Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Roses/Heroes/Quality Street/Celebrations et al Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

For those who think they are getting a bargain..
    From left; late 1990s, both the 2000s, 2014/2015
    2F6D4AA800000578-3362889-This_photograph_shows_how_the_confectionery_giant_has_slimmed_do-m-17_1450287534577.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    For those who think they are getting a bargain..
    From left; late 1990s, both the 2000s, 2014/2015
    To be a fair comparison I would like to see the price per kilo of them back then, and the price per kilo of other bars back then too -or maybe just compare with inflation taken into account.

I remember in the 80s & early 90s roses & quality street were far more expensive per kilo than bars. I think I can recall really big tins of quality street being £12 in the 80s, you might see old irish christmas ads on youtube.

Celebrations 4.99 tubs are 750g (excluding wrappers), if you take an average bar as being 50g (many have gone lighter than that in recent years) then that is 15bars for a fiver, or 3 for a euro. Even comparing that to the best mulitpack deals it is pretty cheap. Many seemingly good mulitpack deals have smaller bars under 40g.

EDIT: found an ad in a dungarvan paper from december 13th 1991, a lb (454g) of quality street was £2.75 which is 3.75euro, so it would be 6.19euro to buy a 750g tub

another issue of the paper nov 1991 had a 5lb box of quality street at £10.39 so 13.20 euro
    http://snap.waterfordcoco.ie/collections/enewspapers/dungarvan_leader/1991/Dungarvan_Leader_12_Dec_13.pdf

that is 2268g, so roughly 3 x 750g tubs, which can be got for 15euro now. So people are probably right to consider it a bargain, especially as I would expect price per kilo to go down and I am giving the benefit of the doubt that those old weights included wrappers. A pint of guinness was showing as 2 euro back in 1991 on the guinness price index.
    http://www.finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/guinnessindex.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

A few years back, telco did "the big tin" of roses. It was either 3 or 2 for €10. That was something like a 2.2kg tin

matchthis wrote: »
    A few years back, telco did "the big tin" of roses. It was either 3 or 2 for €10. That was something like a 2.2kg tin
    If it was a few years ago it should be easy enough to find in a search. I did find a few cheap ones in old threads when I searched a year or so ago (as this topic comes up every year), but any really cheap ones invariably very limited, i.e. feck all people got them at that price, it was a gimmick to get people in the shop.

EDIT: here is one, with no comments about how everyone was complaining as so few people got them. it was also up north.
    gurramok wrote: »
    25-11-2005
    Think it was 0.67, but then again i paid by cc.
    Dunnes are giving a rate of 0.70 to the euro, which is best i reckon.
    Last time i was in Sainsbury's, i got the following according to the receipt :)
    24 Kronenberg bottles for £11.66
    24 Grolsch for £12.99
    20 Bud for £10.99
    2 Cadburys Heroes for £6, also same for Quality St, Celebrations
    Roses 2.2kg tin for £10
    Also Miller 24pk for £13, 6 Heineken for £6.49(all bottles), 8x500ml Bulmers cans for £9.49 in Dunnes.
    So 2.2kg roses was £10 and he got 0.67 rate so it was 14.92euro.

Current roses is 748g for a fiver. so that sainsbury tin would be 5.07euro for 748g.

Here is a thread from 2007 with 2.2kg tins for 6.44euro , but the comments were as I expected
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164593
    Davy wrote: »
    ye true, there HUGE tins 2.2kg,,, dont know if you could get your hands on any though seen a pallet gone in a few mins
    spurious wrote: »
    This was so funny to watch this morning in Artaine Castle. I was having a cup of coffee before shopping and could see them all coming out with the tins of Roses. One man was running to his car with one set while on the phone to his mate telling him about it. He then kept running back and forward to retrieve other pairs of tins from his kids. You'd think the world was ending. It was a right frenzy.

I still think the 'two for the price of one' tins of the posh biscuits was a better deal.
    Just been in Tesco Tallaght and i saw two staff walking in the store with two tins each. I asked them where they were and was told there was none left.

The two boys had two each for themselves.
    Vain wrote: »
    they dont last 2mins once people see them there for that price they all start taking them
    vibrant wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, that explains a lot!!

