Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas party is no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jaysus, I wonder what the window display in Brown Thomas looked like 2000 years ago?

Shows what you know - it was Switzer's back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Specialun wrote: »
    They dont mind the party going ahead.....just not for it to be known as a christmas party

What's the name of the company? If its a multinational, they won't be able to guess who you are IRL - far too many staff.

They dont mind the party going ahead.....just not for it to be known as a christmas party

Well then, so what? You're getting your party and everyones included.

Does it matter that much to anyone that Party is preceded by Christmas? Is anyone asking where the Christ is in Christmas party or is this all just a reason to get annoyed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you get free gargle who cares what they call it?

Ammint I rightsh?

Whose whish me ladses?

*raises pint*

*falls off stool*

*soils Santa outfit*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Maybe you should try calling it the Winter Solstice Party

Or WSP for short, multinational corporate cultures love their acronyms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Candie wrote: »
    Well then, so what? You're getting your party and everyones included.

Does it matter that much to anyone that Party is preceded by Christmas? Is anyone asking where the Christ is in Christmas party or is this all just a reason to get annoyed?

You what now..who said anything about being annoyed..i just asked a question...

You what now..who said anything about being annoyed..i just asked a question...

Ok then, assuming not everyone is Irish Catholic and since you're still getting your party then I'm going to go with...no. It's not PC gone made, it's just a rebrand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Holiday Rapist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Last year there were two Muslim doctors in the local hospital who objected to having the nativity crib in the hospital foyer and asked to have it removed.

I respect everyone's religious beliefs etc. but see if you or I tried the same thing on in certain muslim countries, we would be told where to go, in no uncertain terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Last year there were two Muslim doctors in the local hospital who objected to having the nativity crib in the hospital foyer and asked to have it removed.

I respect everyone's religious beliefs etc. but see if you or I tried the same thing on in certain muslim countries, we would be told where to go, in no uncertain terms.

having the nativity crib removed?

(just messing, you're absolutely right though, in the simplest of terms : my ball, my ****ing rules :mad: and, to be fair, I think many Muslims would be embarrassed by that kind of nonsense, certainly the ones I know have much more of a live and let live attitude)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Jaysus - have we been celebrating Christmas for 2000 years in Ireland?

We must have invented it!

Yeah, we had baby Jesus over to celebrate the first one as there was a hit out on him in judea. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It's Festivus for the rest of us!

Im offended, it is Annual Gift Giving Day

What was the name of the hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Madness. Especially as many Irish hospitals actually have a religious ethos!

On the other hand, I worked with A number of Iranians who had no objections to the Christmas party, gave everyone Christmas cards and joined in celebrating Christmas with us. They - like the majority of non-religious ethnically Irish people - could see that really the holiday is far more cultural than specifically religious.

Also, in Ireland, Christmas is listed as a national public holiday. Are the parent company going to refuse to allow celebration of an official public holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nodin wrote: »

St muhammads

Think its a Jewish hospital.

We are a Repulic not a Christian country

efb wrote: »
    We are a Repulic not a Christian country

yes I agree with, but at the same time you do know where Im coming from.. general consensus and all of that.

yes I agree with, but at the same time you do know where Im coming from.. general consensus and all of that.

They built a brand new hospital in tullamore and they are already putting religious crap everywhere

The Church didn't psy for it, keep your stuff in the chapel

It never happened, as far as I can tell. Unless you've evidence denied the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What's Christmas got to do with Catholicism?

I think the OP meant to say alcoholism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

"I can't beleive its not the office christmas Party" or "Christmassy Whistmassy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Nodin wrote: »

John?

John?

St Ficktion's I think.

wexie wrote: »
    having the nativity crib removed?

(just messing, you're absolutely right though, in the simplest of terms : my ball, my ****ing rules :mad: and, to be fair, I think many Muslims would be embarrassed by that kind of nonsense, certainly the ones I know have much more of a live and let live attitude)

I am not a 'foaming at the mouth' christian RC etc.... far from it. I check in to church every christmas to keep the misuss happy. But my thoughts on this particular issue are, if I landed a job in Saudi Arabia, I would not start demanding that my fellow employees abstain from public displays of their love of gd, because it went against my religious ethos.

I am not a 'foaming at the mouth' christian RC etc.... far from it. I check in to church every christmas to keep the misuss happy. But my thoughts on this particular issue are, if I landed a job in Saudi Arabia, I would not start demanding that my fellow employees abstain from public displays of their love of gd, because it went against my religious ethos.

Also, You might avoid going on Saudi message boards saying two catholic doctors asked for quotes from the Koran to be removed from the local hospital with no evidence whatsoever...helps with community relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

While true I also don't think such countries views are something we should seek to mimic. We look down on such thing so can hardly do it ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Your some social board! Have the party anyway, just whisper if you have to mention anything Christmas related or whatever the bosses think Christmas is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Had a christmas tree in work, that was fine. But the star on top had to be removed. That was the offensive bit

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If it was me I'd probably email back thanking them for funding the party and making whatever arrangements are necessary. But at the end I'd mention that I'm not a Catholic, nor any other sort of Christian for that matter, but that in Ireland we have a national public holiday called Christmas and that was why I used the term Christmas. If the company still prefers not to call the party after the national holiday of the country the party will be in, that's their prerogative but my choice of name had nothing to do with religion.

That won't work so well if you are a Christian though as that would be lying and you'd hardly want poor baby Jesus to cry on his birthday. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Soooo im on the social board at work which organises the work parties and all that craic. We submitted out christmas party idea to our global parent company

They have come back to us and said we cant call it christmas party anymore because its not christmas to everyone and not everyone in the company is irish catholic

Has anyone had this before..is it pc gone mad
    You need to contact the Parish Priest.

Advertisement