Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens if you die poor.

Options
  • 29-10-2014 1:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46

So I've been thinking a lot about this lately as someone that has no savings or assetts of any kind what would happen if I died in the morning. ? I have a two year old and a partner in college who would not be able to pay for my funeral either. Is there a mass grave somewhere that I will be thrown into or what ?. I know it's morbib but I'd like to know if anyone could shed any light on this subject for me. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I think the state pays for the burial or there's some kind of grant maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,127 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

You can get a grant if you're in the credit union - don't know about if not.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

you get cremated and your ashes are scattered out the back of a garda station after the pigs eat whats left of you

A loan or a grant? What would being in the CU have to do with a state grant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nidgeweaseal

William F wrote: »
    you get cremated and your ashes are scattered out the back of a garda station after the pigs eat whats left of you

Well if that's the case count me in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's a funeral grant I think, the welfare office are the ones to talk to.

I know a few elderly people around here that worry constantly about not being able to cover their funeral, and as I say to them, I've never heard of anyone being left above ground yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I was thinking of donating my body to science... but then I thought, science gets all the cool ****, why not donate my body to maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

iv a big back garden....if you have a couple of mates who can dig a hole ican fit you in and plant some tulips

It's not a grant it's family death benefit and I'm not a member of a cu. Couldn't afford it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

your organs go to ALDI for the meat super 6

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Is there an after life so if a dead person applies for a grant after dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,127 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A loan or a grant? What would being in the CU have to do with a state grant?

Not sure. A friend's mother died a few years ago and they paid part of the funeral costs. Now, I don't know obviously what state her finiances were with them at the time, sot hat may have had a bearing, but apparently they do grants for memebers as well.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Links234 wrote: »
    I was thinking of donating my body to science... but then I thought, science gets all the cool ****, why not donate my body to maths?

Never count on mathematicians.

dennyire wrote: »
    iv a big back garden....if you have a couple of mates who can dig a hole ican fit you in and plant some tulips

You need permission first but I have time. Also if you move what happens ? Some little snot nose kid digs me up and molests me

Links234 wrote: »
    I said I would donate my body to science but they told me they would dispute the will

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This government abolished the grant towards funeral expenses (bereavement) which was means tested afaik.

Those who die completely without means or family are buried in communal plots with costs covered by local authorities. Personally I want to be composted ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The bereavement grant is gone afaik

I said I would donate my body to science but they told me they would dispute the will

They would probably take mine, I have this image of it being like the start of mortuary mission in gta v. Apologies if you don't get my reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its a life assurance policy that's included with cu membership. Not too sure how much the pay out is.

They would probably take mine, I have this image of it being like the start of mortuary mission in gta v. Apologies if you don't get my reference.
    You'll be gone once Fran catches up with you, he has a bone to pick with ye

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

With your username OP, I'm not surprised you're dwelling on the subject of your own demise lately.

Although your missus kept quiet about the college bit.

And pull the other one about having no assets or cash stashed aside. ;)

I should probably say I'm only 23 but since my daughter came along I worry about these things. I hopefully won't be unemployed much longer either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You have a while to go yet before worrying I'd imagine!

I've asked to be put through a wood chipper and used as a rich mix for a garden.

Lapin wrote: »
    With your username OP, I'm not surprised you're dwelling on the subject of your own demise lately.

Although your missus kept quiet about the college bit.

And pull the other one about having no assets or cash stashed aside. ;)

It's a stupid username my name isnt even Nigel ha

You need permission first but I have time. Also if you move what happens ? Some little snot nose kid digs me up and molests me
    "if you move what happens '? if you move your probably not dead so no problem there

Ruu wrote: »

I've asked to be put through a wood chipper and used as a rich mix for a garden.
    You been watching Fargo again?

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil? :D

Thing is though if my family history is anything to go by I may just die in ten years time. I have this crazy idea though I bought an old camper van and some funnells and flasks and what not I'm going to start making lemonade in my old camper van. I will be rich

"if you move what happens '? if you move your probably not dead so no problem there

Did you read the comment I was quoting when I said that ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

I think that grant is gone now

Advertisement