Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds, heavy rains, high seas Monday night into Tuesday 20/21st Oct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

More or less calm now again. Was short & sweet and I hope just a very small teaser for the violently stormy winter ahead. :p

Satellite taken at 11 50 pm. Low just off NW coast:
    325928.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

yep defo, stormy conditions have set in now in Castlebar. from the north west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wind seems to have turned the corner, south to west (Waterford).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The wind seems to have died down a little in Galway but I expect it will pick up again overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

was that it???? meh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Winds turned round to the north west in Achill too. Seems more blustery now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Strongest gust on the 0000 reports is 49kts at Sherkin islands with a pressure of 988hpa at Malin Head. will begin to rise soon. (Kinsale had a gust of 55kts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Tomorrow on the east coast looks set to be a blaster, 82 km/h with gusts of 100km/h. It might weaken by then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

1. nullschool's live wind shows it still mostly out west at midnight on the way in...
    weather_nullschool.png
    2. netweather's radar shows clear for West, with recent band moving off to East
    weather_radar.png
    3. netweather's jetstream indicates peak winds for 9am Tue rush hour
    weather_9am.png

Maybe take it more handy in the morning than usual in that case if peak is 09:00 instead of 04:00...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Doesn't sound too bad outside near Limerick City. I am supposed to be taking off at Shannon airport for Malaga Spain in the morning. I"m hoping it won't be too stormy then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

wind sounds quite strong now has been building for a while. ..location: outside Tipperary Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Some flights and ferries cancelled... http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/flights-and-ferries-cancelled-as-hurricane-hits-ireland-30680082.html

Heathrow has confirmed that 10pc of flights with the 20 biggest carriers into and out of the London airport would be cancelled, as the remnants of Hurricane Gonzalo arrive in the UK.

Aer Lingus flights affected are EI 158 and EI 159, and EI 168 and EI 169.

Elsewhere Irish Ferries has also cancelled its high speed HSC Jonathan Swift sailings between Dublin and Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

some very strong gusts now, looked on a site there and it said the mean wind speed here is about 54 km/h... gusts must be at 90-100.. it def feels like it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Wind is really howling in Achill now. I'm surprised we still have power.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's lashing and howling out there in Dublin. Always seems worse when it's dark outside!

The howling woke me up, so I'm downstairs having a cup of tea, so of course I had to see what the rest of you are experiencing!

Hope everyone will be safe. It probably won't be too bad after all here in Dublin, but who knows really?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'll keep up OB's reports on max wind gusts each hour ...

at 0100h (which is 00z) Mace Head was 39 kts G 54 kts

Newport was gusting to 52 kts and Sherkin was 50 kts, the M4 buoy had picked up also to 51 kts while Kinsale was reaching 59 kts (at elevation).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Heavy winds where I am in Carlow right now. Some showers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Strongest gusts of the night so far in Castlebar, a few have sounded like a jet engine, storms are always more fun on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Wind has just in the last half hour swung to the north west and have just had a high gust of 41.2 mph, gusts getting more frequent, nothing out of the ordinary for here as yet.
    S.E Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

wind gusts of over 45 knots here in sligo

50 to 55 knot gusts in the West and North at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

On citylink from dublin to galway, the doubledecker...jaysas it feels like its gonna topple with gusts
    Fair play to driver for his piloting in this weather. At loughrea turnoff at 2:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mean wind speed of 43 knots at Finner Camp in Donegal on 2am met reports. That equates to a full gale 9, with gust speed reaching 54 kt.

New Moon

Finner and Mace Head have eased slightly (gusts to 50, 52 kts at 0300h)

Newport had gusts to 56 kts past hour.

Malin Head now leads with the 03h (02z) report NW 44 kts g 60 kts.

The strongest gust so far in the east was 47 knots at Casement at 02h.

Malin (56), Mace (49), Newport (48) and Finner (47) all a bit lower this hour
    (04h, 03z).

Casement has reached the 50 kt gust club. Roches Point (48).

More widespread squally showers now on radar in the colder westerly flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Some wet hail in the showers now, 6.0C out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Dublin 9: sounds to be somewhat of a lull atm and I don't think we are having the rain we had earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

radar looks messy... i haven't seen showers all equally the same intensity like that before... they're all heavyish.

After backing off a few knots at 05h and 06h, peak gusts are now back up to their highest levels of the storm at Malin Head (62kts) while Finner is back up to 53 kts. Otherwise the usual windy spots are in the high 40s at this hour.

Some hefty showers in the central counties moving southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

A small breeze here in cork City suburbs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dead calm in athlone. You wouldnt think we had anything last night :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement