Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbus to launch A321neoLR to replace 757

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Growler!!! wrote: »
    I'd rather drive the road than stand in the CBP line in the US for hours along with the other multinational flights. Much easier through SNN.

Is it the road you've an issue with or the dumps of towns?:D

Both!!! Use to travel it a couple of times a week upto recently enough,ive never been in a queue for long over there ina few airports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

A320 wrote: »
    Both!!! Use to travel it a couple of times a week upto recently enough,ive never been in a queue for long over there ina few airports

Ditto, there's a short cut around charleville. Buttervant, could be better. Slipping up the M8 then through mitchelstown is quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I believe the Cork multinationals were looking for a 2 weekly 757? Not exactly jeapordising Shannon and Dublin TATL flights. And if my mind serves me SNN - JFK stops Jan - Apr... only United to EWR stands in the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Growler!!! wrote: »
    I'd rather drive the road than stand in the CBP line in the US for hours along with the other multinational flights. Much easier through SNN.

Is it the road you've an issue with or the dumps of towns?:D

I haven't stood but for hours but I did stand for ages in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Clearance in the States is luck of the draw. You can be lucky on a given day and clear immigration (and then the separate line for customs) in maybe 30 mins, but if you happen to land in behind a 380 or a couple of widebodies, you can easily have added several hours to your day. At the end of a long flight, that can be rather tiresome. Have to say, I'm a great fan of preclearance. It's great to arrive as a domestic passenger, and makes it especially nice if you are making a connection.

Well Newark is not wide bodies.

owenc wrote: »
    Well Newark is not wide bodies.

BA fly 787s in there, United have plenty of widebodies as many airlines do I presume. So it's the same situation as anywhere else.

Most of the flights are narrow bodies and that flight arrives at 11pm. Trust me. I have been there a couple of times now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Most of the flights are narrow bodies and that flight arrives at 11pm. Trust me. I have been there a couple of times now.

There are plenty of international wide bodies(777, 767, a330s etc) landing at Newark every day.

You have to remember that when you look out the window and see all of the narrow bodies that most of these are domestic so don't go through customs and border

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

You've been there a 'couple of times'. Trust me, when you are United platinum you see all types. Granted the bulk of the 757 flights from Ire/UK/Near Europe get in at around 11am, but you are mixed in with all the other services, and EWR is not exclusive to UA. Being in CBP at that time is NOT fun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I really think you enjoy trolling other members here with Walter Mitty type posts pretending that you know something. There isn't a single thread that you haven't managed to stay on topic.

Taking a couple of flights through EWR does not make you an expert in the field if CBP which in itself is taking away from the whole discussion of the new proposed airbus. Nobody cares if there is wide bodies, narrow bodies or no bodies going through EWR at certain times of the day. ITS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

man98 wrote: »
    I believe the Cork multinationals were looking for a 2 weekly 757? Not exactly jeapordising Shannon and Dublin TATL flights. And if my mind serves me SNN - JFK stops Jan - Apr... only United to EWR stands in the way.
    It would really have to be at least twice weekly to operate correctly, other wise you would have a crew laying over either in JFK or ORK depending where it originates from.

I really think you enjoy trolling other members here with Walter Mitty type posts pretending that you know something. There isn't a single thread that you haven't managed to stay on topic.

Taking a couple of flights through EWR does not make you an expert in the field if CBP which in itself is taking away from the whole discussion of the new proposed airbus. Nobody cares if there is wide bodies, narrow bodies or no bodies going through EWR at certain times of the day. ITS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD!!!!!

Going off topic is not trolling. And I go off topic on other forums even look on airliners.net. No one cares, this forum is terrible constant use of that word and it's the only forum that I go on that people actually care about staying on topic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going off topic is not trolling. And I go off topic on other forums even look on airliners.net. No one cares, this forum is terrible constant use of that word and it's the only forum that I go on that people actually care about staying on topic.

Every forum has its own rules and standards.

roundymac wrote: »
    It would really have to be at least twice weekly to operate correctly, other wise you would have a crew laying over either in JFK or ORK depending where it originates from.

Just thinking if they can start a 5 weekly flight from Newcastle then definitely cork!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just thinking if they can start a 5 weekly flight from Newcastle then definitely cork!

Newcastle doesn't have to compete with an airport with preclearance 100 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

this forum is terrible
    Well it wasn't me who started it so stop flipping blaming me.

You'll find on a forum that there is debate and a bit of to-ing and fro-ing. At no stage should you react to anything in a personal way. If you find yourself reacting in such a way then perhaps go outside for a bit of air.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This is the A321neo LR discussion. Lets keep it to subjcts at least realting to this proposed new version of the successful Airbus aircraft. Discussing the B757 and its future is realated, discussing the movements in EWR...not so much.
    We try t keep on topic otherwise we end up with a meandering 20 page thread on general aviation.

I'm going to delete most of the recent comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I'm getting confused, what was this thread about?

• Advertisement

Please PLEASE just look at WHO asked ME where I live! NOT ME.
    I didn't even prevent people from discussing the a321 they can discuss away.

You kind of did...
    What are the runway specs for this going to be like? The 757 is relatively short, but doesn't the B739ER need quite a bit?

Thread locked while everyone takes a deep breath and steps away from the keyboard for few hours.

Thread opened again.
    Here's a n article that smurfjed posted elsewhere. Its an Airbus infomercial from 2004 which extols the benefits of the additional center fuel tanks. (ACTs) Shows how this is not a new concept for them.

http://www.airbus.com/support/publications/?eID=dam_frontend_push&docID=17453

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Interesting that it's not a permanent fitting, the additional tanks can be removed or refitted relatively quickly, which could make them even more useful depending on the time of year and the routes that are suitable for them in long range mode. Being able to remove the tanks to enable more freight or bags on shorter routes could be quite useful

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Interesting that it's not a permanent fitting, the additional tanks can be removed or refitted relatively quickly, which could make them even more useful depending on the time of year and the routes that are suitable for them in long range mode. Being able to remove the tanks to enable more freight or bags on shorter routes could be quite useful

Could prove very useful for the Canaries ex-DUB for one anyway - full capacity when there's more business in the summer, no tech stop in winter when they're less full anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

/off topic

A number of the EI 321s were delivered with ACTs fitted; they were removed (who knows why) - and never used. Interestingly, some of the ones handed back had to have them fitted before being returned to the lessor, so there were ACTs in Hangar 6 for a while fuelling(!) a few more rumours..!

/topic

The engine/wing combo will be interesting to see. The missions that this LR version will cover are pretty specific; the existing 321 does the high capacity 4 hour sectors relatively well already...all the UK charter operators are living proof! Similarly the Scandinavians happily operate them too to the Canaries.

Advertisement