Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you like your online self?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Apparently not looking for badness in everyone else = being like a teenager. Except no, that's actually what teenagers do.

osarusan wrote: »
    misanthropy, edginess, irony, moronic....AAARGH.

Thread gone to sh!t so quickly over the last couple of hours.

Kind of wish I had read the thread before I posted now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I try try try to live by the motto "Don't sweat the small stuff". It works.

Sometimes the small stuff builds up into something huge if you ignore it.

Macavity. wrote: »
    Sometimes the small stuff builds up into something huge if you ignore it.

Absolutely. There's a difference between ignoring things and not letting them get on top of you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I killed my online self stone dead 3 weeks ago

It was v pleasurable

My real self now has a truer relationship with my phone, in a non sexual way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Oh boy,

It was originally said that I was acting like a teenager by saying I wasn't a big fan of people in general. Me saying I had no interest in being or acting like a teenager was in response to that, keep up with the conversation people.

In summary, yes my online self is quite similar to my offline self.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm much the same in real life.
    An asshole I believe is the correct nomenclature:D

But yes - I fúcking love me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I don't know what irony means in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I know of people who like acting like complete bellends on the Interwebs. There isn't really too much more to it than having a laugh and trying to get a decent rise out of people who are rather keen to act po-faced and as the rock of common sense online.

It's cool to pretend to be all misanthropic though. These folks who "don't like people" - I wonder might they ever consider that maybe the problem is themselves, seeing as others don't "dislike people" to the extent they do and seem to know far more nice people.
    DeadHand wrote: »
    Exactly, it's a teenage attempt to appear "edgy". These keyboard warriors turn into
    Dr. House when they log into AH- "I hate everyone, everyone's an idiot blah blah blah".

It's unoriginal and boring.

Mod

Seriously lads, you're freaking out because someone said they don't like people. Who cares?

You have both cross the line and attacked the poster and not the post. Please don't post in this thread again.

Shakespeare's Sister, a huge amount of your posts these days are attacking the posters of After Hours, some more thinly veiled than others. It stops now or you will be banned from this forum - you don't seem to like it very much anyway so I'm not really sure why you return day after day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Sclosages wrote: »
    I don't know what irony means in real life.

You mean when the literal meaning is the precise opposite of the actual meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I have to admit, I have far less time for bollocks talk online these days than I used to.

Perhaps, it's because I've heard a lot of hoary old arguments before.

But there are some serious masters of the old bollocks talk knocking around boards and frankly, there are some people that I just don't believe are honest in the posted opinions and at times my patience gets fried and I get warned or banned.

Although, to be perfectly honest/ some of those bannings have been questionable to say the very least.

It does strike me though that there are a good few people on here to simply argue an issue because they've nothing better to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Interesting question OP.

To be honest no I don't or more accurately I don't like the image my posting probably gives, which is probably of an intolerant right wing catholic misogynist, (since i am pretty far left, and have some very close female and gay friends and i don't go to mass).

I do think i've gradually became much more cynical about boards in the last two or three years, in that using it more for a long period I do see that oft times the more "correct" posters will have said stuff thats counter intuitive to what they post in other threads.
    Its this behaviour that I don't really understand, even though I am probably guilty of it myself, as while obviously everybody is a bit hypocritical in RL its generally for an obvious reason unlike here where you don't gain anything from a few thanks (or do you =-O )

edit: realistically this is what I use so I don't argue forever with people on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

it appears to me that many boardsies are nothing like real-world people.

You need to get out more then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Interesting question OP.

To be honest no I don't or more accurately I don't like the image my posting probably gives, which is probably of an intolerant right wing catholic misogynist, (since i am pretty far left, and have some very close female and gay friends and i don't go to mass).

Yes and I might come across as a Looney Left liberal PC Brigade Feminazi man-hating do-gooder mounted firmly on my high-horse when I'm actually a far-right Christian man who hates women and has never had so much as a peck on the cheek in my life and currently living in my mam's basement. I feel so misunderstood :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Yes and I might come across as a Looney Left liberal PC Brigade Feminazi man-hating do-gooder mounted firmly on my high-horse when I'm actually a far-right Christian man who hates women and has never had so much as a peck on the cheek in my life and currently living in my mam's basement. I feel so misunderstood :-(

No, everyone gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I believe I am very similar online as I am in person (witty, insightful, enthusiastic etc.) I am probably more modest in real life as I've learned that some people become rather vexed if I spend too much time talking about my achievements.