I was in my local Tesco earlier and noticed that there were LOADS of people loitering about - as in groups of about 3/4 women every couple of aisles, none of them were chatting away as you'd expect in a supermarket, instead they were looking around them really sketchily.

I was doing my shopping as per usual, and I noticed that one group were standing around an older lady - who was telling them that "they had a delivery at 2, the next one is at 4 - my husband and I managed to get 12 tins at home.... "

Madness! If you have to hang around the shop for hours in order to get the bargain in the first place... well that's not much of a bargain to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭crayon80

rubadub wrote: »

Loving the old paper. I'm off to the rip off thread next to complain that you'd get a Santa visit then for 75p , only 10p more than a tin of John West tuna

1991 does not feel that long ago but it's 24 years ago!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Any reductions on tubs or still mainly 4.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Rubadub you have a lot of spare time on your hands eh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Rubadub you have a lot of spare time on your hands eh! :D

My thoughts too!! But we appreciate your research ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Anywhere I could get 1 box/tub for €4.99? Think I read a few posts back that the aldi have the tub on offer for around a fiver..... Is that offer still on?

I have a €5.00 clubcard voucher for dunnes......how much are their tubs? I'm trying to avoid the 2 for €10 offer in Supervalu, as don't need to get that much chocolate.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Anywhere I could get 1 box/tub for €4.99? Think I read a few posts back that the aldi have the tub on offer for around a fiver..... Is that offer still on?

I have a €5.00 clubcard voucher for dunnes......how much are their tubs? I'm trying to avoid the 2 for €10 offer in Supervalu, as don't need to get that much chocolate.

Cheers

I think a few have started to drop prices. My local centra have them 2 for €10 now. Tesco had them for €5 each last time I checked, on Thursday I think. Last I seen Dunnes were €6 but think somebody might have said to me they had dropped, not sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cheers

ALDI got roses and celebrations for 4.99

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vicwatson wrote: »
    ALDI got roses and celebrations for 4.99

Tesco have Roses, Celebrations, Heroes and Quality Street- by the pallet load- for 4.99. I'm guessing they have over 10 times more Quality Street than any other type though........

rubadub wrote: »

What the hell were they doing still selling Commodore 64s in 1991? The advertisements are a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Big Quality St tin is 8 again in Supervalu.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What the hell were they doing still selling Commodore 64s in 1991? The advertisements are a hoot.

That was new technology in Waterford :pac:
    Tesco have Roses, Celebrations, Heroes and Quality Street- by the pallet load- for 4.99. I'm guessing they have over 10 times more Quality Street than any other type though........

Maynooth hasn't had anything but Quality Street for the past week, or at least never when I'm there.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

What's the going rate these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

What's the going rate these days?

These days, as in two days ago? €4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Is there anyone else here that thinks Quality Street are barely a level above the cheap pound shop chocolate.
    I find them absolutely awful.
    Miniature hero's all the way for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Is there anyone else here that thinks Quality Street are barely a level above the cheap pound shop chocolate.
    I find them absolutely awful.
    Miniature hero's all the way for me.

Yeah, quality street are fuking trash. You question if someone hates you if they give you a tin of quality street at Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm the opposite. I adore quality street!! Orange and red goey ones-divine!

• Advertisement

Have TESCO stopped selling the tubs?? Not on their website

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

None at all in my big local tesco either...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ben36

Sold out in Omni and my local Tesco extra

They were gone from the website a few days ago too, a few days in a row when I checked. I saw none in my shop either. Half glad as I demolished a tub in a few days :pac:

They have cartons 2 for €8 so maybe all tubs gone

warpdrive wrote: »
    Yeah, quality street are fuking trash. You question if someone hates you if they give you a tin of quality street at Christmas

At least they're not as bad as Roses (which seem to be pure soya protein these days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

warpdrive wrote: »

Pointless post, some like some wont, blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I remember last year that Dunnes cut their tins down to €4 or €4.50 I think on Christmas Eve or the day before so if you can hold on it should happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

kn wrote: »
    I remember last year that Dunnes cut their tins down to €4 or €4.50 I think on Christmas Eve or the day before so if you can hold on it should happen again.

I seem to remember them being 2.99 or so at one stage too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Techmaster wrote: »
    I seem to remember them being 2.99 or so at one stage too.
    1980s :confused:

Advertisement