Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Inbox App (Discussion Only, No Invites)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Armelodie wrote: »
    how could you sex up an email system though... its just like putting my little pony stickers on your letterbox! Sorry to be a cynic but isn't this probably just a better way to mine your mails to sell you sh###.

This is like Keep/Gmail/Calendar smudged together, I don't get the appeal, to be honest.

I hope it's not the future for Gmail users, I want that stuff separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

advertsfox wrote: »
    Got an invite, no option to share yet but will post once I can.

Overall, the app is nice and I'm very particular about my labels and this seems to organise everything very well. I tend to Star items I need to get to later but forget about them so the snooze and done options appeal to me.

Will test the desktop version later, I archive all my mail regardless so anything in my Inbox is new so I'll let it build up.

When did you ask for an invite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Amalgam wrote: »
    Oh it will be, seperate site / app / access so not to worry there. Also, the new Gmail app for Lollipop will support Outlook / Yahoo / Exchange out of the box so they are making it even better. The Gmail app is the best app I've ever used and has over 1 billion downloads, they can't ever scrap that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    When did you ask for an invite?
    I emailed the request address on the 22nd but I've had Gmail since 2005 so that may give me precedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Amalgam wrote: »
    This is like Keep/Gmail/Calendar smudged together, I don't get the appeal, to be honest.

They said in the mail that gmail is not been replaced, so no ones holding a gun to your head telling you to use this app....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I emailed the request address on the 22nd but I've had Gmail since 2005 so that may give me precedence.

I was one of the earliest users of Gmail but got no invite, perhaps it's luck of the draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

54kroc wrote: »
    I was one of the earliest users of Gmail but got no invite, perhaps it's luck of the draw?

So was I, I didn't get one either, one of the lads on here sent me one, seems random tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I don't think it has anything to do with getting an invite since i have been a gmail user since 2004 and have not gotten an invite. Seems to be the luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Should there be another thread for users of the app, and leave this one for invites? I have it working, but the facility for sharing invites hasn't become active, and my 3 are already allocated when they become available. Wouldn't mind another thread for app discussion only.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll split the discussion and invite chat, I'm sure the mods won't mind.

Edit: Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Using this the last few days and its a good set up so far.

Thanks for splitting.

I've been using it since Friday night. I noticed that some notifications don't seem to push though, and nearly every time I launch the app there are mails there that didn't show up as a notification. The settings for each bundle are controlled separately and I've got notifications turned on for all of them. Maybe it's a simple glitch that they'll work on. Anyone else getting the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I got a quick survey today when using Inbox app on my phone.
    Pretty simple thing really. Just one question with around 7 options about how much I liked or hated it. Then a second optional question which asked to comment and elaborate if there were some things I particularly like or find annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Using the 1+1 finding it randomly not opening, anyone with a different phone having the same issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Using it for a few days now. Thoughts are below.....

Good bits! .
    Layout is ok but takes a while to get used to
    Quick and responsive
    It could replace AnyDo app. (if it could include a link to my call log/history to allow me to set missed calls as a reminder)
    Label sorting seems to work well

Dislike or could improve .
    It is not marking emails as read if I mark them as Done. Hence I have hundreds of unread email in my Gmail now.
    A little bit cluttered on the phone and I can't seem to find a way of making a group of mails as being read.
    Notification of mails are a bit hit and miss

I have not tried desktop version yet but will tomorrow

Works very well for me. I think to get the best use out of it, you need to be the type that archives emails and keeps your inbox pretty clear. If you have hundreds (or thousands) of emails in your inbox (for the love of God, WHYYYY? :)), it may be a bit unwieldy.

Snooze is genius - I might actually stop using AnyDo.

The only issue is flaky notification. I don't think it pushes as often as Gmail did, so there are times you open the client and there would be new emails there (but no notification). I'm sure this will be fine tuned as the beta progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Mr E wrote: »
    If you have hundreds (or thousands) of emails in your inbox (for the love of God, WHYYYY? )

7664 :eek::eek:

where else can they go ?

Archive them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

so they've turned our inbox into google+ ?

thats one way of making us use it

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭theintern

After a few days of using it, I have to say I love it. I try and keep my inbox almost like a to do list already, so things that I'm working on are in there and get archived when I'm done, so it fits perfectly.

You people who have thousands of emails in your inbox disgust me.

• Advertisement

I can't see any way to empty the trash folder within the app. Or am I missing something? I can send stuff to trash, but then having to go into the old gmail app to empty it seems clumsy.

I logged into gmail this morning on my laptop and was prompted to switch to the inbox view. Looks nice and uncluttered on desktop too.

I might spend some time rearranging my filters in gmail to make better use of inbox.

Mr E wrote: »
    I logged into gmail this morning on my laptop and was prompted to switch to the inbox view. Looks nice and uncluttered on desktop too.

I might spend some time rearranging my filters in gmail to make better use of inbox.

Yep, looks nice on the web. Can't see a way to empty the trash in the web interface either, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

I'll take a spare invite if anybody has one? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Goofy wrote: »
    I'll take a spare invite if anybody has one? Thanks

Wrong thread for that.

Signatures not working for me. I have numerous email addresses set up in Gmail and they all have individual signatures but none working in the Inbox app.

Also very annoying that you cannot mark a group of emails as 'read' or 'unread' I can select 'Done' but it leaves the emails as 'Unread' which is mighty messy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

To those of you with the option to send invites: how long was it before it became available?

BadPanda wrote: »
    To those of you with the option to send invites: how long was it before it became available?

Have it since last Friday but I still don't have any invites available they seem to have dried up completely

Try this
    http://digiwonk.wonderhowto.com/how-to/give-your-friends-access-inbox-by-gmail-without-any-invites-0158201/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Have it since last Friday but I still don't have any invites available they seem to have dried up completely

Try this
    http://digiwonk.wonderhowto.com/how-to/give-your-friends-access-inbox-by-gmail-without-any-invites-0158201/

Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Is anyone else still having an issue around notifications.

New mails are not activating push notifications. I will receive the notification from gmail as j stool have those setup, but any test I do wing registrar on Inbox. The mail is in the inbox when I open the app.

Any idea what in doing wrong?

Advertisement