Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    Thinking on it further, the OLTs may still be housed at the exchange, theres no huge benefit in fitting them at cabs as the distance is negligible and it would mean far less plant on streets requiring power pedestals and being susceptible to damage and power cuts. Makes sense that they'd just split out from the ducting in the underground cavity and into 32 home runs. So you probably wont "see" anything new when they start doing (like they commented on in the video).

Yes, it makes absolute sense, I'm 99% certain that the OLT's are in the exchange. And the above video seems to indicate that.

In fact I expect there is little or nothing in the actual cabs, the fibers simply pass under it. I expect the architecture looks like:

Exchange/OLTs -> 24 feeder fibers -> VDSL Cab (4 fibers terminated here for VDSL) -> 20 distribution fibers -> Optical splitter (1 feeder fiber:32 drop fibers *) -> Distribution point -> Home/ONT

* Note optical splitters can be cascaded as needed, so a 4 way split, followed by 4 x 8 way splits (thus giving you 32).

The great thing about this setup is that only the OLT and ONT actually need power, which are obviously readily available in the exchange and home. The optical splitters are passive and thus need no power.

BTW optical splitters are also very simple devices that are relatively very cheap and small. A 1:32 splitter would easily fit in a 1u rack for instance, with plenty of space to spare.

The advantage of all this is that in 15 to 20 years, once everyone has switched over to FTTH, I can see them removing the VDSL cabs, copper cabs and power pedestals, thus making the outdoor planet much simpler and easier to maintain.

The VDSL cabs aren't actually needed for FTTH. It just made sense that when they were pulling the 4 required feeder fibers to each VDSL cab, that it was just as easy to pull 24 feeder cables instead to future proof for FTTH in future.

Remember 80 - 90% cost is labour and civils, I'm sure it took no more time to pull 24 fibers then it does 4 fibers, so a no brainer to spend the less then 10% to pull the extra fiber at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Splitters are actually pretty tiny, they'll be able to shove them in weatherproof boxes in manholes and be done with.

501601515_801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Just an aside....watched the vid, they could do with hiring a few young lads eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Xennon wrote: »
    Just an aside....watched the vid, they could do with hiring a few young lads eh?

Until recently they hired nobody. Thats why its only aul lads left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Xennon wrote: »

Not sure what difference that'd make

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not sure what difference that'd make

Well normally you would certainly want a few young people around as apprentices so that they could learn from the older experienced gentleman, so they know what they are doing when they finally retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bk wrote: »
    To be honest, I still think 24Mb/s (actually 24, not upto 24 but really getting 3Mb/s) is actually still perfectly fine for the majority of people.

In one year I've gone from 16Mb/s (ADSL2+) to 240Mb/s and the truth is I've seen almost no real world difference!

I was able to do youtube and Netflix HD streaming before on 16, 240 makes no difference to this.

Sure downloads are faster, but that never really bothered me as almost all the downloads I do are done at timed schedules, for instance OS updates at night.

And I say that as a pretty high end user, Software Engineer who works from home and who is big into home automation.

The big advantage of UPC's 240Mb/s service is the big jump in upload speed from 500Kb/s to 24Mb/s, that has really helped uploads feel quick. No more waiting all day for pictures to upload to dropbox, etc.

I think we honestly are about to reach a plateau where we have more bandwidth then we actually need!

The same happened in the PC industry. For years you had to buy a new PC every year as the demands of software were increasing all the time and your one year old PC couldn't run it. But then PC's got so powerful, that software (other then games) was no longer pushing it and even a 5 year old PC ran everything just fine. Thus people stopped upgrading so frequently.

I just don't see any new technologies in the short to medium term that will drive big bandwidth demands. Sure in the longterm we may have some revolutionary new technologies like full wall TV's or direct to your brain virtual reality. But in the short term I don't really see why anyone needs 1Gb/s.

Not even 4k. First of all you can easily do 4K streaming with just 20Mb/s (like Netflix does), so you don't really need 1Gb/s for that.

