Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The press release from last October, which I think is still all we can refer to, says 66 communities. Which is suitably vague.

eircom Group today announced that it will significantly increase broadband speeds currently available on its fibre broadband network by offering one gigabit (1,000 megabits per second) connectivity in 66 communities across the country

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

The press release from last October, which I think is still all we can refer to, says 66 communities. Which is suitably vague.

eircom Group today announced that it will significantly increase broadband speeds currently available on its fibre broadband network by offering one gigabit (1,000 megabits per second) connectivity in 66 communities across the country

True but in says also that work would commence in Cavan Town, Letterkenny Town and Kilkenny City in November 2014 with a view to completion within six months.

"These superfast speeds will be underpinned by ‘end to end’ fibre connections through the use of fibre to the home (FTTH) technology. Customer connections will be provided as demand for this connectivity emerges".

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/eircom_Wholesale_to_Offer_Gigabit_Broadband_Speeds/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PeadarB wrote: »
    True but in says also that work would commence in Cavan Town, Letterkenny Town and Kilkenny City in November 2014 with a view to completion within six months.

"These superfast speeds will be underpinned by ‘end to end’ fibre connections through the use of fibre to the home (FTTH) technology. Customer connections will be provided as demand for this connectivity emerges".

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/eircom_Wholesale_to_Offer_Gigabit_Broadband_Speeds/

Still doesn't provide any enlightenment as to how far it will reach from the cabs. The next sentence in the press release says "areas of" the 66 locations and detailed plans to be announced. Until we get that it is a matter of speculation.

The planned footprint includes areas of all five major cities, major regional centres and every county town in Ireland. Detailed rollout plans for each community will be announced in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

How did a small town like Roscrea make the list? Bigger towns than that in Tipperary. Thurles, Carrick on Suir for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Size has very little to do with it. Its about the practicalities of deployment, and where TD's have constituency offices.

• Advertisement

Hackery wrote: »
    Under the current pricing regime the installation of an ONT is charged at €27.50 to line up with FTTC. This charge includes all the fibre build out and will continue to do so when seperated out from FTTC and increased to €150.
    I've tried to decipher the latest "TBC" Bitstream Price List. Looking back the effective commencement date for eircom efibre was 20/05/2013. Mine was originally connected on 30/05/13. The wholesale NGA Virtual Unbundled Access monthly rental charges were €17.50 for standalone and €5.98 for pots based.

The proposed FTTH service shows an effective commencement date of 31/08/15 and wholesale NGA Virtual Unbundled Accesss POTS Based 150Mbps starts at €6.98; 300Mbps €11.98; and 1000Mbps €21.98 -
    the wholesale NGA Virtual Unbundled Accesss Standalone Based 150Mbps starts at €20.50; 300Mbps €25.50; and 1000Mbps €35.50.

It will be interesting to see how the pots based charges will compare to the current efibre one.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Interesting new video on the eircom Wholesale website. They seem to be cracking on with FTTH ahead of the August launch which is great to see.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/home/

Interesting new video on the eircom Wholesale website. They seem to be cracking on with FTTH ahead of the August launch which is great to see.

I tried to get some info from the sales team for Letterkenny but like the fibre it seems they are still in the "dark." 60 Kms laid in Cavan, Letterkenny and Sligo so far. Per the video they are laying about half a mile up the road from me, near Solomons so hopefully they will get here by August. Great news though and a renewed sense of excitement.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Deagol

Says they've commenced build in 16 of the 66 towns, anyone know which 16? I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

In fairness that video is quite good. Real engineers real people. One or two segments could have done with a few more takes, but that's down to the director on the day / poor editing, possibly lack of scripting. Does make it all the more real I guess.

Ftth is really coming, years ahead of when I thought it would. I honestly wonder will the Esb / Vodafone project go ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Ftth is really coming, years ahead of when I thought it would. I honestly wonder will the Esb / Vodafone project go ahead![/QUOTE]

They probably will, even though the business case may not stack up quite as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Praetorian wrote: »
    In fairness that video is quite good. Real engineers real people. One or two segments could have done with a few more takes, but that's down to the director on the day / poor editing, possibly lack of scripting. Does make it all the more real I guess.

Ftth is really coming, years ahead of when I thought it would. I honestly wonder will the Esb / Vodafone project go ahead!

What might be of more concern is if ESB/Vodafone roll out doesn't happen, will Eircom bother following through?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Direct link to the video:

https://vimeo.com/123862941

Yes, a very interesting video. Looks like Eircom really is going to do FTTH :D

bk wrote: »

Spoke with a local tech in Letterkenny who confirms that KNN are busy with the fibre subducting in most of the newer estates in Letterkenny, like Glentain Manor, which seems to be fed from LKY1_029. The estates with eircom ducting in place will obviously be done first with fibre being run to pre-ordained drop points from the nearest cab. My cab is LKY1_005. We have no eircom subducting to our estate or any of the estates around us, as far as I can tell. My POTS drop point is fed, via the main eircom duct, to a pole some 10 meters from the house, so I expect in the not too distant future to be fed fibre aerially from a new fibre drop point on that pole. Eircom have the "drop" on the ESB in my case and I'm sure a lot of others. Did they do their homework at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Great stuff. It's like a different company than a few short years ago. Some genuine vision there that is lacking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bk wrote: »

"From a phasing point of view we're going to be building this across the next 3 or 4 years, up to 66 towns across the country ..." 2:28 mins

That puts the roll-out time into perspective it seems.

