Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas party is no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

morrga wrote: »
    "How can people ruin a religious event?" By asking us to stop celebrating.
    No-one's asking you not to celebrate your religious event, just to call the mid-winter party (which has been going on for millennia before Christianity was ever dreamed up) something more inclusive. Just about all cultures have a mid-winter festival so what's the problem with choosing a neutral name so that no-one feels that their culture is being put below someone else's?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

"They took our jawbs".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

kylith wrote: »
    So I should put up and shut up and pretend to be Catholic, should I?

The idea that the wishes of the majority rule is an erroneous one, and one that is dangerous to any majority groups - if a majority voted that votes for women be repealed would you support it because it's 'democracy'?

Constitutions and Bills of Rights are put in place to insure against the tyranny of the masses (also known as mob rule). The idea of democracy that you have is, to quote Benjamin Franklin, two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

You don't have to pretend to be anything. You just have to respect the choices of others.

Thankfully we live in a society where your ludicrous examples belong to an era where crazy people like you ruled our land.

Supporting and respecting are two different words. I suggest to respect the beliefs of majority not to support it.

If the majority of soceity decided to repel female votes I'm sure a party would be formed to over throw it through the democratic process we have in place. Thankfully our ancestors have already competed that process on our behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Holidays party just doesn't have the same ring to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

morrga wrote: »
    You don't have to pretend to be anything. You just have to respect the choices of others.

Thankfully we live in a society where your ludicrous examples belong to an era where crazy people like you ruled our land.

Supporting and respecting are two different words. I suggest to respect the beliefs of majority not to support it.

If the majority of soceity decided to repel female votes I'm sure a party would be formed to over throw it through the democratic process we have in place. Thankfully our ancestors have already competed that process on our behalf.

What crazy people like me?

I do respect your right to celebrate whatever religion and religious festivals you want, which is why I'd never call for a religion to be banned. I just don't see why a workplace winter party can't be called the Holiday party or the Annual Piss Up instead of the RELIGION Party, so that everyone of all religions and none feel welcome and catered for. It's not even like I've ever seen any religious iconography at one of these parties, or heard a mass at one, or have seen any indication of any aspect of Christianity at all at one (Other than people saying 'Jesus, I'm so drunk'), so why bother with the clearly unnecessary religious name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So why put it there in the first place?
    Surely our underfunded hospitals should not be wasting time and money on religious decorations.

Getting upset by largely inoffensive religious iconography - an attribute of 16th century puritans, the Taliban and liberal Irish secularists.

What crazy people like me?

I do respect your right to celebrate whatever religion and religious festivals you want, which is why I'd never call for a religion to be banned. I just don't see why a workplace winter party can't be called the Holiday party or the Annual Piss Up instead of the RELIGION Party, so that everyone of all religions and none feel welcome and catered for. It's not even like I've ever seen any religious iconography at one of these parties, or heard a mass at one, or have seen any indication of any aspect of Christianity at all at one (Other than people saying 'Jesus, I'm so drunk'), so why bother with the clearly unnecessary religious name?

Its also been celebrated for a few millennia. The fact that the term annoys the puritan bores of the modern new atheism is all the more reason to celebrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Its also been celebrated for a few millennia. The fact that the term annoys the puritan bores of the modern new atheism is all the more reason to celebrate it.

Calling people who don't wish to have others religious festivities thrust upon them are not bores..... Neither are they the Taliban or 16th century puritans.

The baby Jesus & his lieutenant, Santa Claus are disappointed by your lack of civility!

Calling people who don't wish to have others religious festivities thrust upon them are not bores..... Neither are they the Taliban or 16th century puritans.

The baby Jesus & his lieutenant, Santa Claus are disapointo by your lack of civility!

Its a piss up. It is not a mass. The piss up is not a religious event. It is named after the celebration which is mostly non-religious these days, but is clearly called Christmas. Not Winter Holiday. There is no significant festival celebrated at the same time.

I would urge anybody who is offended by a Christmas party to also be offended by Christmas and to not take it off.

I would urge anybody who is offended by a Christmas party to also be offended by Christmas and to not take it off.

Grand.... I don't get Christmas off!

• Advertisement

No-one's asking you not to celebrate your religious event, just to call the mid-winter party (which has been going on for millennia before Christianity was ever dreamed up) something more inclusive. Just about all cultures have a mid-winter festival so what's the problem with choosing a neutral name so that no-one feels that their culture is being put below someone else's?

There isn't much evidence of pre-Christian celtic celebration at mid winter. Far more evidence for Halloween, the start, not the mid of seasons is the historic major celtic celebrations. Not that these celebrations aren't also religious and would no doubt upset someone somewhere.

