Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options
  • 29-10-2014 3:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Yes its that time again and the yearly discussion on the topic is now something of an annual tradition here on Boards. The focus of the commemoration this year will centre on the First World War to mark the centenary of the outbreak, although all those who died in all wars will be remembered.

No doubt the usual thanks whoring will come in the posts that follow with ccomments like 'oh for fcuk's sake, not again' or I am disappoint OP, I was hoping for a thread on heroin cultivation.

These are often followed by comments from the true gael 800 years of misery and woe brigade who try and convince us that anyone who remembers the war dead of 1914-18 must be a traitor who cannot possibly be a true Irish person.

Thankfully however, for a good part of previous threads, there are many comments that recognise the sacrifice and loss of almost 50,000 Irish men and women in the Great War.

This year's commemoration has added signifigance for Ireland as the Irish Ambassador will for the first time, lay a wreath at the Cenotaph in Whitehall on our behalf. This follows a visit late last year by An Taoiseach and the British Prime Minister as equals to the war graves of Irishmen and Britishmen in Flanders and their attendance at the nightly Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate.
    Following the state visit by President Higgins to the UK earlier this year, ties between the two nations have never been closer and there is now an undoubted acceptance and reognintion of the losses of Irish men and women by governments and people on both sides of the Irish Sea.

For decades wearing the poppy was seen as a badge of shame and treachery in Ireland, but this wasn't always the case. Back in the 1920's after independence many thousands attended parades and ceremonies here to remember those who died for them less than a deade before. In 1926 some 40,000 people gathered in the Phoenix Park to pay their respect. More on that here.

Nobody expects or demands a return to such high profile displays of commemoration in 2014 Ireland and I suspect that those who lost their lives in WWI wouldn't want such fuss either. All they would ask, whether you wear a poppy or not, is that you take a brief moment on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - to remember them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

FFS!
    Buy one or don't buy one. Make your own mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Oh for fcuks sake, not again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And so it begins...

I am disappoint, OP. I was hoping for a thread in heroin cultivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why start a thread if you know verbatim how it will turn out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No doubt the usual thanks whoring will come in the posts that follow with ccomments like 'oh for fcuk's sake, not again' or I am disappoint OP

Hopefully it'll just be closed or moved to politics this time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

We can remember In our own way. No need to follow the britsh way of mass conforming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,244 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't we have a poppy forum?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

From a post I made in another thread;
    I feel a particular connection to WWI because my great-grandfather (maternal Grandfather's father) fought during the Battle of Ypres ( a little town in Belgium) in 1914 as part of the Royal Field Artillery. He was a gunner and suffered a shrapnel wound to the leg which in a sort of twisted way proved lucky because although he lost his leg it meant he made it home.

We recently went as a family, including my grandfather and grandmother, to Ypres and toured some of the battlegrounds, as well as the unbelievable number of war graves and some preserved Allied and German trenches and it was one of the most meaningful and eye opening trips I've ever been on, added to by the fact that we were there 100 years to the day when my great-grandfather would have gone to battle there.

We are also lucky enough to still have his medals as well as various discharge papers and other documents relating to his time in the army.

I am all for wearing the poppy and for remembrance.

It's not about not being truly Irish or ignoring or worse accepting what was done to this country over 800 years of occupation.

It's about remembering the millions of young men who gave their lives for a common cause and endured the horror of the trenches for a war which none of them probably wanted or agreed with.

Of course I think particularly of the Irish men who fought and died but I'm sure the poppy represents different regiments and countries to different people.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 paulieG89

Nobody died for me !!

They died for themselves and their families. My own view is (god be good) may anybody that fought against the Germans in either war burn in the deepest depths of hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Do 'De Ingerlish' wear an Easter Lilly?

*rabble, rabble, rabble*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I really enjoyed the preemptive condescension and general p*ssing over anyone's opinion that wasn't totally in line with the one expressed in the op.

Bravo :rolleyes:

paulieG89 wrote: »
    Nobody died for me !!

They died for themselves and their families. My own view is (god be good) may anybody that fought against the Germans in either war burn in the deepest depths of hell.

Dafuq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Prepare yourselves for another shíte x-factor charity single... This in itself is more upsetting to me than a poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

GAAman wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the condescension and general p*ssing over anyone's opinion that wasn't totally in line with the one expressed in the op.

Bravo :rolleyes:

At least they didn't threaten to shoot us.. as is the wont of some people in Engerland towards those who choose not to wear it

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/nov/18/sunderland-james-mcclean-death-threat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh yay is it that time of the year, Poppy, Halloween, then you know you're close to xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

paulieG89 wrote: »
    Nobody died for me !!

You opened a new account to say this.

Do not feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Starting a poppy thread in AH is a lot like pouring a basin of water and fairy liquid in your lawn, all the crawlies of all varieties rise up.

Lapin wrote: »
    You opened a new account to say this.

Do not feed.

I shall annoint you, the thread police.

• Advertisement

I shall annoint you, the thread police.

Well it doesn't take brains to work out what he's at in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I am disappoint, OP. I was hoping for a thread in heroin cultivation.

Afaik, we don't have the climate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Both of my great grandfathers were fighting on opposite sides,what should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Both of my great grandfathers were fighting on opposite sides,what should I do?

Wear half a poppy. Then burn the other half, without a flicker of emotion on your face ideally.

Yup. Trains would be on time , filthy Jews wouldn't run the world and Ireland wouldn't be full of blacks, dirty animals would be hung, few kept as slave labour.

Thank god he took out a load of them before he was called to heaven.

LAPIN LAPIN, I found another

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

I feel a particular connection to WWI because my great-grandfather (maternal Grandfather's father) fought during the Battle of Ypres ( a little town in Belgium) in 1914 as part of the Royal Field Artillery. He was a gunner and suffered a shrapnel wound to the leg which in a sort of twisted way proved lucky because although he lost his leg it meant he made it home.

We recently went as a family, including my grandfather and grandmother, to Ypres and toured some of the battlegrounds, as well as the unbelievable number of war graves and some preserved Allied and German trenches and it was one of the most meaningful and eye opening trips I've ever been on, added to by the fact that we were there 100 years to the day when my great-grandfather would have gone to battle there.

We are also lucky enough to still have his medals as well as various discharge papers and other documents relating to his time in the army.

My grandfather fought at Ypres too, with the Dublin Fusiliers. I think he was shot in the leg but made it home okay. Lived 'til he was 93.

LAPIN LAPIN, I found another

Calm down Rex and have a bikkie.

How do you know he isn't giving a sarcastic response to the post he quoted?

You need to think before you speak son. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Do 'De Ingerlish' wear an Easter Lilly?

*rabble, rabble, rabble*

How many british citizens have died while serving in the irish defence forces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Fear not, the real thread police are here!!

*cops theme tune*

Gimmie a minute to sort stuff out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

OK, I wasn't here for the last one so I'll just give out a simple warning, keep the charter in mind and don't be a dick.

Advertisement