Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween when you were a kid....

Options
  • 27-10-2014 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

When I was a kid Halloween involved dressing up as a vampire/witch every year. Costume essentials included a black bin bag as a cape and any make up you could find. I remember getting my first proper Halloween make up set in the pound shop, delirah so I was. Among the sweets you'd get a heap of monkey nuts and some fruit, none of which you wanted.

Halloween wasn't Halloween until Hocus Pocus or The Tower of Terror was on the telly. :pac:

The only time the dog was allowed into the house was if there was thunder & lightning OR if there was fireworks going off. I loved it when the doggy was in the house. :) I used to snuggle up next to him in the hall until I was forced to go to bed.

What was it like for you? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Getting bangers fecked at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

l remember when we would call to all the houses in the estate u had to go home three times to get a new bag which was usually a crappy dunnes bag with a hole in it or something, ye greedy fecks we were :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Vampire was my personal favourite costume for years. Darth Vader got a run out one year.

I used to love Halloween. Now, it's largely a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Monkey nuts,monkey nuts and more fookin' monkey nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Defending the stash of bonfire wood was our Vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Used to have a massive bonfire down the road from my house that loads of people would help build.

Shame we don't do it anymore because nobody is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

A kid in my girlfriend's school legit dressed up as an Arab last Friday.

The detail in the costume was awesome, but the school were't too happy.

Definitely a first for me. Beats putting a sheet over your head and going as a ghost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

When I was a kid Halloween involved dressing up as a vampire/witch every year. Costume essentials included a black bin bag as a cape and any make up you could find. I remember getting my first proper Halloween make up set in the pound shop, delirah so I was. Among the sweets you'd get a heap of monkey nuts and some fruit, none of which you wanted.

Halloween wasn't Halloween until Hocus Pocus or The Tower of Terror was on the telly. :pac:

The only time the dog was allowed into the house was if there was thunder & lightning OR if there was fireworks going off. I loved it when the doggy was in the house. :) I used to snuggle up next to him in the hall until I was forced to go to bed.

What was it like for you? :p

I adore Halloween!

For me it was baking and decorating the house and collecting firewood. Dressing up and going door to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I grew up being told face paints were for fancy people.I always got a plastic mask from the news agent, the kind that got drenched inside from condensation from your breath and that you occasionally had to pull up too get a proper breath. Paper witches hats were always de rigueur. I and all my friends were always witches. I'd say it cost the grand total of 2 pounds.

I remember the expectation at doorways willing then to give us money with the power of my mind and being very disappointed with fruit or monkey nuts.☺

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My brother and I used to spend every summer in France at our Dads. Every year my brother used to buy s*itloads of fireworks and bring them back here and sell them to all his friends. So it was usually spent selling fireworks with him and setting them off. Very enterprising young fella.

We always had halloween parties too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

We were poor.

Two days after Halloween ( back in the late 70's ) my younger brother put on his duffle coat backwards with the hood essentially covering his face and proceeded to a well off neighbours house a few doors up. Cue my brother coming back a minute later with a shiny 10p coin in his hand and beaming from ear to ear..

I rush to get my duffle coat, put on backwards, run up and knock at the same house only for a " no thanks " and a quickly shut door in my face.
    Soo embarrassing to say the least to be left standing there empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Homemade masks or dirt cheap hard plastic things that cut the face off you. We used to play games at home, ducking for apples etc. When I hit my early teens then it involved building a massive bonfire that could be seen for miles. We'd have fireworks the older lads bought and we'd walk about 10 mile trick or treating, that still only meant about 20 houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Dressing up from the contents of an old box of clothes kept in the attic and those plastic masks with elastic straps. None of your fancy outfits like what is sold now. None of this 'trick or treating' - you'd have to do something at each house, poem or song, joke etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

A kid in my girlfriend's school legit dressed up as an Arab last Friday.

The detail in the costume was awesome, but the school were't too happy.

Definitely a first for me. Beats putting a sheet over your head and going as a ghost.

Errm ... your girlfriend's still in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Doing nic nacs but no egging of gafs, we drew the line there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I don't remember Halloween being that big a deal in the 80's. Not so much with the costumes as it was just a night for acting the maggot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I forgot about the dodgy plastic masks!! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My costume consisted of a witches mask and a black bin bag and those witches fingers you'd get with the warts and long red nails. I'd never manage to have the full set of ten nails so I'd have like two on one hand and three on the other. One year my plastic witches mask ripped so I had to go to the local shop and buy a mask last minute but all that was left were plastic devil masks, about ten of them all hung up, nobody wanted to be a devil in our area. So my outfit one year was witches broom and bin bag and devils mask.
    I remember too when we'd say "trick or treat" some houses would respond and say "trick please". We'd just look at them blankly and be like wha?? Jus gimme my sweets lady. Sweets and money only, no monkey nuts or other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Remember me ma made me a Teenage mutant ninja turtle costume one year when i was in school. Green face paint yellow shell green outfit the works!. She was great at making stuff every year actually wizard clown super mario all kinds !.

Wore it to school and remember chasing me friend up the street on the way home shouting cowabunga like a little dope!! :pac:.

One house in the corner of the cull de sac i lived on used to always put loads of horror movie posters up in the windows of there house and you got loads when you called. Her son would **** bottles of water over ya sometimes from the top window as well !

It was good when loads of kids lived there but soon as we where one the only familys left got bit ****e. Used to like going for a drive with me brother ma and da that night up to where me granny lived *Where they live now* and see all the bonfires on the way.

You never got anything like that really where i lived cause no fields so ya i never actually got to go to one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I grew up being told face paints were for fancy people.I always got a plastic mask from the news agent, the kind that got drenched inside from condensation from your breath and that you occasionally had to pull up too get a proper breath. .

And as soon as you put the mask on, the elastic band thingy usually snapped :(. Thus fecking up you night, as you spent most of it trying to salvage the mask with a makeshift knot.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Well they wasn't Christmas decorations and Xmas ads a month before Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I used to be sh*t terrified of the fireworks and walking along the country roads in the pitch black. There would be a heap of us together and my granaunt would sometimes walk with us telling us creepy stories about the old house on the bridge. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Black bags and coal smudged onto the face was the order of the day when I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Errm ... your girlfriend's still in school?

Hahaha, that doesn't look good after re-reading it :pac:

She's a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Fook that trick or treat american shyte it was help the halloween party and give us as much stuff as we could carry and if you got some money or sweets you were delighted but usually ended up with fruit and nuts that you would be eating for weeks.
    Bonfires and cider, the smell of sticks off you and your clothes and nacker drinking beside the bonfire, those were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

My best costume ever was Santa Clause.

It was great - a handful of drunk girls sat on my lap and I got to ask them if they were naughty or nice and if they wanted to see my package. I imagine that's what it's like for attractive guys all the time - but the suit turned my stomach fat into an asset instead of a turn-off and the beard covered my acne.

Pathetic? Yes.

But it was a great night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Burning a cork to get the black for your face, and going door to door.
    Trying to get a penny out of an apple floating in a chipped enamel basin with gravity taking the penny to the underside of the floating apple.
    Trying to get a penny out of an apple suspended on a string, hands tied behind your back.
    Eating home-made barm brack and hoping to get the sixpence.
    In later years up in Dublin rich people had fireworks, and they set them off in the roundabout in the middle of the road so everyone enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Black bags and coal smudged onto the face was the order of the day when I was a kid.

and what did you wear for Halloween?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I recall one year in the early 90s (around 1993/1994) one of my neighbours gave out full sized Mars Bars.
    I'll never forget that glorious night. Sadly, she's since moved away... :(

Advertisement