Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of people intrigue you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

eamonnq wrote: »
    People who spell intrigued with a q !

Idiots you mean?

It's Monday morning, I knew it looked wrong but I couldn't be arsed changing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Morning people. How can they be so happy to be up at 7am? Boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Idiots you mean?

It's Monday morning, I knew it looked wrong but I couldn't be arsed changing it!

No, not idiots. People who know things look wrong and couldn't be arsed changing them. :D

Intriqued looks better than Intrigued too, more intriqing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The barman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Those people who sell all their stuff, buy a Motor Home, and go to live on the road in the US travelling from state to state stopping off in RV parks for a few months at a time. Fascinating.

I would loooooove to do that.

I would loooooove to do that too! Shes a gorgeous brunette stunner in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I do find some people fascinating and want to know everything about them, what makes them tic. I'm not sure I've noticed a patter to it, there are just certain people I'm drawn to.

Moreover, I'm really fascinated by people generally. In particular, what people say vs. what they do. So, people who cheat for example. Or recently there was someone in work complaining about someone else taking credit for their work; but I have heard the same complaint made about them. People who are incredibly unpopular but think they're popular or people who act in a way that annoys everyone but still manage to get everyone's support. I find all these blind spots, the hypocrisy and the cognitive dissonance endlessly fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I'm fascinated by psychopaths, both the successful and murderous types, and their thought processes. I haven't met any in real life but I'd love to.

+1

I'd love to understand what drives the murderous types to do what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Fart faces.....beautiful women who look like they have just smelt a rotten fart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Tbh, like Earthhorse above, just people in general. Just gone back to university to study psychology for that very reason.

Actually, people who have zero interest in other people in any way shape or form fascinate me. Very self-absorbed people whose eyes glaze over when someone else talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Actually, people who have zero interest in other people in any way shape or form fascinate me. Very self-absorbed people whose eyes glaze over when someone else talks.

That might be me, except I am not even interested in myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

dee_mc wrote: »
    Well yes, of course he could have, but the question was 'what type of people do you find intriguing' - I'm intrigued by the many possibilities of how a simpleton like the guy I mentioned managed to obtain a passport, never mind how he earned/won/inherited the money that paid for his trip!
    I had a customer a few years ago who queried the price of the items he was buying - hundreds of euro worth of stuff, he felt it should have cost much more so checked I hadn't made a mistake - anyway, once he realised he was wrong he said 'yeah I'm not great with money, the only reason I have any is that my grandfather invented something you use every day'... I still wonder what he invented!

eamonnq wrote: »
    That might be me, except I am not even interested in myself!!

Well that it isn't really you then, is it!

Calibos wrote: »
    I would loooooove to do that too! Shes a gorgeous brunette stunner in my book.

She's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Non-native speakers who are more fluent in english than me. They often have a 3rd, 4th or 5th language up their sleeve too. I used to work in a multinational call centre and the level of english displayed by some really put my terrible irish and german to shame.

There is an eastern european cleaner in my place and I have no idea how many languages he speaks. I've heard him speaking Russian to Russians, Ukrainian to Ukrainians, Polish to Polish, Czech to Czech, Italian to Italians and many more. I asked him how many languages he speaks and he said "I don't know. I know a bit about everything, but I can't write for sh1t".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

IrishAlice wrote: »
    +1

I'd love to understand what drives the murderous types to do what they do.

They dont have empathy with other people. They dont have emotional intelligence. Therefore, killing people does not bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I don't know how this makes me sound but psychopaths really intrigue me. Reading about people like Jeffrey Dahmer or that long pig fella can be very disturbing but when all is said and done, they're people too.

Having said that, I've no sympathy for them whatsoever. What they've done (or planned to do) are horrific and in most cases I reckon a life sentence is too kind for them. It's really how they got to be how they ended up being that interests me. The journey, not the destination...

Plus, if we can study psychopaths we can hopefully find some way to prevent the abominable things that humans do to each other. Or maybe psychopathy is just a part humanity that some people handle better than others..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Some people are just born that way. There's not really much that can be done about it.

Some people thought therapy might be an an answer, or cure, but then many discovered that the more cunning just learned to say what the therapists wanted to hear and in turn this made them even more dangerous in terms of them learning what would make people more at ease - almost off rota. They can then better mask their true selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Some people are just born that way. There's not really much that can be done about it.

Some people thought therapy might be an an answer, or cure, but then many discovered that the more cunning just learned to say what the therapists wanted to hear and in turn this made them even more dangerous in terms of them learning what would make people more at ease - almost off rota. They can then better mask their true selves.

I heard something similar on the Sopranos and I looked it up, it's true. Some psychopaths, sociopaths and people with borderline personalities actually use therapy to 'hone their skills' in the same way a drug addict will always get what they want from a doctor. Consciously or subconsciously, they manipulate therapists to "practice" how far they can push someone, knowing that there won't be any real consequences. That to me is absolutely fascinating..

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Female truck drivers - im really intrigued by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

She's beautiful.

She's pretty and intriguing, a delightful combination. :)

• Advertisement

Karl Stein wrote: »
    She's pretty and intriguing, a delightful combination. :)

Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

-People who smile when they meet you. The kind of smile that shows warmth, like you're their good friend from long ago, and this is the first time you've met in years.

-People who are unique in some shape or form, but they are confident in their uniqueness. They know they are different, and are proud to show it without making it their only feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

Wouldn't go so far as to say intrigued, but there is one guy I know I genuinely don't get. He alternates between nice and nasty every time he meets you. Literally every second time. It's not my imagination, other people have had the same experience. I have seen the same behaviour once before from a girl and didn't get it then either. Do they just enjoy messing with people. We're friends, no we're not, yes we are, no we're not ... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wouldn't go so far as to say intrigued, but there is one guy I know I genuinely don't get. He alternates between nice and nasty every time he meets you. Literally every second time. It's not my imagination, other people have had the same experience. I have seen the same behaviour once before from a girl and didn't get it then either. Do they just enjoy messing with people. We're friends, no we're not, yes we are, no we're not ... etc.
    It might be hard to ignore him, depending on your social circle. However, do not engage with/encourage him. Same goes for the girl you mentioned.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

It's the people who have an outlook on life/interpretation of the world that is so off-the-wall or radically different to mine that I struggle to see where they're coming from that I find fascinating.

There was a guy on PI recently who made a throwaway comment along the lines of 'people watch entertainment for something to aspire to.' Now, maybe he mis-stated or overstated the point he wanted to make. But imagine if he meant what he said? The only reason he can see for watching a film or programme is to see something one can aspire to. You could be talking to him at serious cross purposes if you weren't aware how he sees things. If I told him that I watch 'Geordie Shore' (I don't - honest) would he assume that I aspire to be a steroid-addled halfwit who'd get up any tangerine coloured simpleton passing for the chance to get on telly?

I have an in-law who it took me an age to work out. Any conversation I had with him would end with me coming away going 'wtf was that about?' and I could tell he was doing the same. Eventually I realised that he sees the world oddly - he sees the worst in people and always assumes the worst about their motivations - even if they're doing something altruistic they have ulterior motives. Once I worked this out it was much easier to relate to him.

Advertisement