Also I'm certain 4k will not take off with the average consumer. I think we have again hit the "good enough" plateau that PC's and DVD's hit. I see 4k largely having the same success as Bluray, popular with videophiles, but not having the mass uptake with the general consumer.

Sure as peoples HD TV's break, they will naturally replace them with 4k TV's, but it will take many years. But I don't see most people running out to replace their perfectly good HD TV with a 4k TV in the way they did replacing their CRT TV's with HD TV's.

When DVD's first came out, people loved them. Not only did they offer better picture quality, but they were much smaller then VCR tapes, they didn't degrade and you didn't have to fast forward and rewind them.

But when Bluray came out, there was much less excitement. All it could offer was better picture quality and for most people that just wasn't enough.

I see much the same with TV's. The massive, quick uptake of HD TV's for most people wasn't about picture quality, that was a nice bonus. It was mostly about replacing your ugly and very large CRT TV with a much nicer looking, space saving flat TV that could be hung on the wall. Oh and larger TV's too.

4k will largely suffer from the same fate as bluray, it can only offer better picture quality, not better form factor. And even the better picture quality is questionable if most people would even benefit from it. For a 4K TV (monitors are different) to make a noticeable difference, you have to have a very large TV, over 70", which will be expensive and might not fit well in most Irish living rooms.

I just don't see 4K gaining speedy mass uptake like HD did. Most people are going to be happy with HD for years to come.
    This is an excellent post and worth remembering. 4k TV and the associated economics (of communications and connectivity, of power consumption for an equivalently-sized screen, of the ability of producers and the more decentralised nature of new content as seen on Youtube to supply 4k footage) is not really established while LCD tech is hardly operating under Moore's Law. Driving the improvements of providing much more pixels, supplying them with data, economically, is not a cheap business.

I expect the provision of upload speeds generally, not just from fibre providers, will grow substantially from the 24:1 ratio "nadir" reached by ADSL2+ ten years or so ago. People have their own content to share, work upon and backup to the cloud and there is pent-up demand for this both among those who have poor internet connections and those that need to upload lots, to experience better upload speeds and with data allowances that allow this.
    SpaceTime wrote:
    Ireland has to be in the top 10 for upload speed if we're going to keep out economy growing and keep small and medium business competitive.
    Just sayin'. It would be a nice idea to have a country where "data export" and content creation and teleworking/working at home was one of our fortes. A country such as ours with fairly dispersed populations even within somewhere like Dublin (as other cities go) has more to benefit from overachieving in greater average upload speeds than other countries, though to be specific: I'd say there is more demand for higher upload speeds than peak download speeds in the areas enjoying 80 Mbps+ download speeds.

I expect the provision of upload speeds generally, not just from fibre providers, will grow substantially from the 24:1 ratio "nadir" reached by ADSL2+ ten years or so ago. People have their own content to share, work upon and backup to the cloud and there is pent-up demand for this both among those who have poor internet connections and those that need to upload lots, to experience better upload speeds and with data allowances that allow this.

UPC will be in a weaker position then the FTTH operators as upload speeds become more important.

The technology that Eircom and the ESB are using for FTTH are actually asymmetric too, but much better then in the past. 2:1 from GPON and 4:1 from 10GPON

UPC is likely to remain at best 10:1 for the foreseeable future.

From what I can make out, UPC actually has a pretty good and easy upgrade path to compete with 1GB/s FTTH on the download side. I believe they can go up to as much as 700 to 800Mb/s download speed by simply using new DOCSIS 3.0 modems that bond up to 24 channels. No need for massive network reconfig, DOCSIS 3.1, getting rid of analogue TV channels, SDV, etc. However it looks like they will be stuck with offering max 50Mb/s upload.

To offer higher upload speeds (and download speeds too), they will need to go to DOCSIS 3.1 and potentially big network changes. Turning off the analogue TV channels, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

New promo video.
    They're fairly keeping the PR going....

https://vimeo.com/124623234

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eircom has signed a deal worth €10m with telecoms firm Huawei that will see the Chinese industry giant supply it equipment as Eircom begins its nationwide rollout of fibre broadband.

