Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd rate colleges in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Yes,it very much is.Good luck with the CAO.

No, your cv will be dumped before you even get an interview for most big employers. Trust me, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

His statement was in no way accurate but yours is on fairly shaky ground too. Degree in engineering from an IoT hands down better than from a university???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Hitchens

“We have only one Irish person working in the team – we have had to employ people in Stockholm, Lisbon and Hyderabad to get the job done, to find the qualified people,” he said.

Only one Irish person..........from all the IT's and Universities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

Colleges exist to make money and will make a course out of anything!!!

Of course, he's right . . . Choose carefully I would advise anybody and try and see what regard Industry has for the course . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Beaner1 wrote: »
    No, your cv will be dumped before you even get an interview for most big employers. Trust me, I know.

I must get onto my manager to strip me of my six figure salary so...

(it feels good to say that,SIX figure salary,who thought somebody from an IT could get that from a large multinational without having their CV thrown in the bin.)

• Advertisement

and how do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You've worked in HR for most big employers?

mackg wrote: »
    His statement was in no way accurate but yours is on fairly shaky ground too. Degree in engineering from an IoT hands down better than from a university???

Yes.

Yes.

Anything to back that up other than your SIX FIGURE SALARY?

I must get onto my manager to strip me of my six figure salary so...

(it feels good to say that,SIX figure salary,who thought somebody from an IT could get that from a large multinational without having their CV thrown in the bin.)

You did it th hard way then and before the current employers market. I'm on 170k so nanana.

• Advertisement

You did it th hard way then and before the current employers market. I'm on 170k so nanana.

Well I'm on 171,000.50 nanananer

Walt Disney's ancestors came from Carlow.At one point ,there was some kind of bursary in his name to the IT in Carlow.
    Sorry, I can't focus on the content of that article with that picture.

Hang on a minute...this guy does look familiar...

http://c1.thejournal.ie/media/2014/10/jerry-kennelly-390x285.jpg

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120316061532/dragonball/images/1/14/Ratatouille_Movie,_Remy.jpg

I think we've uncovered a direct line of Disney ancestry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well I'm on 171,000.50 nanananer

What's the exchange rate at the minute?

100 nanananers to the euro or thereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

History,English,Law etc etc - universities excel

IT,Engineering,Design,Built Environment - IT's hands down.

I'd say a mixture of backgrounds is good. There's more to being good at engineering etc. in the so-called real world than aiming to be a ninja with the facts / hands on bits, which is the impression I get when someone says ITs are better than universities at engineering.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What's that in euro?

12500 after tax :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am an engineering student in my final year in CIT, we actively have employers specifically coming to the college looking for the best students. Almost all of the engineering courses are audited by Engineers Ireland and they are pretty strict on what level of maths must be taught and what subjects and topics must be included. They also do spot checks on exams and ensure that they are being marked correctly etc.

Even courses in CIT such as recreational leisure have alot of management & business modules that are very applicable to real world jobs in that industry.

To me the only issue i take fault with really is people that are allowed to sit repeats virtually every semester and carry on and come out with the same qualification at the end.

Also with the levels of funding after being slashed going to colleges i dont know how people expect them to raise their game. The workload on some of the lecturers along with doing their own research the taking care of post grad projects is pretty immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

To me the only issue i take fault with really is people that are allowed to sit repeats virtually every semester and carry on and come out with the same qualification at the end.

Why wouldnt they ? If they've reached the level they've earned the same qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Any I.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

My university degree consisted of 13 hours per week *including* tutorials.

4 years it took.

It also involved studying French as part of a law degree. Lets just say that whenever I meet French people, we speak English.

I have a friend from the same course who speaks terrible French with a Monaghan accent.

I'm not blaming the university for that. My point is, how the Hell did they let us graduate with a claim to proficiency? People should not be coming out of university with honors degrees, when they can't do what it says on their degrees.

I know this partially reflects badly on me, because it suggests that grade inflation explains my degree result, and that I didn't deserve the grade I got. But I'm just being honest. have no idea what the universities are at. Anyone could have done that degree in two years instead of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

My CAO went fine back in the day thanks.