Those 66 tows should be done by 2019 ... so where does that put those outside those immediate areas on the time-scale?

It would seem that the Govt's promise to have everyone fibred by end of 2020 is just another pipe-dream. :(

"From a phasing point of view we're going to be building this across the next 3 or 4 years, up to 66 towns across the country ..." 2:28 mins

Those 66 tows should be done by 2019 ... so where does that put those outside those immediate areas on the time-scale?

It would seem that the Govt's promise to have everyone fibred by end of 2020 is just another pipe-dream. :(

This is not the Nbp, that will start later this year with a completion date of 2020, Ireland could well be amongst the worlds most developed broadband economies when this is all done

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Someone always seems to be able to turn a positive story negative. FTTH in Letterkenny! I didn't think I'd see these sort of places getting this connectivity in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

4/5 years ago FTTC was 'just another pipe dream' but yet here we are....

kaizersoze wrote: »
    4/5 years ago FTTC was 'just another pipe dream' but yet here we are....

4900 cabinets with 20 fibres sitting there- they could ftth the whole country in time, do we know anything on where the esb are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Danny Boy wrote: »
    This is not the Nbp, that will start later this year with a completion date of 2020, Ireland could well be amongst the worlds most developed broadband economies when this is all done

I am know it is not the NBP!

What you need to consider is that those 66 locations have concentrations of dwellings which makes it easier to service each one.

There are more premises to be serviced by the NGP, and they are scattered far and wide across about 95% of the island, not concentrated as those 66 towns.

So if it takes 3 to 4 years to do those 66 towns, how long would you imagine it might take to do more premises scattered across the landscape?

Also there is not a limitless supply of fibre qualified personnel .... and for the next few years a lot of them will be tied up with those towns. It appears they are doing 16 at the same time, not 66. Personnel shortage? Plant/machinery shortage?

So it looks to me that - based on Eircom's estimate for the 66 towns - that the NBP will take a lot longer.

I am know it is not the NBP!

What you need to consider is that those 66 locations have concentrations of dwellings which makes it easier to service each one.

There are more premises to be serviced by the NGP, and they are scattered far and wide across about 95% of the island, not concentrated as those 66 towns.

So if it takes 3 to 4 years to do those 66 towns, how long would you imaging it might take to do more premises scattered across the landscape?

Also there is not a limitless supply of fibre qualified personnel .... and for the next few years a lot of them will be tied up with those towns. It appears they are doing 16 at the same time, not 66. Personnel shortage? Plant/machinery shortage?

So it looks to me that - based on Eircom's estimate for the 66 towns - that the NBP will take a lot longer.

Running fibre in rural areas along poles with fewer civils is quicker, the contract will be for a 3/4 year rollout with penalties for going over that - so hire all the people you need if you're bidding, bonanza for contractors

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

what do you want 1000 meg downloads for?

I'm super happy with my rural 44 down and 12 up....blisss !

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

markmurphy wrote: »

M.

For now, come back here in 2-3 years and say that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

M.

What a silly attitude. If everyone thought like this we'd still be downloading at 250 kB/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What a silly attitude. If everyone thought like this we'd still be downloading at 250 kB/s.

Some still are unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

jca wrote: »
    Some still are unfortunately..

Like me.... (on a good night)

M.

Where's that? I think it's great to see progress being made, but still a lot more to do.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    What might be of more concern is if ESB/Vodafone roll out doesn't happen, will Eircom bother following through?

Good point - hard to see two rollouts of FTTH working in the same area, it's a land grab, ESB would need to get moving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

For now, come back here in 2-3 years and say that

I can't see it tbh.

Netflix are delivering 4K on c.15Mbit (Less IIRC). There has been a call for a while to shift to higher frame rates, lets assume 100FPS and reasonable compression scaling thats maybe 50Mbit per stream.

A family of 6 all watching different shows, assuming a lightning fast uptake of the technology 300Mbits would be the maximum anyone needs for the next decade and that's an extreme example.

The only other use would be online gaming, allowing very large file sizes for downloadable games. Maybe, maybe this could be an application for about 0.1% of the time.

Other than that it's bulk file transfers maybe video editors, can't see even a prolific professional stills photographer needing much more than 100Mbit.

Ireland's issue isn't speed it's coverage. We rank something like 6th in the world for average broadband speed and something like 60th for coverage. I'm all for these amazing technologies, as long as it does not detract from getting 10Mbit+ reliable broadband out to 99% of the country.

Advertisement