Grand.... I don't get Christmas off!

Good, a nice bit of consistency. You should however campaign that nobody should. Very publicly and loudly.

Good, a nice bit of consistency. You should however campaign that nobody should. Very publicly and loudly.

No..... Not being part of the Taliban (as you assume us atheists are.....which is odd) I'm happy for people to do whatever they want privately & I don't force my will upon others..... you should try it Frankie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

realies wrote: »
    Have a thanks given one instead

A what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I made a guide for celebrating Christmas as an atheist and have now updated it for any non Christians.

Step 1: Prepare for Christmas as the Christians do. You can replace the star/angel with any icon of your choice from he-man to batman.

Step 2: Instead of going to mass do something you want to do.

There you go. You have now celebrated Christmas without the Christian parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I love the old 'come over to our country so they should respect our traditions' crap that is wheeled out whenever there is a religious debate. I know plenty of Muslims who love the Christmas season as much as we do and integrate into the community, in fact, I can say hand on heart that I know of no Muslim who takes an issue to it and I know plenty of Muslims.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, there are always going to be fanatical attention whores from every religion but there are far more troublemaking fantasists who make **** up about other religions because they heard something somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I made a guide for celebrating Christmas as an atheist and have now updated it for any non Christians.

Step 1: Prepare for Christmas as the Christians do. You can replace the star/angel with any icon of your choice from he-man to batman.

Step 2: Instead of going to mass do something you want to do.

There you go. You have now celebrated Christmas without the Christian parts.
    We have a christmas hedgehog on our tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Don't talk to me about Christmas parties, completely nuisance! Last one I was at was my wives office party. Half the people were píssed, i didn't know anyone there, posh music, pretenious food, I was completely underdressed and had to make small talk with her sleazy colleagues.

Then these foreigners lads gatecrashed the party and started making an awful racket. I didnt see herself for half the night. I even stepped on glass. I ended the night by throwing one of the Foreign lads out of a window. Talk about an ordeal.

RoboRat wrote: »
    I love the old 'come over to our country so they should respect our traditions' crap that is wheeled out whenever there is a religious debate. I know plenty of Muslims who love the Christmas season as much as we do and integrate into the community, in fact, I can say hand on heart that I know of no Muslim who takes an issue to it and I know plenty of Muslims.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, there are always going to be fanatical attention whores from every religion but there are far more troublemaking fantasists who make **** up about other religions because they heard something somewhere.

Thats a cool anecdote. Nothing to do with the corporate american claptrap discussed here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I worked for a multinational before who referred to Christmas holidays as the "holiday season" or something but you know....a free bar by any other name.... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Happy generic winter party just dosnt have the same ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

How about holiday party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Last year there were two Muslim doctors in the local hospital who objected to having the nativity crib in the hospital foyer and asked to have it removed.

I respect everyone's religious beliefs etc. but see if you or I tried the same thing on in certain muslim countries, we would be told where to go, in no uncertain terms.

Wheres the local hospital? Lettkenny wasit? If you're referring to LK i Think you're making this up.

But I know what you mean. My oul pair wanted to baptise my younger brother, which they did, but then when they went to the doctor (Who was a big angry scary muslim) he said he wouldn't treat my brother because he wasn't muslim, then he tried to eat my brother, luckily my parents had their silver bullets and crucifix stakes at hand or they wouldn't have gotten out of there alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Thats a cool anecdote. Nothing to do with the corporate american claptrap discussed here..

I was posting in reply to such comments as this which are on this thread:
    Last year there were two Muslim doctors in the local hospital who objected to having the nativity crib in the hospital foyer and asked to have it removed.

I respect everyone's religious beliefs etc. but see if you or I tried the same thing on in certain muslim countries, we would be told where to go, in no uncertain terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I ended the night by throwing one of the Foreign lads out of a window. Talk about an ordeal.

lol. What?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It does seem to rather faddish to use the general irreligious to clamp down on traditional events. Rather like the Puritans except without their fashion sense, or any sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I wouldn't give a fuk, it's "merry christmas" to everyone. I don't know anyone who celebrates christmas for religious reasons, and I know a couple of non-catholics. (Hindu's ) who celebrate christmas because eating food, parting and getting gifts is fun, no matter the religion >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

The right thing for the wrong reason.
    Leave the religious kitsch in the church.

As for the name, who cares. But considering what's going on there, it should be the Christians protesting against the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

tell head office that a notice is going up saying all the catholics are funding their own catholic christmas party, then stand back and wait for the sh1t to fly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP call it Fingerbang.

Everyone likes being fingerbanged

Advertisement