Equipment is already being deployed in 16 locations where network construction has commenced for the rollout of Eircom's new 'fibre-to-the-home' package, which is also set to include a new 'pure' fibre broadband services with speeds of 150Mbs, 300Mbs and 1,000Mbs.

A spokesman for Eircom said that work on the project will proceed on a "rolling basis", adding that work on additional communities will start "before August", although he said he was not sure where would be targeted.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/eircom-signs-10m-broadband-deal-with-chinese-giant-huawei-31163743.html

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

KOR101 wrote: »
    Eircom has signed a deal worth €10m with telecoms firm Huawei that will see the Chinese industry giant supply it equipment as Eircom begins its nationwide rollout of fibre broadband.

Equipment is already being deployed in 16 locations where network construction has commenced for the rollout of Eircom's new 'fibre-to-the-home' package, which is also set to include a new 'pure' fibre broadband services with speeds of 150Mbs, 300Mbs and 1,000Mbs.

A spokesman for Eircom said that work on the project will proceed on a "rolling basis", adding that work on additional communities will start "before August", although he said he was not sure where would be targeted.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/eircom-signs-10m-broadband-deal-with-chinese-giant-huawei-31163743.html

And http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/50358-eircom-appoints-huawei-as-f

To quote the article in part - "Eircom said deployment of the equipment will proceed immediately in 16 communities where network construction has already started. These areas are Cavan, Ennis, Carrigaline, Douglas, Letterkenny, Balbriggan, Sandyford, Tralee, Naas, Kilkenny, Drogheda, Castlebar, Belcarra, Monaghan, Roscommon, Sligo, Mullingar, Wexford and Greystones. Customers will be able to order fibre services offering speeds of up to 1Gb/s by the end of August 2015. In all, 66 communities will benefit from FTTH services by 2017. The planned footprint includes areas of all five major cities, major regional centres and every county town in Ireland. Eircom said detailed rollout plans for each community will be announced in due course.
    Huawei will deliver the latest optical line terminals (OLTs) and optical network terminals (ONTs) that will support broadband speeds up to 1Gb/s. According to Eircom, the equipment can deliver speeds beyond 1Gb/s as demand emerges." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

So FTTH by August in those areas mentioned in the article?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Crazy. So jealous of the people lucky enough to get this so early. Down the line when speeds higher than this are needed, what's a general idea of the speed these lines will be capable of delivering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

Crazy. So jealous of the people lucky enough to get this so early. Down the line when speeds higher than this are needed, what's a general idea of the speed these lines will be capable of delivering?
    FTTh can go up to 10gb and higher I don't think 1gb need yet but people migth get it but at what price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

might as well signup when it hits Ennis. i presume it'll be the same as eFibre, you sign up for a mailing list and they ring you first.

i still don't think any consumer needs 1gigabit but what the hell. any idea on prices? i'm hoping €100/pm but I say it'll be closer to €150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

might as well signup when it hits Ennis. i presume it'll be the same as eFibre, you sign up for a mailing list and they ring you first.

i still don't think any consumer needs 1gigabit but what the hell. any idea on prices? i'm hoping €100/pm but I say it'll be closer to €150

Funny how people in Ireland think we're so advanced. And that 1gb is crazy. They've had 1gb speeds in the US for a couple of years now - in fact they started the rollout of fibre services in the US back in 2005.
    In reality Eircom are way behind on any of this.
    What happens in a few years when all TV services are provided over the internet? 5k panels already are available - have a few 5k tvs streaming all of your 1gb look paltry. Fibre infrasture in Ireland has to be pushed now if we're to keep up with the rest of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

damienirel wrote: »
    Funny how people in Ireland think we're so advanced. And that 1gb is crazy. They've had 1gb speeds in the US for a couple of years now - in fact they started the rollout of fibre services in the US back in 2005.
    What happens in a few years when all TV services are provided over the internet? 5k panels already are available - have a few 5k tvs streaming all of your 1gb look paltry. Fibre infrasture in Ireland has to be pushed now if we're to keep up with the rest of the world.

