Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas party is no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Kris Kringle is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nodin wrote: »
    He didn't give it that much thought when he was making up his story.

Why would he bother? How very pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Now I'm no religionologist but I thought this Christmas lark might have spread further than the Catholic church.

Still though - at least you get to have a party and let's face it - ye don't really care what the f*ck it's called as long as you can get rat-arsed and try to get off with Sharon from accounts.

My boss, who is also my landlady and my grandmother said I wasn't allowed one this year because she can still see the stains after the 'incident'.

:mad:

I was like, 'yeah, yeah' until the final paragraph... wtf? That's very unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I dont believe you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I dont believe you OP

No Santa for you this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

wexie wrote: »
    Maybe you should try calling it the Winter Solstice Party

Or WSP for short, multinational corporate cultures love their acronyms

Winter Annual Solstice Party, WASP for short?

That's bound to go down well...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Strugging to be outraged by this....

Nope it just isn't happening sorry OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A christmas thread in October?

nice one OP

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Last year there were two Muslim doctors in the local hospital who objected to having the nativity crib in the hospital foyer and asked to have it removed.

I respect everyone's religious beliefs etc. but see if you or I tried the same thing on in certain muslim countries, we would be told where to go, in no uncertain terms.

Exactly. It's this hypocritical behaviour that is infuriating.

Forget the religious aspects of this arguement.

It simply boils down to respecting the wishes of the country you choose to live in. Yes, it's a choice to live here. So jog on home if these people have an issue with how we like to celebrate anything at any time of year.

Or else put up and shut up and respect that other people choose to live an Irish life in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

morrga wrote: »
    Forget the religious aspects of this arguement.

It simply boils down to respecting the wishes of the country you choose to live in. Yes, it's a choice to live here. So jog on home if these people have an issue with how we like to celebrate anything at any time of year.

Or else put up and shut up and respect that other people choose to live an Irish life in Ireland.

I'm Irish and I don't need to celebrate Christmas, so shut up and respect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Specialun wrote: »
    Has anyone had this before..is it pc gone mad

Yep, two years ago about a week before the party it was cancelled for the same reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ah that wondrous time of year when we all gather to agree that it's silly to consider Christmas a Christian holiday anymore but rather a cultural one; And then without a hint of irony a subset of Christians start asking Atheists why they still celebrate Christmas.

Last year there were two Muslim doctors in the local hospital who objected to having the nativity crib in the hospital foyer and asked to have it removed.

I respect everyone's religious beliefs etc. but see if you or I tried the same thing on in certain muslim countries, we would be told where to go, in no uncertain terms.

What the fúck reason has religious iconography of any kind got doing in a state hospital foyer?

People of all religions and none who are sick and dying visit these places so why should one particular cult be favoured over any other?

I'm Irish and I don't need to celebrate Christmas, so shut up and respect me.

LOL, bit grumpy for a Monday are we! Don't worry. You are respected. No one is forcing you to celebrate Christmas and your freedom of choice is to be admired.

The opinion here is respect the choice of others and we respect yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If they don't respect our wish to celebrate Christmas, they can go back to where they are from or don't bother attending.

Hate how other groups think we must adopt to their beliefs and we are offending them otherwise. If we go to live in their country would we tell them to stop their beliefs and culture because we don't like it!! No.

These cretins are the ruination of this world.
    I was born in Ireland and I don't celebrate Christmas. Where should I f'k off to?
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ah that wondrous time of year when we all gather to agree that it's silly to consider Christmas a Christian holiday anymore but rather a cultural one; And then without a hint of irony a subset of Christians start asking Atheists why they still celebrate Christmas.
    I tell them I don't, I celebrate the solstice. Then I give them a 2 hour Powerpoint lecture on pre-Christian Ireland and its traditions. It's a pretty safe way of ensuring that they never ask me again.

LOL, bit grumpy for a Monday are we! Don't worry. You are respected. No one is forcing you to celebrate Christmas and your freedom of choice is to be admired.

The opinion here is respect the choice of others and we respect yours.

Im not grumpy, my choice of wording was restricted because I paraphrased your post which I quoted.
    You started the "put up or shut up" line so who is grumpy on a monday?

kylith wrote: »
    I was born in Ireland and I don't celebrate Christmas. Where should I f'k off to?

