Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishtown won't be ready until "Spring 2015"

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

dekbhoy wrote: »
    absolute disgraceful carry on. anything the city council are involved in seems a joke...... no accountability. cru should consider their options.

In fairness without the council, there be no tracks in alot of places!!

How come DSD have no track, I thought they were doing very well as club. Don't they run the mini marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

In fairness without the council, there be no tracks in alot of places!!

If someone drove a lorry onto a gaa pitch to install lights do you think the council would get away without the gaa club in situ running amok, or if it was a gaa club do you think the lorry would have even got out.

If someone drove a lorry onto a gaa pitch to install lights do you think the council would get away without the gaa club in situ running amok, or if it was a gaa club do you think the lorry would have even got out.

How many tracks do you think u would have in Dublin without the council?

Yes they did something wrong, but we would not be better off without their help.

How many tracks do you think u would have in Dublin without the council?

Yes they did something wrong, but we would not be better off without their help.

The reason we pay tax is to get public services and facilities. The Gaa just got €100m in cork, is it too much to ask for a €100k running track to be done properly? Is it ok to waste taxpayers money on making a haims of things for years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It didn't read that it was a lorry that done the damage, was it not a mobile high lift type of thing or was it an actual full size lorry of the type used to fix street lights?

The reason we pay tax is to get public services and facilities. The Gaa just got €100m in cork, is it too much to ask for a €100k running track to be done properly? Is it ok to waste taxpayers money on making a haims of things for years?

It's not to do with the gaa

Someone said the council should not be involved in these things, but who else will do it?

And remember the gaa gives a lot more back to the economy in what it generates for businesses etc

It's not to do with the gaa

Someone said the council should not be involved in these things, but who else will do it?

And remember the gaa gives a lot more back to the economy in what it generates for businesses etc

If they are amateur and don't pay people how do they contribute to the economy? Maybe it's all the under the table payments that the gaa doesn't pay tax on that you are referring to?

All sports contribute to the economy and if there was no gaa people would be doing another sport instead which would equally well contribute to the economy.

I know for a fact, having witessed it, that culchies rocking up to croker sit on the kerbs drinking home made tea or cans of harp so they don't have to spend a red cent up in the big schmoke.

If they are amateur and don't pay people how do they contribute to the economy? Maybe it's all the under the table payments that the gaa doesn't pay tax on that you are referring to?

All sports contribute to the economy and if there was no gaa people would be doing another sport instead which would equally well contribute to the economy.

I know for a fact, having witessed it, that culchies rocking up to croker sit on the kerbs drinking home made tea or cans of harp so they don't have to spend a red cent up in the big schmoke.

Here is how it generates the money :

1) 80,000 x 2 for all Ireland finals
    2) 40,000 x 4 for Munster hurling matches
    3) pubs, hotels and shops make a fortune on these days, it goes back to the tax man
    4) 3 sell out concerts in croke park, more money in hotels, shops and pubs
    5) Amount of money spent on transport by the fans and teams, goes to the taxman,
    6) All the other senior matches, bringing money into towns etc
    7) Jersey sales
    8) leasing out of the croke park for conventions and Xmas parties

Everyone takes under the table money, athletics is no different.

Anyhow ur derailing this thread, as nothing to do with gaa.

So back to my original question, who else will lookafter the tracks and do the maintenance oif not the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Yep, us culchies do that in Dublin but we also do that in all towns and places throughout the country all year long at many events like the ploughing, local county shows and oh, GAA matches.

I bet the businesses like shops and pubs, petrol stations, B&Bs, hotels, vendors, parking meters, car parks and lock hards wouldn't miss the culchies who don't spend money one bit if they sold Croke Park and the council built a running track there instead.

And by the way, I lived near Croke Park for 10 years and never saw an ounce of trouble from my country brothers and sisters.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Hi Jerry, nice to have u on boards.ie !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

As much as I dislike to deviate away from this GAA/Athletics funding conservation but there is breaking news on the pothole front.

It has been fixed :D

As much as I dislike to deviate away from this GAA/Athletics funding conservation but there is breaking news on the pothole front.

It has been fixed :D

But who fixed it? Surely not the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

It looks like government grade cement anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Someone looking to be elected!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It's fixed, but it's a real 5 minute job. The patchy bit is about half a centimetre lower in level than the rest of the track.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Someone looking to be elected!

Joan or Gerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Joan or Gerry?

Wouldn't it be someone in Dublin Bay south?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be someone in Dublin Bay south?

It was a joke. But you can put any of them in the bay itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Would love to know where that €100M figure comes from. Considering the entire GAA's revenue last year was €56M, i doubt one sub unit alone of the GAA is being given 100 Million Euro from the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Track is in fairly poor shape, lots of tears just past the finish line in 4 or 5 of the lanes.

However, there was a sign up saying that the track will be closed from the 30th to the 6th for maintenance, hopefully it's a proper fix

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

28064212 wrote: »
    Track is in fairly poor shape, lots of tears just past the finish line in 4 or 5 of the lanes.

However, there was a sign up saying that the track will be closed from the 30th to the 6th for maintenance, hopefully it's a proper fix

You were obv at the graded also. Yeh track in shocking bad condition, considering how long it was closed before I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be finished in 7days, I couldn't see that being a proper fix anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

My understanding is that the repairs were delayed till summer to avoid a repeat of the situation last time. No one wanted to let the original company (who must make good) near the track at a vulnerable time of year and have it closed for months over winter/spring again.

Advertisement