As for liking people, I get on well with almost everyone. I have a great ability to transcend social, economic and educational barriers. I'm as at ease chatting to my postman Torsten about Eintracht Frankfurt's latest exploits in the Bundesliga as I am dissecting and discussing the latest outflows from Europe-facing ETFs with a fellow senior account manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I believe I am very similar online as I am in person (witty, insightful, enthusiastic etc.) I am probably more modest in real life as I've learned that some people become rather vexed if I spend too much time talking about my achievements.

As for liking people, I get on well with almost everyone. I have a great ability to transcend social, economic and educational barriers. I'm as at ease chatting to my postman Torsten about Eintracht Frankfurt's latest exploits in the Bundesliga as I am dissecting and discussing the latest outflows from Europe-facing ETFs with a fellow senior account manager.

From my keen deductive skills, I have deduced that you are................

A Senior Account Manager.

Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well you got the witty and enthusiastic part right...

Not too sure about insightful and modest though :D

Saeeda123 wrote: »
    yeah u are right. i also noticed the same thing even in myself....

We noticed too. Your history on boards has been one of belligerent confrontation Saeeda. A posting history marred by bile, venom and scorn.

• Advertisement

LOVE your blog Aongus :)

I also have recently discovered the importance of incorporating mindfulness into my life.

Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Well its the internet, the suprise would be if you were saying you were Woman and you weren't a man living in a basement :P

Now your out and proud though do you want to subscribe to my badly printed newsletter, it features everything for the modern Troglodyte, from relationship issues " The Friendzone, 10 reasons its her fault not yours", self improvement " How to be the Alpha Male of the Group in any situation", and current affairs " Gay Muslims: How they have ruined Britain, Is Ireland Next?"

catallus wrote: »
    LOVE your blog Aongus :)

I also have recently discovered the importance of incorporating mindfulness into my life.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you catallus. The blog is more a vehicle for me to articulate some of the random thoughts that buzz around my head throughout the day. I find it a very liberating process. I'm glad to hear that my words of wisdom inspire others.

Well done on incorporating mindfulness into your life. Keep it up! As they say here in Germany "Aller Anfang ist schwer" - "All beginnings are hard"

I too am a Kabat-Zinn fan, now that I discovered him through your blog!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think boards can give you a good indication of what someone is really like, last two boardsies I met were super nice and easy-going but then I knew they would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

it appears to me that many boardsies are nothing like real-world people.

90% of people i meet in the real world seem kind, warm, and non-argumentative

whereas 50% of the online world seems hostile and looking for a fight

so i think a significant amount of onliners must lead a double life of hostility.

i'm not trying to demonize anyone. i've noticed myself that i am far more reactionary online than i would be in public.

so, AH, are you different online? and would you befriend your online self?

How come very few people understand what the word 'reactionary' really means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The tone of the thread has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Just logged into this thread.

Joined the online community thru boards.ie in 2009.

This is my third crack at it.

I was 41 when I first joined & had my opinions pretty much set in stone.

Boy. Did I get a wake up call!

Tis easy to get wrapped up in the past & just get used to talking to local people that you grew up with that you're used to agreeing with your opinion.

For me it's good to see how people outside my own village thinks & take on board why they form their opinions.

I'm 46 now & am graeteful for the chance to become more open to new ideas thru looking & responding to posts on here.

Mind you. my first 2 incarcerations on boards would make for much better reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

i "like" my online self well enough, but I am aware that some aspects of my real personality don't come through very well. I edit myself more online, offline I'm not as "uptight" as I can seem online.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Just logged into this thread.

Joined the online community thru boards.ie in 2009.

This is my third crack at it.

I was 41 when I first joined & had my opinions pretty much set in stone.

Boy. Did I get a wake up call!

Tis easy to get wrapped up in the past & just get used to talking to local people that you grew up with that you're used to agreeing with your opinion.

For me it's good to see how people outside my own village thinks & take on board why they form their opinions.

I'm 46 now & am graeteful for the chance to become more open to new ideas thru looking & responding to posts on here.

Mind you. my first 2 incarcerations on boards would make for much better reading.

Ah g'wan, tell us who you were. You know you're dying to:D:p

Advertisement