Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween when you were a kid....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Can't remember for sure but it was the early eighties, a mask making company had a huge ad campaign leading up to Halloween. The deal was you wore the mask on Halloween night and watch a spectacular show on the tele that night. Well we were poor so my da only bought the one, a pumpkin if I remember rightly. Anyhow my spoilt little feck of a brother got to wear the mask to watch the show but the mad thing was when the spectacle started, snakes and stuff started pouring out of his eyes. My parents went all mental and screaming and stuff but I thought it was deadly.
    True story

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

McChubbin wrote: »
    I recall one year in the early 90s (around 1993/1994) one of my neighbours gave out full sized Mars Bars.
    I'll never forget that glorious night. Sadly, she's since moved away... :(

Everything since that moment has been downhill............:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

We used to spend months collecting tyres and cutting trees. Almost every estate had one. It was great fun at the time. I don't think they allow bonfires here now.

Can't remember for sure but it was the early eighties, a mask making company had a huge ad campaign leading up to Halloween. The deal was you wore the mask on Halloween night and watch a spectacular show on the tele that night. Well we were poor so my da only bought the one, a pumpkin if I remember rightly. Anyhow my spoilt little feck of a brother got to wear the mask to watch the show but the mad thing was when the spectacle started, snakes and stuff started pouring out of his eyes. My parents went all mental and screaming and stuff but I thought it was deadly.
    True story

Halloween 3 : Season of the witch :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

They built a housing estate at the end of my road when I was 7 or 8, which we thought was brilliant because suddenly there were loads more houses to go to at Halloween. The best was a house that have out toffee apples, we used to go there first.

I was nearly always dressed as a witch, although I did dress as a pumpkin one year. Another year I was dressed as Princess Leia from Star Wars, I had a long white dress and did the hair and everything, but everywhere I went people kept asking me what I was supposed to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I remember one year trying to carve a jack o'lantern from a turnip. Such a feckin job that was! Took forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

McChubbin wrote: »
    I recall one year in the early 90s (around 1993/1994) one of my neighbours gave out full sized Mars Bars.
    I'll never forget that glorious night. Sadly, she's since moved away... :(

Haha, there used to be an old giffer on our road who would give out full size bars too. That was awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I remember as a kid one year I was all excited about going as a vampire. So that day, as you do, prepare to go out....I realised that the whole get up would involve wearing make up :eek:

I may have been 7 but I was mans man and there was no fupping way I was putting that stuff on me. So I stayed in instead and a life long fascination with baking was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

Monkey nuts,monkey nuts and more fookin' monkey nuts.

Over here it was all candy corn, suckers, and those hard toffees wrapped in orange/black wax paper that would take your fillings out.

I went out as a ghost for the longest time and always came home with a literal TON of candy in a pillowcase. Got to keep it next to my bed at night for well over a week. My parents never dipped into it as far as I could tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Getting too old for trick or treating and instead watching The Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors.

They're dogs and they're playing poker!!!

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Getting too old for trick or treating and instead watching The Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors.

That is one of the things that reminds me of Halloween each year actually!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Myself and my sister raked in the cash every halloween. My aunt started bringing us around and then it became a tradition, she took us every year. We started to take the car so we could take in more houses (this being the country). She'd wear a mask herself but then she'd park at a distance, disappear into the bushes and leave us off, then on to the next road. One of us would have a big basket for the sweets, and one a mug with some coins in it already to make a rattle while we sang and played tin whistle badly :o Yes she was very clever like that! We'd even always go into the local thatched pub for a collection. We could make about £40, a lot for the time at least. It was fantastic though, I'd say she got every bit as much fun out of it as us, she's a big kid really, when we started to be too cool for trick or treating, she'd still be forever trying to get us to go. At the time we were pretty much the only kids in the area so most people knew us, one particular neighbour always had 2 bags with sweets, a token mandarin and a pound coin in each ready for us, she'd just always wait for us to do our performance and go and get it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Back in the era of the black sack costume I got the best costume of all, I was a werewolf. I had managed to wear my parents down and they bought me a make up effects kit which consisted of a wad of hair, brown face paints and a tube of Latex glue. I made £15 trick or treating that Halloween. People who were giving out monkey nuts actually went and got their purses to give me money :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

razorblunt wrote: »

Arrr! This chair be high, says I :D T'was the first episode of The Simpsons I ever saw

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

Lots of make and do. Homemade Halloween costumes and decorations. Then when we and the whole house looked ridiculous enough, we just played games for the rest of the night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

.I always got a plastic mask from the news agent, the kind that got drenched inside from condensation from your breath and that you occasionally had to pull up too get a proper breath.

don't forget the little slit for the mouth where you'd try to stick your tongue through and it'd get stuck
    Paper witches hats were always de rigueur.

