Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly...does money come into the equation when you marry someone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That's the point, yes.

Well its going to happen either way so unless you come up with some genius plan thats life im afraid :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'll expect them to have a good dowry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Wouldn't matter a damn what my partner earned as long as he had a good work ethic and a similar attitude/approach to money as I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Money =/= status.

My boyfriend is unemployed and broke (he had a job when I met him but lost it a year later) but he had savings and supports himself, although I pay a bit more in rent and cover some things. I'm on less than 13,000 a year (yep, you read that right - okay salary here and enough to live on though - little goes a longer way here) and I would like to have kids with this man. That won't happen until he gets a decent job and I'm earning more (which I'm working on - back in uni). In terms of money, that's the only thing I care about - that we have enough to raise a few kids together, so yes, it's something that we both have to consider. I think everyone has to consider that when settling down with someone.

However, I couldn't give a ****e how he earns that money as long as it's not criminal.

Hand on heart, money and status have never been important to me, although brains are absolutely essential.

Hand on heart, money and status have never been important to me, although brains are absolutely essential.

I'll take a clever interesting man over a rich thick any day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I've been told that these dating web site things feature questions pertaining to the individuals annual wage and what variety of motor vehicle they possess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Honestly, as long as he wasn't on the dole long term I wouldn't care. I wouldn't care what he worked at as long as he was happy. Money is not important to me as I'm an independent woman and I have my own career and can support myself.

My OH is financially secure, and yeah it's nice. But it was nice too when he was a student living on noodles too.

I've been told that these dating web site things feature questions pertaining to the individuals annual wage and what variety of motor vehicle they possess.

Theres a section for what you earn and if you drive thats all ive ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Some websites specifically for this niche - for gold diggers and ''elite'' individuals looking to meet with other like minded rich snobs alike.

Worth noting that this happens on both sides of the equation, male/female, straight or gay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Candie wrote: »
    I'll take a clever interesting man over a rich thick any day.

Doubt there are too many of them anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That's the point, yes.

It'll never happen, I know, but I'd be all for artificial population control. We need licences to have dogs as pets yet some people can pop out kids left and right because they're bored in life and expect it to bring them to a state of permanent happiness. Literally the most important milestone of anyone's life is reproducing and we have idiots rushing into it and it's the children who had no choice in the matter that suffer.

It is?

I'll bet you haven't considered the fact that other people don't think the same way you do.

Money isn't important to me, can't answer for anyone else, and don't particularly care enough to analyze other people's relationships.

Doubt there are too many of them anyway

There are different kinds of intelligence.

One imagines that this anomaly is related to the genetic happenstance that produced your beard growing abilities.

Most unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Moneys all the moneys that moneys, lets money it like it is.

One imagines that this anomaly is related to the genetic happenstance that produced your beard growing abilities.

Most unusual.

Why presume I was talking about a facial beard! Oi oi! Wink wink! ;);)

It is?

I'll bet you haven't considered the fact that other people don't think the same way you do.

Money isn't important to me, can't answer for anyone else, and don't particularly care enough to analyze other people's relationships.

Yeah, it's a pity since the only point to life is procreation. We're born to survive and breed and die.

Yeah, it's a pity since the only point to life is procreation. We're born to survive and breed and die.

I really should of binned my son before he was born. What was i thinking!.

Why presume I was talking about a facial beard! Oi oi! Wink wink! ;);)

urrrgh.

picturing frankie boyle wearing scarlet lipstick now.

urrrgh.

picturing frankie boyle wearing scarlet lipstick now.

A Frankie Boyle? Is that what they're calling it these days? ;);) Winky winky.

I really should of binned my son before he was born. What was i thinking!.

What a thing to be sarcastic about. Disgusting.

• Advertisement

What a thing to be sarcastic about. Disgusting.

Would of been one less kid for you to worry about right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

My husband is from a very well off family and has a good job. When we met I was working as a hairdresser and we live in a fairly small village. I couldn't believe when we started going out that people I would only know to see actually used to say "oh you did well there meeting him" as if his background or job were all I was interested in. He was the first man id ever met that treated me nicely and we always had a good time together and I was crazy about him but they all thought it was fine to act as if he wasn't doing so well
    that I wouldn't be with him.

We are together 20 years and married 14 and I know people probably still think this but I don't care they can think what they like. We both have the same outlook on life and hold the same things important and that to me is the most important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The children these types of people give life to did not choose to be born into the poor families and I just feel it's selfish that the parents couldn't just put their own egos aside and hold off on having kids until they achieved better circumstances

I grew up poor. My parents' circumstances were very good when they had us all and dis-improved for a variety of reasons.

Would of been one less kid for you to worry about right?

If the child was living in poverty, yes.

If the child was living in poverty, yes.

You will be delighted to know hes not!.

You will be delighted to know hes not!.

Phew! I can rest easy tonight.

Phew! I can rest easy tonight.

:pac: you and me both.

:pac: you and me both.

Right after you gave him a bath in the large jaccuzi tub and had your personal chef cook at least a 5 course meal before sending him to bed in an armani pyjamas I hope ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What? Are you not contradicting yourself there? Notwithstanding the fact that there are numerous people who do not want to procreate, and actively take measures to reduce their risk of procreation, there are many more people again who don't see procreation as the only point to life, just like they don't see the accumulation of wealth as the only point to life, where others like yourself might, in order to provide your offspring with the best education, the most opportunities, etc, etc...

Now, why bother doing all that for your children, and then telling them that the only point to life is to procreate - survive, breed, and die. Isn't that the same motivations you ascribed to people you earlier referred to as idiots - the type of people whose only motivation in life is to procreate simply to survive, breed and die?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has Wibbs given his opinion yet?

Wibbs will agree with my assertion :D However it will take him at least the length of twenty normal posts to do so

Advertisement