Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing

Options
  • 20-10-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭

Why are people so gullible about publicity and marketing

For example say the Irish rugby team after a big match all go to 'sparkles' night club all wearing the same clobber by some designer, how can anyone be fooled by that I am sure half of them wish they were in their local having a pint.

Or look at the plus size model thing very few people seem to be aware its a marketing campaign and they are taking it seriously.

Or even some event with the tag line Jimmy Joe or Aofia Jane of RTE will be there.

I can understand it in times past when people were more innocent about celebrity culture, but in today society how does it still work ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

You're not selling this thread to me OP - can you jazz it up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

It's simple: when someone sees an ad that says "Have a Coke" it may make the person feel they want a coke. They might know that it's purely an ad campaign, but if you've a goo on ye for a Coke you're still gonna go have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why are people so gullible about publicity and marketing

For example say the Irish rugby team after a big match all go to 'sparkles' night club all wearing the same clobber by some designer, how can anyone be fooled by that I am sure half of them wish they were in their local having a pint.

Or look at the plus size model thing very few people seem to be aware its a marketing campaign and they are taking it seriously.

Or even some event with the tag line Jimmy Joe or Aofia Jane of RTE will be there.

I can understand it in times past when people were more innocent about celebrity culture, but in today society how does it still work ?

That's all a bit blatant in fairness.
    It's the stuff with the clever psychology that people should be aware of,such as frightening the life out of people about germs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Celebrity endorsement works.

People, in general (and that's what matters) want to emulate and to a certain extent trust celebrites.

Plus, people are thick. :D Lots have difficulty distinguishing between soap characters and the actor that plays them.

I am smcgiff and I endorse this message. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

To be honest, everything a company does (that you notice) is either marketing or direct sales in an effort to increase brand awareness and increase sales.
    Why do the local pub sponsor the local team?
    Why do the local pub put on a "happy hour"?
    Why do companies give away freebies? Think free mugs, free pens, free t-shirts etc.
    Why do "free" websites exist e.g. like this one? (clue: more traffic = more ad revenue)
    Why do "free" apps collect info regarding your usage of X, throughts on Y etc?
    Why do people/ companies write blogs?

None of the above are done for "the good of the community"

Why did U2 give away their album for free (OK, because it was muck:))

• Registered Users Posts: 60,409 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NSFW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Watch out Mums, your child will abandon you if you don't buy this stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

Cadillac Man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

If its good enough for Jimmy Joe or Aofia Jane of RTE fame,im in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

kneemos wrote: »
    Cadillac Man?

Glengarry Glen Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I believe it is spelled "Morkeshin".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Glengarry Glen Ross

One of my favourite movies of all time.

"Coffees for Closers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

gandalf wrote: »
    One of my favourite movies of all time.

"Coffees for Closers"

Haven't seen it since it came out. Would probably appreciate it more now. Thought it was quite good at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Marketing works on everyone, no matter how smart you might think you are, it's still working on your subconscious. Some might not be aimed at you, but you can bet that the hundreds of millions spent on marketing in Ireland every year, isn't companies wasting money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

You should have a look at the documentary, "the century of the self" by Adam Curtiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

smcgiff wrote: »
    Celebrity endorsement works.

People, in general (and that's what matters) want to emulate and to a certain extent trust celebrites.

Plus, people are thick. :D Lots have difficulty distinguishing between soap characters and the actor that plays them.

I am smcgiff and I endorse this message. :pac:

Serious question has anyone ever gone to a charity gig or an event because a celebrity would be there, this is probably just me but celebrity endorsement would put me off a product or an event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

You should have a look at the documentary, "the century of the self" by Adam Curtiss.

one of the greatest bbc documentaries ever made. they'll never make anything like that again now that they serve to put only certain agendas across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Serious question has anyone ever gone to a charity gig or an event because a celebrity would be there, this is probably just me but celebrity endorsement would put me off a product or an event.

I'd be in your boat re the celebrities but marketing/ morketing/ morkeshing is targetted at those souls that the company sees as the people most likely to convince to buy their product. If you want teeny boppers to buy your product, associate it with things that teeny boppers have an interest in.