I tell them I don't, I celebrate the solstice. Then I give them a 2 hour Powerpoint lecture on pre-Christian Ireland and its traditions. It's a pretty safe way of ensuring that they never ask me again.

Unfortunately as an Irish person you were born into a democratic soceity whereby the wishes of the majority rules.

If this really bothers you I suggest you create a political party to rule the country otherwise you will have to respect the choice of your fellow country people as we will respect yours not to celebrate it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Deck the Halls with Bows of 'a soft generic substance which in no way refers to any form of religious holiday, and has passed all stringent EHS tests and is suitable for accidental consumption' fa la la la laa.

Im not grumpy, my choice of wording was restricted because I paraphrased your post which I quoted.
    You started the "put up or shut up" line so who is grumpy on a monday?

It's a figure of speech to hammer home the point to respect the culture of the country you live in, so apologies if you deemed it grumpy. I like my Monday's.

I have seen these groups ruin Christmas in Australia so my frustration is towards those who cannot accept the opinions and beliefs a majority in a democratic society choose.

• Advertisement

It's a figure of speech to hammer home the point to respect the culture of the country you live in, so apologies if you deemed it grumpy. I like my Monday's.

I have seen these groups ruin Christmas in Australia so my frustration is towards those who cannot accept the opinions and beliefs a majority in a democratic society choose.

Ok so back to my original point I'm irish and christmas is not my culture so what about respect for me and all the other Irish who are non religious or non christian?

How can people ruin a religious event?
    Do they go to the homes of christians and burn them or protest them?
    Do they have public effigies of the the christ character?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ok so back to my original point I'm irish and christmas is not my culture so what about respect for me and all the other Irish who are non religious or non christian?

Em, dont turn up to the party then!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When you work in a non irish MN company surely you have to work by their rules.
    Rename the party as others have suggested and see if that floats their boat.
    But Jesus it's a real irish thing to moan about the company not giving free money for a piss up.

It's their ball so play by their rules.

We do respect your choice to choose not to celebrate. You are not dragged from your home are you and forced to celebrates? Unfortunately it's a democratic society so most will choose to celebrate. We should just respect each other's viewpoint and I accept your choice not to celebrate. Just don't interfere with those who do want to celebrate.

"How can people ruin a religious event?" By asking us to stop celebrating.
    "Do they go to the homes of christians and burn them or protest them?" No, see above.
    "Do they have public effigies of the the christ character?" No

listermint wrote: »
    Em, dont turn up to the party then!

What about religious iconography being displayed in public locations such as a hospital foyer?

Should I just not go to hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What about religious iconography being displayed in public locations such as a hospital foyer?

Should I just not go to hospital?

I'd say if you were proper sick you wouldn't give a **** what was on the walls as long as you were being looked after. Real first world problem there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

I would like to celebrate and have a Christmas Party on the Christmas Day.

Otherwise for me this day not looks as a day of happiness, fun and joy, laugh and smiles.

Christmas Party week or more in advance? is it a joke? Looks like a summer holidays in February undder the cold rain. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Specialun wrote: »
    Soooo im on the social board at work which organises the work parties and all that craic. We submitted out christmas party idea to our global parent company

They have come back to us and said we cant call it christmas party anymore because its not christmas to everyone and not everyone in the company is irish catholic

Has anyone had this before..is it pc gone mad
    as long they're funding it i'd roll with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Unfortunately as an Irish person you were born into a democratic soceity whereby the wishes of the majority rules.
    So I should put up and shut up and pretend to be Catholic, should I?

The idea that the wishes of the majority rule is an erroneous one, and one that is dangerous to any majority groups - if a majority voted that votes for women be repealed would you support it because it's 'democracy'?

Constitutions and Bills of Rights are put in place to insure against the tyranny of the masses (also known as mob rule). The idea of democracy that you have is, to quote Benjamin Franklin, two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I'd say if you were proper sick you wouldn't give a **** what was on the walls as long as you were being looked after. Real first world problem there !!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So why put it there in the first place?
    Surely our underfunded hospitals should not be wasting time and money on religious decorations.

Advertisement