Here, ITs have an important place no doubt about it but trying to claim that the educational standard is somehow much higher there than the likes of Trinity is total rubbish that smacks of chip on shoulder syndrome. Thats great that you're on a 6 figure salary, thank you for telling us. Employers recruit directly from universities also. What is your point? There is certainly not as much hand holding and educational spoon feeding in unis as there is in ITs. Is that what you are trying to say? The standard of student entering both are usually significantly different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Taco Chips wrote: »
    None of thats really true though is it?

It actually is true. In science anyway the ITs are much better for actually preparing their students for the real world and getting jobs. They do a lot of hands on work and work experience which is what matters the most in the end. A lot of people are coming out of universities with good degrees but no experience. What makes your degree so special if you have no job experience to back it up? There are thousands of other people coming out of university with the same degree. Employers, particularly in scientific industry circles, want people who have lab experience and are ready to start work straight away. Most universities just don't prepare their students enough for the working world and ultimately they can't compete with the person who has experience that they don't have. The ITs actually gear their courses towards the end goal of making their students employable. Friends of mine did science in NUIG and not one of them has a science job and every employer tells them the same thing: you're not employable without experience. On the other hand, a girl I know did science in GMIT and walked into a well paid job in a lab in a hospital after graduating and later got a job in the morgue. She has used her degree in two different jobs and got into a masters. None of the ones from NUIG have used their degrees in any meaningful way since graduating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yep, I went to UCC and DCU (the latter is along the lines of an I.T.)

UCC - totally academic, which is as it should be; not all about what job people can get at the end of it. It's mostly just up to the student what they make of it.
    DCU - much more about training and preparing students for the workforce. Way more disciplined and structured, with attendance noted.

conorh91 wrote: »

4 years it took.

It also involved studying French as part of a law degree. Lets just say that whenever I meet French people, we speak English.

I have a friend from the same course who speaks terrible French with a Monaghan accent.

I'm not blaming the university for that. My point is, how the Hell did they let us graduate with a claim to proficiency? People should not be coming out of university with honors degrees, when they can't do what it says on their degrees.

I know this partially reflects badly on me, because it suggests that grade inflation explains my degree result, and that I didn't deserve the grade I got. But I'm just being honest. have no idea what the universities are at. Anyone could have done that degree in two years instead of four.

A friend of mine recently did a 1 year springboard conversion masters and he essentially described it as doing a degree in a year. He said it was intense but that he realised after that he could have done his original degree in a year. At the end of the day though our degrees are not poorly valued in comparison to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

IT students can bleat about discrimination all the want but you can't fool employers when it comes to joke courses. The bar is set so low at ITs as they are desperate for students and failing 60% of first years (which they should do from what I've heard) would kill them stone dead in terms of funding.

based on my experience, there's a big difference in the standard of graduates we tend to get in from the local IT v the local NUI College. The former show less initiative, usually require more instruction and supervision, and generally have poorer communication & literacy skills.

based on my experience, there's a big difference in the standard of graduates we tend to get in from the local IT v the local NUI College. The former show less initiative, usually require more instruction and supervision, and generally have poorer communication & literacy skills.

Is this because you have a massive chip on your shoulder in common with them.

I once turned down a PhD at an IT (I was invited to discuss) as the head man wanted it use me as some kind of experiment to show that SFI were discriminating again ITs. I politely turned him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Like he says it's in their interest to spread the courses out over 3, 4 years.

It's not only IT's a lot of university courses could be run to completion in a shorter timespan also.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

conorh91 wrote: »

4 years it took.

I totally agree with you on this. I did an undergrad and postgrad in an Irish university and the standard of my work in hindsight was poor. I realised this when I did a postgrad at a UK university. I got away with it however and technically I'm qualified in something I know nothing about. Clever manipulation of an interview scenario and I could well swing a job in that field. My UK masters was in a different field and I really had to up my game. Irish university was not helpful in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A cousin of mine had got a second class honours in Athlone IT for doing a course relating to Sports Science and Business Studies for a few years.

He had business experience while working in a local quarry wholesalers doing Bookkeeping and he also trained to become a lifeguard as part of his training experience.

He now works on a full time basis doing swimming coaching in a local hotel in Athlone. He likes the job very much as the work is suited to his own career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

UCC is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jerry is well known for his self publicising sound bites that are usually wide of the mark.

eg. Startup entrepeneurs are ideally young. Look up the EY entrepeneur of the year's (Mark Roden) profile.

Advertisement