There wouldn't be much point in advertising Lego in an old folks home.

smash wrote: »

ok, thats terrible.. but innocent.

this is more sinister

http://www.alternet.org/files/goldman_sachs.jpg

Goldman sachs fail to tell you in that advert that they are the number 1 company to foreclose on housing in black areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A good product markets itself

100% agree.

ive always believed that if they need to stuff it down my throat on tv, then i most likely dont need it in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I work in marketing and as a previous poster said, everything is done to generate revenue as that is the entire point of a company.

The bottom line is that a lot of people like to be led whether they know it or not. There are so many forms of marketing its actually quite scary. From product placement to guerrilla marketing to word of mouth to social media and celebrity tweets, its all marketing. Companies who ignore marketing are destined to fail because the bottom line is there is no product without customers and there are no customers without awareness.

Some marketing is blatant such as what the OP describes, others much more subtle, its all depends on budgets, audience, timeline and what ROI you are aiming for.

Some campaigns are fascinating, look up De Beers and diamonds, McDonalds and their use of playgrounds, Hallmark and Valentines day... these are companies that play the long game and have reaped the results.

RoboRat wrote: »
    McDonalds and their use of playgrounds.

McLibel is a great documentary from the 80/90s thats centered around mcdonald's marketing campaigns towards kids (amongst other things).

Which is still marketing. But, if you want growth and investment you need to invest in marketing... growth and investment are the lifeblood of a company and product.

Take for example a company develops a revolutionary product. They are first to the market but the idea is not patentable or even if it was, a patent is only as good as how much you are willing to invest in defending it. So, they go down the route of not investing in marketing and letting the product grow organically. If it starts getting attention, it won't be long until a big business picks it up and does it themselves. The can do it cheaper as they have the means to mass produce and they will also market it. Its not long before they eclipse the original and become associated with the original product themselves.

This is also not taking into account retailers who want their cut if they are to sell the product, some even require you to pay them to put it in a good position in their store (which is very important for the product to be seen and in turn bought). You now have to factor in margins and if you add a distributor to the mix, you get even less. You also need to factor in returns, logistics, faulty products and other such expenses into your cut. So, now you can see how reducing the cost of production is essential to having a successful product and this can only be done by mass production which can only be facilitated by mass demand.

I am not saying this is across the board, a plumber can operate without these restrictions but if there is demand, then its not long until another plumber comes along and does it cheaper. The same can be said for nightclubs, you know when you see the huge queue outside, thats marketing - the club might only be half full but they will keep a queue outside to get attention. Ever wonder why the back of a pub is cordoned off for no reason? Marketing again, if everybody is towards the entrance then when somebody looks in, the place looks busy, when the crowd picks up, they lift to cordon... job done.

Marketing is everywhere and a company who ignores it, does so at their peril.

Why would you bother spending a fortune trying to make a product fantastic and possibly/ probably not succeed when you can just convince people with some clever marketing that they can't do without your mediocre product???

Do you honestly think that companies would ditch a product just because it might not be good enough:eek:

McLibel is a great documentary from the 80/90s thats centered around mcdonald's marketing campaigns towards kids (amongst other things).

So is fast food nation, well worth a read. There are a lot of marketing campaigns and practices that are so wrong and I would not be associated with them. I watched a program on dispatches about using games to target kids and it was shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ok, thats terrible.. but innocent.

this is more sinister

http://www.alternet.org/files/goldman_sachs.jpg

Goldman sachs fail to tell you in that advert that they are the number 1 company to foreclose on housing in black areas.

That's not sinister. Just because they're no1 to foreclose on houses in black areas doesn't mean that what they're doing in under developed countries is bad, or that it should be dismissed.

If you want sinister then look at any Irish bank advertisement for mortgages: "90% approval in principle rate" etc - This in no way means that you're approved and it's a bad mark on your credit rating if you don't actually get approved.

Or look at any pay day loans ad. They have ads with people happy to receive £100 but the APR is upwards of circa 4000%

Advertisement