Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox tv tuner.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Does it take long to scan ? I have mine set to Freeview Northern Ireland OTA

It should pick up radio stations at least surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GlennTKD

calex71 wrote: »
    Does it take long to scan ? I have mine set to Freeview Northern Ireland OTA

It should pick up radio stations at least surely?

I tried the same setting today and got about 8 regular tv channels and about 20 radio channels, is that what to expect or should there be more?

Also have you tried a different post code in the idea of finding more channels?

GlennTKD wrote: »
    I tried the same setting today and got about 8 regular tv channels and about 20 radio channels, is that what to expect or should there be more?

Also have you tried a different post code in the idea of finding more channels?

What part of the country are you in ? If you wouldn't not normally receive UK stations you won't get them with this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GlennTKD

What part of the country are you in ? If you wouldn't not normally receive UK stations you won't get them with this either.

I'm normally get the standard 14 with bbc, channel 4 and so on, still nothing yet with the xbox tunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Quick question on this. Do i need an aerial to plug this into or will it pick up the stations automatically once connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

stuchyg wrote:
    Quick question on this. Do i need an aerial to plug this into or will it pick up the stations automatically once connected

You need an aerial. A basic indoor one does the job!

stuchyg wrote: »

You plug an aerial into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Not sure I follow why anyone would need this. Surely it works the same in Ireland and the UK as everywhere else, in that you plug the HDMI out from your digibox into the Xbox and watch through there? Why the need for a tuner? Are people attempting to use their Xbox AS their digibox or something?

COYVB wrote: »
    Not sure I follow why anyone would need this. Surely it works the same in Ireland and the UK as everywhere else, in that you plug the HDMI out from your digibox into the Xbox and watch through there? Why the need for a tuner? Are people attempting to use their Xbox AS their digibox or something?

For my office/gaming room where I don't have a tv or a 'digibox'.

The other advantage being I can watch tv on my tablet anywhere in the house thanks the the xbox tv tuner.

Gotcha. Makes sense I suppose - probably cheaper ways of doing it than an Xbox tuner though. Saorview boxes aren't pricey

• Advertisement

Gotcha. Makes sense I suppose - probably cheaper ways of doing it than an Xbox tuner though. Saorview boxes aren't pricey

Tbh with you I only got it as I couldn't think of anything else to tell my sister to get me for Christmas when she asked :P

Ha, good a reason as any!

Ha, good a reason as any!

I found that since mid-november or so the built in tuner on my tv would either no longer pick up UK channels or when it did they were choppy and unwatchable especially HD ones. They are perfect with the Xbox tuner. Same aerial cable going into the tuner that was previously in the TV :confused:

Also the streaming TV to pc/mobile/tablet is a god send if someone wants to watch TV if you happen to be in a multiplayer game you can't just drop it and leave lads in the lurch on. No if only they could do that so you could stream the game to a device like on PS4 to Vita/Sony Phone

Just noticed tonight that the smartglass app on phone/windows is only listing irish stations, favorites are blank but should list film4 etc. Xbox guide will still let me view and list uk ones but it's region set to UK for that region. Could that be a sign for irish support for the tuner?

It's gas that the reception is the best it's ever been for me on the UK stations now using the tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just noticed tonight that the smartglass app on phone/windows is only listing irish stations, favorites are blank but should list film4 etc. Xbox guide will still let me view and list uk ones but it's region set to UK for that region. Could that be a sign for irish support for the tuner?

It's gas that the reception is the best it's ever been for me on the UK stations now using the tuner.

It really boils down to where you live and the aerial type you have - if your in Dublin city you should point to 3 rock with an indoor aerial no problem, not sure how many UK freeview you would get though... (if any)

The likes of me in the wilds of North County Dublin, need an outdoor aerial, pointing north iirc, but I can get decent UK signal on built in TV tuner of my tv on cloudy days (via Saorview) but a bit of rain and I have to switch to the satellite box for my UK ones.... :)

An outdoor UHF will always kick the ass of an indoor one, the lads on the Terrestrial TV forum may explain areas and aerial differences better - some really knowledgeable posters over there....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just on this topic; I have a Horizon box from NTL. When I plugged it into the TV port of the Xbox, it seemed to be using an older channel guide. Anyone been able to get this working correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I'm thinking of getting one of these - can anyone let me know if the cable interface accepts the type of cable that comes from a a Satellite LNB. Thanks in advance.

rtron wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one of these - can anyone let me know if the cable interface accepts the type of cable that comes from a a Satellite LNB. Thanks in advance.

No it's RF I think it's called, the one you would use to connect an aerial to the back of most TV's.

In your case with a sat feed you would be better with a cheap freesat box and connecting with hdmi to the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

rtron wrote: »
    Nope, unfortunately not.

The signal from a satellite will be DVB-S / S2 encoded. The Xbox One TV Tuner supports DVB-T / T2 (essentially aerial - like Saorview / Freeview / FreeviewHD) and I believe DVB-C (cable tv) signals only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Seems to be a shortage of stock none in any Argos dublin store and no stock on Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

I'm thinking of getting this, does it work with full functionality in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 A1an006

Just to let everyone know, this is now supported in Ireland for preview members, as of today.

[http://]majornelson[dot]com/2015/04/08/tv-on-xbox-gets-more-versatile-with-over-the-air-tuner-for-the-u-s-and-canada/

(I cant post links :/)

A1an006 wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know, this is now supported in Ireland for preview members, as of today.

http://majornelson.com/2015/04/08/tv-on-xbox-gets-more-versatile-with-over-the-air-tuner-for-the-u-s-and-canada/?linkId=13398008

(I cant post links :/)

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

So just wondering if someone can give me thoughts on the Xbox Tuner? Is there any point in getting it if you already have sky box plugged into your Xbox?

Whats the difference if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Domie

Any more luck with this?

Still saying not available in the Ireland region. I changed to the uk region with postcode but all channels are encrypted?!

Can anyone help?

Also using the upc cable connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Domie wrote: »
    Any more luck with this?

Still saying not available in the Ireland region. I changed to the uk region with postcode but all channels are encrypted?!

Can anyone help?

I joined xbox preview and have free Irish ota channels, but not using a box at all

Any more luck with this?

Can anyone help?

A UPC cable assuming you are in dublin should not even fit into one of the Xbox tuners without some kind of adaptor. Been a year or two since I moved but recall those cables being a BNC or similar and not RF. Either way the signal coming through their cables is not what the xbox tuner was designed for.

The only way this will possibly work for you is if you have an aerial on the roof and that gets connected to the tuner or one of those in door aerial jobbies other wise your UPC connection might as well be sky and you willhave to connect a upc box via the hdmi passthrough on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Any more luck with this?

Can anyone help?

Hi Domie, if you have just a UPC cable connected to the TV Tuner you are not going to have much luck with it as it will try and scan and show all of the channels that are available on UPC's digital service.

To get the Saorview channels you would need to hook it up to an external or internal aerial

The TV tuner is compatible with DVB-C cable transmissions but with no access to the decoder card, that would be in a UPC digital box it would not do you much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Domie

Thanks for the advice.. ended up just getting horizon TV. Now Ill probably sell the tv tuner to CEX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,955 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks for the advice.. ended up just getting horizon TV. Now Ill probably sell the tv tuner to CEX.

I might be interested in that. Send me a PM

Advertisement