Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you like your online self?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Chucken wrote: »
    You do not! :)

Flattery will get you everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

do you like your online self?

I don't need to, my minions tell me I'm adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

Vomit wrote: »
    How come very few people understand what the word 'reactionary' really means?
    I guess because we associate it with over-reaction. Had no idea it meant anything else, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Not on Boards.ie but certainly on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Lalealea wrote: »
    The B-52's?

:-)

The B Sharps. :D

Yeah. I probably use fewer Simpsons quotes in real life..

Actually, no, I probably use more!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I know real life ain't a forum but in a way it is where all still talking about the same things in most cases offline then on.

I don't see the point in being someone different on here then who u really are your gaining nothing from it.

You're

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

I believe I am very similar online as I am in person (witty, insightful, enthusiastic etc.) I am probably more modest in real life as I've learned that some people become rather vexed if I spend too much time talking about my achievements.

As for liking people, I get on well with almost everyone. I have a great ability to transcend social, economic and educational barriers. I'm as at ease chatting to my postman Torsten about Eintracht Frankfurt's latest exploits in the Bundesliga as I am dissecting and discussing the latest outflows from Europe-facing ETFs with a fellow senior account manager.

:pac: Oh god. I dont know if you're being serious or not but it's hilarious either way.

Well... I was trying to take the piss in the context off the narky discussion but good job :pac:

How long were you waiting for that though?! It's like a set up. Pounce!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm able to say what I want a lot more online.

What I mean is that the people in interact with offline are obviously part of my offline life - they are my family, friends, colleagues, acquaintances, etc. I see them basically every day. I have to see them basically every day. It's easier to be on good terms with them than bad.

So when one of them makes a comment I compeletely disagree with and think is stupid/unfounded/wrong, I'll respond (if I respond at all) with much more restraint than I do online.

Online, I am more free to say exactly what I think. It's often a great release for me.

I'm actally impressed in a way by people who don't seem to care so much about being on bad terms with people they interact with everyday offline.

I went to a meeting a few days ago, and two of the people attending the meeting criticised each other straight out for about 25 minutes. Serious professional criticism of each other. And at the end they just thanked each other for coming to the meeting and left the room. They'll see each other in the corridors, at future meeting and so on, and be civil to each other, and it doesn't seem to bother them.

I naturally shy away from situations like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

My real life self isn't forced to be overly pc(or he would go postal). he is rude and dynamic as he sees fit. Therefore happy.

My online self is a censored proxy, only taken with "moderation" to keep the bubble gum pop people of forums disassociated from the real world. Therefore, has less hope for humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Ironically, I'm nicer online. I'm a ****ing cock in real life and often blurt out things without really thinking them through, but when I post something on the internet I have a brief opportunity to reflect on my outbursts and quickly edit them before anyone notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Boards is different to facebook. On facebook I'd be more like myself because people know who I am. I'm more careful about what I say. I'm annoymous on boards so I can discuss things I wouldn't normally discuss, like drugs and hookers and what I really think about Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I have garnered the love, respect and admiration of many thousands boardsies. They see me as legend, as hero, as one man brave enough to battle the dry mundane sh*te of the others....the pc brigade. They walk amongst us like a dark plague, snatching at forward critical thinking individuals. Their goal, to crush independent thought, to crush opinion, to feed as much fluoride to people as possible creating drones of obedient pc do gooders for the powers that be to sodomise.

With slapstick social commentary. One man battles to rid the world of this infestation, to change the tide of public opinion. The battles continues...

I'am Mint

I'am Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I have garnered the love, respect and admiration of many thousands boardsies. They see me as legend, as hero, as one man brave enough to battle the dry mundane sh*te of the others....the pc brigade. They walk amongst us like a dark plague, snatching at forward critical thinking individuals. Their goal, to crush independent thought, to crush opinion, to feed as much fluoride to people as possible creating drones of obedient pc do gooders for the powers that be to sodomise.

With slapstick social commentary. One man battles to rid the world of this infestation, to change the tide of public opinion. The battles continues...

I'am Mint

I'am Legend

That's all well and good, could I have an Aero bar please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Mint aero for leader!

Advertisement