Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox tv tuner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

danois wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=656564

This is available in argos but I read somewhere it won't work in ireland?? Does anyone know for sure if it works here or is it just the uk??

Thanks.
    From a technical standpoint it should work in Ireland - it has the right type of tuner in it.

The only complication might come from if the software doesn't have Ireland enabled as a market yet, you mightn't get the OneGuide stuff for the Saorview channels.

(Although that is enabled for the HDMI-In, so again should theoretically work for this USB tuner).

There are a couple of "should"s in there. If you buy it, keep the receipt and bring it back if it doesn't work (or hang on to it because its likely to work in the not to distant future)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

From a technical standpoint it should work in Ireland - it has the right type of tuner in it.

The only complication might come from if the software doesn't have Ireland enabled as a market yet, you mightn't get the OneGuide stuff for the Saorview channels.

(Although that is enabled for the HDMI-In, so again should theoretically work for this USB tuner).

There are a couple of "should"s in there. If you buy it, keep the receipt and bring it back if it doesn't work (or hang on to it because its likely to work in the not to distant future)

I reckon for the price it's worth a shot. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

danois wrote: »
    I reckon for the price it's worth a shot. Thanks.

For what it's worth I don't have TV connected to my xbox but I can see the irish tv listings on the one guide , and saorview is an option when you set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Any1 get one of these yet just picked mine up to day gonna set it up 2morro.wondering eat region to set it to when setting up for English freeview

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

gotthebug wrote: »
    Any1 get one of these yet just picked mine up to day gonna set it up 2morro.wondering eat region to set it to when setting up for English freeview

You'll only be able to pick up the Irish channels (Saorview) unless you're living in the UK or Ni?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

I picked one of these up earlier. The first thing is the Xbox needs to be set to a supported region, so I chose UK. Secondly it requires a postcode and searches channels based on this, I tried a UK one but no channels were found (I have it connected to an aerial I use for Saorview). So I'm not sure if it will work here but I'll have another fiddle around with it tomorrow. If anyone has some suggestions in the meantime let me know and I'll try them.

Shred wrote: »
    I picked one of these up earlier. The first thing is the Xbox needs to be set to a supported region, so I chose UK. Secondly it requires a postcode and searches channels based on this, I tried a UK one but no channels were found (I have it connected to an aerial I use for Saorview). So I'm not sure if it will work here but I'll have another fiddle around with it tomorrow. If anyone has some suggestions in the meantime let me know and I'll try them.

I'm still playing with it too , but I got it working. Didn't pick it up when I connected it first with region set to ireland, set to UK rebooted said it lost my setting when I went to TV on the Xbox, so went through set up again set BT35 as the post code (Newry) freeview, free digital set it to scan , returned around 50 or so channels including the irish ones :)

Oh Also tested it streaming to smart glass on PC works very well indeed , only thing is neither the xbox or pc show program info in the guide which is annoying.

Nice one, I'll give that a crack so!

Yep that did the trick Calex, I'm picking up 71 channels supposedly (mostly radio), fair play. It works really well I must say and the SD channels are miles ahead of their quality on Sky with their sneaky downgrading tactics. Voice, casting to smartglass, live pause etc are spot on. It's a pity the one guide isn't populated but at least you can see what's on now/next when you switch to a channel.

Yep that did the trick Calex, I'm picking up 71 channels supposedly (mostly radio), fair play. It works really well I must say and the SD channels are miles ahead of their quality on Sky with their sneaky downgrading tactics. Voice, casting to smartglass, live pause etc are spot on. It's a pity the one guide isn't populated but at least you can see what's on now/next when you switch to a channel.

Ah hopefully once we get official support we can put the old rte guide away :p

• Advertisement

Sure we'll probably only have to wait a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi,

Just wondering which channels you are picking up?

Any of the BBCs etc?

Guess it's possible to pick those up if you are reasonably near the border.

I'm in Dublin so I'm not picking up any UK channels at all; I'm getting all the RTEs (+1s etc), TV3/e3, TG4, lots of radio stations.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering which channels you are picking up?

Any of the BBCs etc?

Guess it's possible to pick those up if you are reasonably near the border.

I'm in drogheda, getting all irish and bbc 1,2,3 + news, channel 4, +1, more, E, film , channel 5, itv2 , basically it should pick up what ever you normally get on saorview when set to uk and freeview digital. So if you are getting those uk channels on saor view you should get them on the one tuner.

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm in drogheda, getting all irish and bbc 1,2,3 + news, channel 4, +1, more, E, film , channel 5, itv2

Bastid :pac:

I'm in drogheda, getting all irish and bbc 1,2,3 + news, channel 4, +1, more, E, film , channel 5, itv2 , basically it should pick up what ever you normally get on saorview when set to uk and freeview digital. So if you are getting those uk channels on saor view you should get them on the one tuner.
    Do they all appear with program info in the OneGuide, or do you only get UK or Irish, but not both together?

Do they all appear with program info in the OneGuide, or do you only get UK or Irish, but not both together?

Yeah they all appear on one list but as I said you see the station name but 'no information' for all the programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Can you record TV with this?

Can you record TV with this?

No. There is a pause / rewind feature that uses 4gb of hard drive space that runs for around 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Got ttheirish channels with the normal aerial but trying with an old sky disc witch I get all the freeview through the Tele but getting nothing through the tuner any1 any ideas

• Advertisement

I know you can get this in Argos but does anyone know if it's available in Xtravision? I didn't realise it had the pause feature, that's class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

i can get the UK channels where i live but with the tuner can you get the UK HD channels too? if i could id definitely get it.

gotthebug wrote: »
    Got ttheirish channels with the normal aerial but trying with an old sky disc witch I get all the freeview through the Tele but getting nothing through the tuner any1 any ideas

The TV tuner is for channels from the Aerial only and not for satellite. The UK channels you see on your old Sky dish are FreeSat rather than Freeview.

Unfortunately, unless you live in an area where you receive Freeview (e.g. Border areas, or parts of the Wexford coast) you won't be able to use the Tuner to view UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

I bought this today and have gotten uk free view HD channels,I'm only 20 miles from the border but I'm delighted to get the HD channels... A huge bonus.

Nice one Al. I've been really enjoying this over the past few days. I packed in Sky last month so it's been great to have live pause back. Two nights ago I was watching Second Captains and decided to hit the hay so I cast to the iPad, paused, went and got ready for bed and then continued watching when I got into bed. Last night I was watching the Liverpool game on ITV HD through the Sky box but had TV3 on on the Xbox so I could rewind if I wanted to re-watch a phase of play. Then tonight I watched the City game on RTE2 HD. It pretty much worked flawlessly throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Gone up to 38.99 in argos now :/

No TV listings on mine. Is there a way to fix this?

No TV listings on mine. Is there a way to fix this?
    I'm still playing with it too , but I got it working. Didn't pick it up when I connected it first with region set to ireland, set to UK rebooted said it lost my setting when I went to TV on the Xbox, so went through set up again set BT35 as the post code (Newry) freeview, free digital set it to scan , returned around 50 or so channels including the irish ones :)

Try what Calex said, switch xbox region to UK & enter BT35 as the post code. Should work?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Try what Calex said, switch xbox region to UK & enter BT35 as the post code. Should work?

Did that and I have all the Irish TV and radio channels but no listings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 GlennTKD

I'm having no luck with this, set it too UK, use BT35 as post code, selected freeview and I either get nothing or I get 4 locked channels.

Any suggestions or help? Please

Advertisement