Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens if you die poor.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Chunners wrote: »
    The solution is simple OP, if you can't afford to die then don't, it ****ing sickens me now a days how Irish people constantly complain about not being able to afford the non essentials, "Boo hoo hoo smokes are too expensive" well then quit, "Boo hoo hoo pints cost too much" well then drink at home, "Boo hoo hoo I can't afford to die" well then stop having aneurysms...simple as.

Thanks for that doctor chunners

And now for your thoughts on the Ukraine crisis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Coroners make the decision. They do the post mortem on you and then they bury you. The state covers the cost.

And then your corpse lies rotting in the earth, for eternity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

You still go to valhalla but they use zip firelighters instead of an archer

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    A loan or a grant? What would being in the CU have to do with a state grant?

A loan? to a DEAD person?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Egginacup wrote: »
    A loan? to a DEAD person?

Yeah, they don't call it a mortgage for nothing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

You get cremated at a lower temperature, so as to not dispose of the bones, with the added bonus of it being not as expensive in fuel costs at the crematorium.
    The bones are then taken and boiled, before being milled, twisted and bent into water meters, which are then used to annoy the rest of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So I've been thinking a lot about this lately as someone that has no savings or assetts of any kind what would happen if I died in the morning. ? I have a two year old and a partner in college who would not be able to pay for my funeral either. Is there a mass grave somewhere that I will be thrown into or what ?. I know it's morbib but I'd like to know if anyone could shed any light on this subject for me. Thanks

The worry about such things can be worse than the reality of it happening.

People tend to rally together in dire circumstances if the worst were to happen.

Don't waste your life worrying about stuff that may never happen, enjoy your life with your 2 year old and partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

What I really think happens is you local authority has responsibility for the safe disposal of your remains they put your funeral out to tender to the funeral directors in the area and choose whoever will do it the cheapest.
    You then get a very basic service and cremation

Its similar here to the poor law in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I wanna end up here...
    http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/body-farm-sci

Either that or Soylent green.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Most people already have 10 fingers and 10 toes for counting. Why not donate to Home Economics?

Thought this might be a suitable time to re open this thread....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057288793http://

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MissKittenfire

This thread needs more Dickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder if Heavens gates have those priority boarding like Ryanair for the rich folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Fur Jayz sakes - who gives a Fook - shure you'll be Dead. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

you either get buried in an unmarked mass grave or cremated and scattered in oblivion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

ave a gander at this ,since its close to halloween :eek:
    Cremation of human body
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBaCZ3slis
    (not for those of delicate disposition :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If you die poor it means you are a success. Dying rich implies a lack of imagination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

You'd get a funeral grant and your spouse would receive welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Is there a mass grave somewhere that I will be thrown into or what ?

You can donate your body to the meat factory and get recycled as dog food. Won't cost you a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Because of your age you can take out life insurance at a very reasonable rate. It mightn't be something you can afford right now but might be worth looking into for the future. A large number of my clients are unemployed and take policies at the minimum premium just to cover funeral expenses. Because of your age you should be able to get a lot of cover for very little. Subject to medical information and smoker status

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Funerals are quite a depressing waste of money when you think of it. 6 grand to be displayed in a box for a few days and then either burned or buried? Madness Ted!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

There is a death grant. It pays for the very basics of a basic coffin, plot and sangiwdges for the mourners. It won't be worrying you when you're dead though. It's left to your next of kin to apply for.

Oh btw - I think the grant is about 1,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think that may have been abolished

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CentimoSal

Sclosages wrote: »
    There is a death grant. It pays for the very basics of a basic coffin, plot and sangiwdges for the mourners. It won't be worrying you when you're dead though. It's left to your next of kin to apply for.

do the sambos have salmon on them?

CentimoSal wrote: »
    do the sambos have salmon on them?
    Whatever change is left over from the coffin I think lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

The Bereavement grant is no longer available.

There are 4 grants that may assist:
    1. Social Welfare Payments Following Death - 6 weeks of social welfare payments (assume you are on JSB/JSA) to your widow, civil partner or cohabitant
    2. Widowed Persons Grant - a one-off payment of €6,000 to the widow/widower or civil partner with dependant children
    3. Special Funeral Grant - €850 in the event of a work-related death
    4. Exceptional and Urgent Needs Payment - At the discretion of your DSP Representative.

However, your "partner" may have trouble claiming from any of these as the first only applies if you are cohabitant at a minimum (your initial post doesn't state), the second only applies if you are married (your initial post doesn't state), the third applies only to work-related deaths and the fourth cannot be claimed by people working or in full-time education (which you indicate your partner is).

Ultimately, the best advise I can give you is, as a parent (and a partner) you need to take steps provide financial protection in the event of your death. I don't see you mention your age anywhere, but assume you are relatively young (so extremely low risk of dying in the coming weeks/months). However, you should aim to protect your loved ones as soon as possible (and not just from the point of funeral costs).

Finally, you mention nothing about parents/sibling/friends. Do you have any (that would help with the costs)? If you have no next-of-kin, the DSP/Local Authority will dispose of your remains on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

1 Sheet.
    1 ball of twine.
    1 heavy rock.
    1 hour boat rental.

Burial at sea is pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

dotsman wrote: »
    The Bereavement grant is no longer available.

There are 4 grants that may assist:
    1. [
    2. Widowed Persons Bereavement - a one-off payment of €6,000 to the widow/widower or civil partner

that is the bereavement grant that was discontinued i think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Heard a member of the Glasnevin Cemetary Board on the radio this morning. They operate 5 different cemetaries in and around Dublin and he said that one of the original charitable functions of the trust was to bury deceased people whos families had no money, back 80-100 years ago. That function remains in use, though rarely. So, if all else fails, Glasnevin will bury and/or cremate you with dignity as an act of charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Riskymove wrote: »
    that is the bereavement grant that was discontinued i think

I probably shouldn't have put the word "bereavement" in there!

The Standard Bereavement Grant (for €850) was discontinued. The grant I am referring to is the Widowed (or Surviving Civil Partner) Grant which is for €6,000 where there are dependant children.

Advertisement