When you mentioned US I loled they are among the most anti-competitive in the world for broadband. And where are you getting these speeds from 2005? Google fiber is only recent and putting the other ISPs to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What percentage of the great U S of A have usable bb never mind gigabit speeds, very few. Like all irish families I've relations in various states and a standard phone call to them is a hit and miss affair never mind decent bb.

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »
    When you mentioned US I loled they are among the most anti-competitive in the world for broadband. And where are you getting these speeds from 2005? Google fiber is only recent and putting the other ISPs to shame.

You should re-read my post - they started a roll out of fibre in 2005. But it's a big country so yeah there are loads of areas that don't even have a phone line. Also google fibre is a drop in the ocean - verizon - are a far bigger isp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

what's a typical bitrate for 5k? 20Megabits MAX. So unless you've 40 or more TVs, you're grand.

jca wrote: »
    What percentage of the great U S of A have usable bb never mind gigabit speeds, very few. Like all irish families I've relations in various states and a standard phone call to them is a hit and miss affair never mind decent bb.

Amazed at all the people here jumping down my throat when I know we've been left in the dirt by eircom when it comes to broadband. I live less than 1km from a eircom fibre cabinet for the last 2 years and can still only get a 2mb connection. Give it a rest about how advanced we are - it's rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Which is why eircom will be able to offer twice the speed from the get go. I have two sisters in USA, thinks aren't that amazing, one in Philly has 60mbit cable, there other in New York has 30mbit cable, not as good as you make out and a long way of being offered fibre

what's a typical bitrate for 5k? 20Megabits MAX. So unless you've 40 or more TVs, you're grand.
    Fair point - but I'm reading that the new season of House Of Cards has been shot in 6k so - it's not about where we are now it's where we will be in a short time. Don't get me wrong 1gb is savage but it will be standard in a couple of years.

Which is why eircom will be able to offer twice the speed from the get go. I have two sisters in USA, thinks aren't that amazing, one in Philly has 60mbit cable, there other in New York has 30mbit cable, not as good as you make out and a long way of being offered fibre

Here we go- Eircom are brilliant brigade - they keep promising never delivering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Here we go- Eircom are brilliant brigade - they keep promising never delivering.

Are you being selective. The new Eircom is focused on delivering, check out the VDSL threads, they're connecting people at a massive rate.

I know 3 people in the US with 1gb connections 2 of them live in suburbia and 1 in nyc. So if you want to base this argument on purely annecdotal evidence yeah they're way ahead!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Verizon FiOS is available to about 12m people. That sounds like a lot but it's less than 4% of the population. A similar service in Ireland would only have to be available to less than 20,000 people for our to match that availability. This is why it's such a big deal. It's not just the speed but the availability. Eircom us targeting 66 towns, ESB is targeting 600,000 premises (that number maybe off but it's close). These two rollouts shít all over Verizon's rollout (they actually does their FiOS rollout in 2010, 5 years ago) as a percentage of the population. It's not just the speed, it's the amount of people who will have access to it.

• Advertisement

Verizon FiOS is available to about 12m people. That sounds like a lot but it's less than 4% of the population. A similar service in Ireland would only have to be available to less than 20,000 people for our to match that availability. This is why it's such a big deal. It's not just the speed but the availability. Eircom us targeting 66 towns, ESB is targeting 600,000 premises (that number maybe off but it's close). These two rollouts shít all over Verizon's rollout (they actually does their FiOS rollout in 2010, 5 years ago) as a percentage of the population. It's not just the speed, it's the amount of people who will have access to it.

Where are you getting those figures - not denying them just asking?
    Also when a CEO gets out of dodge when he can't sell the company - kind of says it all. http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/eircom-ceo-herb-hribar-steps-down-30623494.html

Advertisement