Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly...does money come into the equation when you marry someone?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

We all know that it takes all sorts to make a world - and at both extreme ends of the scale you have the pauper poor V's extravagantly rich. And while we all may adamantly refute money/profession over personality - there are an equal number of people who secretly have agendas (will only marry X if he is of a certain white collar profession, can be a great spouse and support myself and the kids with an extravagant lifestyle etc...)

When it comes to your relationships, how important is money/status to you when looking at your OH?

How much does money/status influence your relationship choices? 115 votes

Other Half's Money/Status of Paramount importance to me
    0% 0 votes
    OH money/status quite important to me
    6% 8 votes
    OH money/status not that all important
    18% 21 votes
    No Opinion either way
    33% 39 votes
    Both my status and my OH's status should be equal
    21% 25 votes
    My money/status is more important than my OH's
    7% 9 votes
    My money/status is quite important to me compared to my other half's
    3% 4 votes
    My money/status is not important to me at all when compared with OH's
    5% 6 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

We all know that it takes all sorts to make a world - and at both extreme ends of the scale you have the pauper poor V's extravagantly rich. And while we all may adamantly refute money/profession over personality - there are an equal number of people who secretly have agendas (will only marry X if he is of a certain white collar profession, can be a great spouse and support myself and the kids with an extravagant lifestyle etc...)

When it comes to your relationships, how important is money/status to you when looking at your OH?

Where both equally as poor so its grand :D.

Money means nothing theres nothing worse then someone who is more interested in what your job is then who you actually are as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

You have to be on the same page and have the same attitude about money to make things work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Good God, OP - if you have to even ask, they're not for you - and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as we both have frontage things will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'll be concerned with my own money and she can be concerned with hers.

I'll make large purchases, only when it suits me. I won't intend on going into debt because my partner wants to.

• Advertisement

Dont ever go near a woman with a really good job or education unless your equal or better. Either she will look down her nose at you or someone else will make sure your aware of how much a failure you are!. Theres bound to be exceptions to this but not very often id imagine.

Ive seen it happen on more then one occasion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you plan on having kids then it definitely should, you should aim to be able to provide them with as high a quality of living with as many opportunities as possible and money is pretty much the most important component of these. From paying for the best food and nutrition to the best schools and tutours to the best medical care etc. parents need to have a lot of money between the two of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Hay for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,470 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Dont ever go near a woman with a really good job or education unless your equal or better. Either she will look down her nose at you or someone else will make sure your aware of how much a failure you are!. Theres bound to be exceptions to this but not very often id imagine.

Pure unadulterated bolloxollogy.

If you plan on having kids then it definitely should, you should aim to be able to provide them with as high a quality of living with as many opportunities as possible and money is pretty much the most important component of these. From paying for the best food and nutrition to the best schools and tutours to the best medical care etc. parents need to have a lot of money between the two of them

You dont need loads of money for these things and no one needs the best of everything. Ya if you happen to have a good job great if you want to give them the best thats your choice.

Its not essential though theres more to having a family then money its important but money can only buy so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

If I was an extremely attractive woman I would marry an incredibly rich man (someone with millions) and then divorce him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

You have to be on the same page and have the same attitude about money to make things work well.

I agree with this, it doesn't matter how much money he makes but how he handles his money is very important to me.

Pure unadulterated bolloxollogy.

lol say what you like ok but im telling ya it happens. Im not saying every woman does it but it does happen and it doesn't surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I couldn't marry someone who earns less than I do. I'm not a snob, just dirt poor.

lol say what you like ok but im telling ya it happens. Im not saying every woman does it but it does happen and it doesn't surprise me.

I could come up with the most fantastical sensationalist situation in the world and say "Oh but it does happen" but you make it sound like every woman is a gold.digger and if you don't earn more than her then society/family/friends will judge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I couldn't blame a woman for going for a guy with a career. It shows he is capable of taking things seriously.

I could come up with the most fantastical sensationalist situation in the world and say "Oh but it does happen" but you make it sound like every woman is a gold.digger and if you don't earn more than her then society/family/friends will judge you.

See i actually went and said its not always the case because obviously not all women would be like that but ive seen it happen a few times and ive seen peoples attitudes on other websites and places so im not just pulling it out of the sky!.

Women can earn as much as they like means nothing to me ! plus i know plenty of generous girls friends and ex s so its not as if im claiming all women do it.

There is an attitude by a lot of people out there though that the man should should be supporting his wife family etc not the other way around. Obviously a lot more women now a days are out working and have good jobs but you still have people who would look at a fella under performing and hold it against him.

See i actually went and said its not always the case because obviously not all women would be like that but ive seen it happen a few times and ive seen peoples attitudes on other websites and places so im not just pulling it out of the sky!.

Women can earn as much as they like means nothing to me ! plus i know plenty of generous girls friends and ex s so its not as if im claiming all women do it.

No you said

You dont need loads of money for these things and no one needs the best of everything. Ya if you happen to have a good job great if you want to give them the best thats your choice.

Its not essential though theres more to having a family then money its important but money can only buy so much.

My opinion is people shouldn't be having kids if they don't have the capabilities of raising them to be quality people, obviously this isn't limited to earnings but it's a massive part of it. I'm just disappointed when I see people having children who I know have sh!t morals and outlooks on life and also earn next to nothing. The children these types of people give life to did not choose to be born into the poor families and I just feel it's selfish that the parents couldn't just put their own egos aside and hold off on having kids until they achieved better circumstances, but if they happened to never achieve better circumstances then just hold off on reproducing altogether.

No you said

Theres bound to be exceptions as i said.

Look dont get upset im not saying all women do it or whatever but its out there and its common enough without it being in your face.

• Advertisement

My opinion is people shouldn't be having kids if they don't have the capabilities of raising them to be quality people, obviously this isn't limited to earnings but it's a massive part of it. I'm just disappointed when I see people having children who I know have sh!t morals and outlooks on life and also earn next to nothing. The children these types of people give life to did not choose to be born into the poor families and I just feel it's selfish that the parents couldn't just put their own egos aside and hold off on having kids until they achieved better circumstances, but if they happened to never achieve better circumstances then just hold off on reproducing altogether.

So how much money should you be earning to be allowed have kids then?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

some studies in the world wide suggest that low income families see higher divorce rates yes

Theres bound to be exceptions as i said.

Look dont get upset im not saying all women do it or whatever but its out there and its common enough without it being in your face.

That's some back peddling from
    Dont ever go near a woman with a really good job or education unless your equal or better. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

The poll options are bad. Money does not equal status.

Compatible attitudes to all things finance are vital for a happy marriage in my opinion. A chief cause of marital breakdown is financial stress. A couple have to be on the same page with regard to how money is used. Marriage is as much an economic partnership as an emotional partnership.

That's some back peddling from

Ok next time ill remember this conversation and i wont be so full on !

Anyways.....

So how much money should you be earning to be allowed have kids then?

How long is a piece of string? It varies from location to location.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Overheal wrote: »
    some studies in the world wide suggest that low income families see higher divorce rates yes

There are several also which indicate that women who earn higher salaries than the norm are more likely to initiate divorce

Money isn't a fraction as important as having the same broad outlook and similar values are.

As long as one partner isn't going to spend their lives carrying the other (excepting unemployment etc) then as long as there's enough money to support the family I wouldn't care if I earned it or he did.

How long is a piece of string? It varies from location to location.

Im not saying i agree or i dont agree with you but if everyone went along with that be a lot less people having kids in the world. Something id imagine would go down well in AH :pac:.

• Advertisement

Im not saying i agree or i dont agree with you but if everyone went along with that be a lot less people having kids in the world. Something id imagine would go down well in AH :pac:.

That's the point, yes.

It'll never happen, I know, but I'd be all for artificial population control. We need licences to have dogs as pets yet some people can pop out kids left and right because they're bored in life and expect it to bring them to a state of permanent happiness. Literally the most important milestone of anyone's life is reproducing and we have idiots rushing into it and it's the children who had no choice in the matter that suffer.

Advertisement