Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween when you were a kid....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I dont ever remembering it being called trick or treating tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

We were told that we had to perform something to get the sweets, like sing a song or play the tin whistle.
    Lying bastards! They were supposed to be scared of us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Shopping trolleys full of wood (no coins needed back then).

Fireworks for the whole month of October.

The search for the " responsible adult " to go the off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

I remember ducking for apples, and also the monkey nuts.

I only remember going trick or treating once. I went round a couple of streets with my mate and after what seemed like a couple of hours I'd made one pound something--enough for a Star Wars figure!! I'd never been so happy in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Caramel or chocolate coated applies impaled on old ice-cream sticks. Yummmy.
    Deciding whose back garden would be used to store the materials for the bonfire.
    Taking turns guarding the wood/material.
    Going around houses asking people for rubbish/old furniture that we can throw on the bonfire.
    Arguing about what will burn/won't burn or explode (FYI porcelain/ceramic sinks explode into red hot fragments).
    Building the huge bonfire and then seeing if you can squeeze inside it like a giant fort.
    Dragging large branches from the Phoenix park for 3 miles to be used on the bornfire.
    Using cheap fireworks even though we knew that half of them could explode nearly instantly when lit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

vicwatson wrote: »
    I dont ever remembering it being called trick or treating tbh.

We just called it doing the doors: "Are you doing the doors this Halloween?".

Remember having the bangers under my bed for weeks before hand.

We use to refer to them as 'Quarter sticks of dynamite' for some reason.

Course, when we turned 15, Halloween became all about beer and the getting the ride tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Using a old crutch and rockets as an makeshift RPG.

Massive bonfires that usually ended up getting closed off by the fire brigade/cops.

Trying to avoid drunk older kids for fear of subjected to "banger experiments".

Cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

when I was younger - I wore my cousins old witch costume (until I was about 7) and then until I was about 13 it was the black bags and scream mask!

I never heard of chocolate apples until I was about 10 (I moved to "posh" Dun Laoghaire from D16... and no, it wasn't at all like what it is today - instead of apartments it was caravans :P )

Even though I'm a lot older now, a lot of my friends can only talk about Halloween.... I see it as just a night for kids... I don't get why adults get all excited because its an excuse to drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It's my birthday. So there was birthday stuff. And the dreaded barm brack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ahh the auld season of sweet grabbing.

We used to wear our costumes, go treat n treating, pick out the really good houses, go home, change costumes, and go back to those houses.

If done correctly you were the king amongst men for weeks with all the sweets stashed away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Trick or treating. The delirah when ya got chocolate or sweets or basically anything other than apples or monkey nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Bonfires around my town. I remember one year we went around to loads of estates just to see who had the biggest. One had literally set one of the huge wooden electricity poles on fire. As in they had one without the wiring and dug it into a hole and built the rest around it. Was insane.

Planning the route of trick or treating a week before it. Which estates we would go to. The day after we used to do after trick or treats. We were smart little buggers.

As a teen it was all about the fireworks and naker drinking down a field.

Now it's about getting drunk and dressing up and having a ball.

I love Halloween in all its over commercialized entirety. Do not appreciate the scumbags throwing fireworks at people and the general idiocy that happens. Sure you'll always have the few who can't have a nice thing without ruining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

We had amazing Halloweens when I was a kid. Big troop of us going around our little estate out in the sticks. They were always warm clear nights and someone alwys saw a witch flying over the moon. We were all high on excitement in our rubbishy home made outfits. We'd do a round for the sweeties, and then another round knock knacking (as if no one would know it was us). And then out to the field for a bonfire (run by the big lads and parents) and a few rockets. The poor dog hated it. My dad used to buy indoor fireworks in Strabane and he'd light a few of these (they were colourdey things that just sizzled a bit) and then there'd be a bit of bobbing for apples and hoping to find the ring in the brack. I went as a witch every single year. Best times ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Halloween 3 : Season of the witch :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

I had a cornflakes box on my head as part of my costume, I cant remember exactly why, I think I was Frankenstein. We called it "mumming", trick-o-treating came in from the yanks.

I do remember never ever letting the adults answering the door know who we were no matter how many times they asked.

Bobbing for apples and coins was great fun.

I also remember homemade bangers using gun "caps" and bic biro lids which were unbelievably loud.

I also remember making and throwing petrol bombs once which was dangerous - I think we got our inspiration from early 1980s Belfast.

Advertisement