Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you like your online self?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Lalealea wrote: »
    The B-52's?

:-)

Indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

Indeed!
    Cosmic thing?
    Awh you're so sweet. :-)

I am probably more emotional and fragile in life. And I'm very very loyal.

I'm a nice person I deserve to like me :-)

Most people are nice ...the online stuff we should not take too serious.

It's nice to be nice even online though.

I'm just a sensitive soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

My online self is better than my in real life self.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

mental note

never start a thread at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

In life we use masks to hide behind even to those closest to us, online people tend to be more raw I think. It is strange and not always pleasant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Give people access to semi anonymity and you create dicks. Half the stuff spouted on here people would never say to someone face to face. You know like walking into “insert dole office name” and calling everyone scrounging scumbags and alike.

Give people access to semi anonymity and you create dicks. Half the stuff spouted on here people would never say to someone face to face. You know like walking into “insert dole office name” and calling everyone scrounging scumbags and alike.

What can I say to make you feel a happy right now?

I got to know a guy from here who was looking for an exercise buddy and I walk with him from time to time and he is not a bit like his boards persona. I asked him why that is so and he just said he loves winding people up and if he did it in real life he would have no friends

Paulownia wrote: »
    In life we use masks to hide behind even to those closest to us, online people tend to be more raw I think. It is strange and not always pleasant

Give a person a mask and you see their true self? Somewhat I still think you see a lot in RL.

I got to know a guy from here who was looking for an exercise buddy and I walk with him from time to time and he is not a bit like his boards persona. I asked him why that is so and he just said he loves winding people up and if he did it in real life he would have no friends

Does he not feel empathy for people online?

If not I would imagine his empathy for people in life is well limited?

• Advertisement

Give a person a mask and you see their true self? Somewhat I still think you see a lot in RL.

In that case you have to wonder which is the real person when they are so different

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Same on here as i am in person always have been. Imagine the effort of having to pretend to be someone else online !

In that case you have to wonder which is the real person when they are so different

There is that question.

I do know people can have contrasting sides or aspects. When they are both generally benevolent or well intentioned that isn't an issue.

It's when one isn't. Or to what degree or how far that will go. Eventually if it goes too far it negates the other.

If you are really really really nasty online ..you are not nice in life ..you are a liar in life.

There is that question.

I do know people can have contrasting sides or aspects. When they are both generally benevolent or well intentioned that isn't an issue.

It's when one isn't. Or to what degree or how far that will go. Eventually if it goes too far it negates the other.

If you are really really really nasty online ..you are not nice in life ..you are a liar in life.
    My pal is not really nasty online, he just tells people things in a very direct way if he disagrees with what they are saying, one example was someone was moaning about their work colleagues and he told them to feck off and find another job that they were probably deserving being given a hard time at work etc.
    The sort of thing you would never say to a friend

My pal is not really nasty online, he just tells people things in a very direct way if he disagrees with what they are saying, one example was someone was moaning about their work colleagues and he told them to feck off and find another job that they were probably deserving being given a hard time at work etc.
    The sort of thing you would never say to a friend

ah :-) i see

• Registered Users Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Seriously?

This is just between you and me, right?

I admitted on national TV that I was a B-52s fan, on Blackboard Jungle many moons ago. The ridicule I got for it was unreal, I thought I was alone in the world, so glad to meet a kindred spirit.:)

Roam if you want to, roam around the world!!
    In first year of secondary school, on the first week, before anyone knew each other, one of the teachers asked everyone what their favourite band was. Most people answered from the following list 'Oasis, Blur, Prodigy, Oasis, Scooter, Oasis, Oasis, Oasis....'

I answered 'Meatloaf'

For the next 5 years I was called 'meatloaf' by some of the meatier headed people in the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

OP, talk to Joe on liveline. To balance it out, get somebody from Peoples Republic of Cork to call joe as a counterbalance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 DiegoCosta

Does he not feel empathy for people online?

If not I would imagine his empathy for people in life is well limited?

People often need to interact with people in real life to feel empathy. When all of your senses interact with someone it is much easier to empathise.

Women are better at empathising on average as they have neural circuitry that is better built to do so. Their mirror neurons are more sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

DiegoCosta wrote: »

Their mirror neurons are more sensitive.

As are their nipples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

it appears to me that many boardsies are nothing like real-world people.

90% of people i meet in the real world seem kind, warm, and non-argumentative

whereas 50% of the online world seems hostile and looking for a fight

so i think a significant amount of onliners must lead a double life of hostility.

i'm not trying to demonize anyone. i've noticed myself that i am far more reactionary online than i would be in public.

so, AH, are you different online? and would you befriend your online self?

My friends talk about football. In general I don't do politics offline. More heat than light.

• Advertisement

However I agree with this:

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I guess it depends where online. In groups like this I think I'm pretty much like my real world self. I've done Admin on a few FB groups for college and quite a few people didn't like me because I was hard on bullies and kicked them out if they got too bad. When I actually met members of the group I got on really well with them.

I'm intolerant of idiots/morons both online and offline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

People are mostly nasty and not very nice, it's just that they hide it in real life. You have to really live with someone to find out what they're really like. The mask will eventually slip there. Online they have no need to hide their true character, some probably use it as a release from their daily fakeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Yep except offline I ask even more inane questions.

Laois6556 wrote: »
    People are mostly nasty and not very nice, it's just that they hide it in real life. You have to really live with someone to find out what they're really like. The mask will eventually slip there. Online they have no need to hide their true character, some probably use it as a release from their daily fakeness.

What if someone is fake nice all the time, at home and at work? Is he or she fake nice or nice.

90% of people i meet in the real world seem kind, warm, and non-argumentative

whereas 50% of the online world seems hostile and looking for a fight

I wonder if that is self selecting to a degree however. After all the kind of contentious issues that come up on a forum like this - are not the kind of issues that generally come up in meat-space conversations.

Perhaps if you bring up these contentious issues in meat-space with the boards users you meet - you might find they get just as emotionally invested in their arguments as they do here.

Perhaps more so - because what you have in meat-space that you do not have on line is cutting people off - shouting them down - and a shorter time between argument and response to cool oneself off and reply rationally rather than angrily.

So I think the impression you have that off line folk lead a double life with their online persona is likely more connected with the fact that what they are discussing off line is simply less emotive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

What if someone is fake nice all the time, at home and at work? Is he or she fake nice or nice.

It's impossible to fake it all the time. So if you know someone who's nice at home and at work then they are actually nice. The fakes will be exposed eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

What's not to like?

Just as neurotic in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I like my online self no more nor more less than my real self.
    I haven't time for agendas, trolling or any of that shyte and don't try to be something I'm not as I'm not very good at multi-tasking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Love The B-52s.

Advertisement