since he was two it is pretty mindblowing watching him turn into his own wee person rather than just being a generic baby. If I walk into a room and there's an animal or a small child there, I know who'll I'll be making effort to interact with the most, bollocks to most adults, they're sh1te.

That said, I haven't a NOTION of having kids of my own, never had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement