Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Lux23 wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy the other day about beer and he said he won't drink any of the massive brands anymore, not because of the taste but of all the marketing they do. I nearly wet myself, I mean a creating a craft beer is a marketing exercise in itself. Some people are complete fools.

but there's honest marketing, which we need for trade to survive.. and then there's underhanded marketing tactics used to convince you something is not what it seems, or aimed at kids, or the vunerable...

if someone advertises their product honestly and openly then fine. i dont think anyone has an issue with that type of marketing.

when a company like mcdonalds tries to advertise the health benefits to their food, thats when the issue arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

when a company like mcdonalds tries to advertise the health benefits to their food, thats when the issue arises.

Like Kellogg's "the great sugar fibre provider". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

but there's honest marketing, which we need for trade to survive.. and then there's underhanded marketing tactics used to convince you something is not what it seems, or aimed at kids, or the vunerable...

if someone advertises their product honestly and openly then fine. i dont think anyone has an issue with that type of marketing.

Does any brand, small or big, advertise their products openly and honestly?

yes plenty do. my own company does. we have no need to deceive people because we supply a niche product based on a service. if we lie, word gets around and we're done. we do very little advertising as our results speak for themselves. people outside the industry dont need to hear about us and people within the industry know us by reputation and results. infact our yearly advertising budget is ridiculously small.

a company like 'early learning centre' has no need to lie. they advertise toys to the kids and let the parents know that they are educational toys. the product is what it seems and as a father i have no issue with how they promote their product.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

the way to limit it invading your life is to accept it as background noise.

i work in the music industry so im very techy. im in a position that puts me right in the firing line for some high end product pushing. ive learned that the only advertising i listen to is my ears. it could look like a brick but if it sounds good to me, then it is good. thats all the advertising they need on me.

now if only i could apply that to my everyday life!! :D (although we do have a rule that the tv gets muted on ads, especially having a teenager around the place)

I find anyone in to their music very much subject to marketing, just a different kind of marketing Bose comes to mind and things like invitation only DJ sets.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    I find anyone in to their music very much subject marketing, just a different kind of marketing Bose comes to mind and things like invitation only DJ set.

at the consumer end, i agree. bose, K&H, dre beats etc etc all try to convince the listener that their sound is best. and they're all lying thru their teeth to the consumer.

at the professional end of the market it works a liitle different as we use totally different products and because most sound engineers are nerds and we love nothing better than exposing the lies of a speaker company on the frequency response of the unit :D

so they're a lot more careful at that end of the industry.. they still chance it sometimes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I wish people knew the difference between marketing and advertising. The latter is part of the former; the former is a lot more than the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Ronseal: it does exactly what it says on the tin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol if you think advertisements and marketing is bad now just wait until technology hits the streets and public transport and you see traditional billboards replaced with digital ads like you see on TV.

This Post Brought To You By Sky
    Believe in Better

I just remembered why Santy has a red coat with white trimmings...

• Advertisement

I just remembered why Santy has a red coat with white trimmings...

thats why we get our presents from the Krampus!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

i call for a re-read mu' lawd.

Thanks for the kind heads up!
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Having trouble with reading comprehension? The Adult Literacy Agency can help.

Everyone has a right to read.

No thanks to the nasty ****ty post from you boy.

Back on topic, my point remains, Marketing works.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No thanks to the nasty ****ty post from you boy.

Jeez. Who p*ssed in your cornflakes? There was nothing nasty or sh*tty about my post.

If you look back through my first few comments on this thread I have been loading them with advertising slogans.

I did this in my reply to you as well. In a jokey way - I obviously knew you had read only the first part of my post but kept my joke going by using the advertising slogan for a literacy programme. It was a light and offhand way to tell you that you should have a read again of my post and see that I was joking.
    Back on topic, my point remains, Marketing works

Yes it does work.

The joke behind my post was that I was asserting that it doesn't work and then in the next paragraph I ended up mentioning a popular and well known advertising slogan thus undermining my previous assertion.

You know jokes don't work as well when you have to explain them to people.

Who p*ssed in your cornflakes?

Is that a Kelloggs tagline??

Is that a Kelloggs tagline??

It was for a brief period in the 70s.

It was for a brief period in the 70s.

I think you're mistaken. Wasn't it "who shat in my Rice Krispies" when they were advertising Coco pops?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mikeholmes1

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why are people so gullible about publicity and marketing

For example say the Irish rugby team after a big match all go to 'sparkles' night club all wearing the same clobber by some designer, how can anyone be fooled by that I am sure half of them wish they were in their local having a pint.

Or look at the plus size model thing very few people seem to be aware its a marketing campaign and they are taking it seriously.

Or even some event with the tag line Jimmy Joe or Aofia Jane of RTE will be there.

I can understand it in times past when people were more innocent about celebrity culture, but in today society how does it still work ?
    You mean like joe.ie and her.ie both naming a Dublin pub as the place to be back in march apparently after a poll was done and people flocked to it even tho it was obvious the pub paid for this website to say that? simple really people are and will always be Dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You know jokes don't work as well when you have to explain them to people.

Usually means they're not very good jokes! I took you up wrong, I will call off the assassins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I wouldn't call people dumb necessarily for that. In that case they are being lied to about a survey of their user base. It is a good stance to assume all of it is lies but with the amount of seemingly harmless information being filtered through your brain it's hard to give everything the scrutiny it deserves.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Usually means they're not very good jokes! I took you up wrong, I will call off the assassins.

Looking for an assassin? Then look no further! As well as hitmen for hire Reggie's Assassin Rental has all the killtastic assassin gear, weaponry and accessories you could need.

If you want it dead and deaded good then Reggie's Assassin Rental is for you.

• Advertisement

I'm kinda disappointed you're not going to piss on his cornflakes...

yes plenty do. my own company does. we have no need to deceive people because we supply a niche product based on a service. if we lie, word gets around and we're done. we do very little advertising as our results speak for themselves. people outside the industry dont need to hear about us and people within the industry know us by reputation and results. infact our yearly advertising budget is ridiculously small.

a company like 'early learning centre' has no need to lie. they advertise toys to the kids and let the parents know that they are educational toys. the product is what it seems and as a father i have no issue with how they promote their product.

I would love to put that to the test, but I bet someone or somewhere in your communications there are claims made that are spurious.

You mean like joe.ie and her.ie both naming a Dublin pub as the place to be back in march apparently after a poll was done and people flocked to it even tho it was obvious the pub paid for this website to say that? simple really people are and will always be Dumb

That's what you call an advertorial, but most people outside the business can't tell the difference between that and a piece of editorial. Which is mostly good.

I would love to put that to the test, but I bet someone or somewhere in your communications there are claims made that are spurious.

you'd be on a losing bet. but go ahead and put it to the test anyway, i'll even help you out gladly if you so wish.

ask me anything in regards to how we advertise or the results we get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RoboRat

That's what you call an advertorial, but most people outside the business can't tell the difference between that and a piece of editorial. Which is mostly good.

Its either an editorial or paid survey and if its the latter, they are easily worded to ensure the correct outcome is always reached.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Its either an editorial or paid survey and if its the latter, they are easily worded to ensure the correct outcome is always reached.

That's exactly right because 87% of 113 women surveyed said they'd vote yes:pac:

That's exactly right because 87% of 113 women surveyed said they'd vote yes:pac:

we never get to hear what the other 356 women voted.. dont their voices count too? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The whole thing is a load of rich creamery butter. Fcuk it right in the ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The enlightened one has spoken!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Merrion wrote: »
    You're not selling this thread to me OP - can you jazz it up a bit?

Everyone else likes this thread, including a moderator who had sex with a girl.

Advertisement