Those black ones with the little paper tabs cut around the base of them and a piece of white elastic to hold it around your chin.. memories

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Used to build a huge bonfire with all the other kids in the estate and then try and ensure the kids from the rival estate didn't light it before halloween. They got us a few times and I remember one year where we had to do a complete rebuild on the 31st, the whole estate chipped in.

Also used to be mad into fireworks and would head into town and hit Moore street to buy black cats and screamers.

As for trick or treating, everyone dressed up and the estate used to come alive with us all at 6pm.

I think kids really miss out on all that fun these days. Safety gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Barmbrack with plastic rings/Sticks and cloth inside to potentially choke on, masks that were probably made of toxic plastics not to mention sending you out into dark streets with black bags over you - those were the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whatever happened to kids making their own costumes? I used to love artfully cutting the end of my bin liner witch's costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Over here it was all candy corn, suckers, and those hard toffees wrapped in orange/black wax paper that would take your fillings out.

Molasses kisses? Did you also get mini bags of chips (crisps)?

One year I made my own clown costume from an old pair of curtains. I sewed it by hand and didn't really know what I was doing. (I was ten years, I think). The pants came apart and just fell off me. I was quite embarrassed and ran home without telling my friend why.

• Advertisement

Molasses kisses? Did you also get mini bags of chips (crisps)?

We call them Halloween kisses here and yes we did get the mini bags of crisps as well as cheesies and the rare bag of hickory sticks. Foil wrapped chocolates and sometimes pennies, nickels and dimes.

And of course .... the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

We call them Halloween kisses here and yes we did get the mini bags of crisps as well as cheesies and the rare bag of hickory sticks. Foil wrapped chocolates and sometimes pennies, nickels and dimes.

And of course .... the nuts.

Actually, I usually call them Halloween kisses too. I had forgotten all about hickory sticks. Never got nuts, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Great thread topic! :)

To go off on a tangent a bit, I was in a kind of pound shop run by Chinese people here in Madrid the other day and the two Chinese women who work there were hanging up all the Halloween gear.

Halloween is only a newish thing here in Spain, so people either love it or loath it and it's a bit crap generally tbh.

Anyway, a Spanish woman walks in and starts going on about how it's an American holiday and what a load of nonsense it was and how they shouldn't be celebrating in Spain and blah blah blah to the women. Of course Toaster-Face here goes on the defensive and can't keep her mouth shut and pipes up with, "It's actually from Ireland!*proud face*". I'm blonde and fardnin-looking here so this woman has this blondie fardnin-looking bird appearing from nowhere behind her to tell her in a (no doubt) ridiculous fardnin accent in Spanish that the holiday was originally Irish. She answers with, "Oh...eh...yes...it's Irish too" and I respond omoniously, "No! It's just from IRELAND!" then exit stage left and out the shop door...

Weeeiiirrdooooo. *whirls finger at the side of temple*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Snap apple done with apples in a pan of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Halloween was so much fun.. Used to love trick or treating! My neighbour used to give us full bags of mini bars (each!) when we called over, it was amazing.

I was a witch for like 5 years in a row but i remember one year I went as the grim reaper which included a mask that was completely black, thought it was brilliant until it got dark and i couldnt see through it or breathe properly :p

I had a matching scythe and brought it to dress up day in school.. It terrified the younger kids when I walked in :o

I also loved those banger things that made the cracking noise when you threw them on the ground and trying to write your name in the air with sparklers..

Candy apples. I could eat a couple of those right now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

When I was fifteen I did not have an active social life and no one liked me. There was a Halloween party organised, a party in which almost everyone in the year was invited, except me. So instead of going to the party or a teen disco like most people that age, I devised a cunning plan to take advantage of people's generosity. In a world that had wronged me so many times before, I was finally going to enact my revenge.

I gathered four Halloween costumes from when I was younger and prepared them. That Halloween night I went to the estates in my area and a few other houses. I was small for my age so I just about passed for a trick or treater. Haha, I thought, as I went home and swapped costumes. I went around to all the houses again four times in total, going undetected due to my cunning scheme (different costumes). I successfully collected a huge haul of chocolate, crisps and other sugary delights that night, a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 slavik

For me Halloween was a dodgey mask out of the pound shop, a few black bags and then a trip up and down my road harassing my neighbours followed by a fireworks show organised by one of the neighbours. From the time I was 16 till about 18 it involved a couple of cheap cans of beer with a healthy dose of teenage thuggery with the lads.... ahh the memories :) now I despise Halloween, fire works and pumpkins... and people, but only on Halloween and St Patricks day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

For the last 8 or 9 years without fail, I have gotten the ring in the barn brac but still, Micheal Fassbender eludes me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I don't remember ever it being a big deal. I don't even remember going trick or treating.

Advertisement