Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do politicans get paid so much?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

evo2000 wrote: »
    Why does for example enda kenny and the likes get so much money?

Obedience. When you're a good little lap dog like Enda, the financial rewards are far reaching. But pleasing his master Angela and winning her approval, well he probably couldn't put a price on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

smash wrote: »
    God no. They spend a lot of their time perfecting their lies too.

So, what would you set the taouseach's salary at.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

So, what would you set the taouseach's salary at.

Considering his secretary, advisers, speech writers & civil service do all the work. And all he has to do is sign the odd document or two. I'd say 100k a year would be more than enough for the clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Politicians & Judiciary in Ireland are overpaid...

But it's not the salaries that are the be all and end all.

It's the pensions.

Get elected and it's a golden ticket to forever wealth. Become a Minister and you've won the Lotto many times over.....

And you don't even have to wait until u are 66 (soon to be 68) like the rest of us.

Feckin disgrace.

They prey on the dense. We've a very tough job etc. Only an idiot would believe them, but alas the country is full of such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

The Internet has provided a platform for cranks and blowhards to spew their impotent rage without fear of consequence. I'd have much more confidence in the integrity of politicians who do an extremely difficult job, as opposed to the usual 'want everything, pay for nothing' brigade.

The delusion is strong in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

The rules should be:

If you want to be a politician then you're not allowed be one. Greedy self serving gob****es! Also, teachers can't be politicians and you must be qualified in the field you are supposed to manage.

Totally this, how are they meant to manage it, if they have no real understanding/experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

The rules should be:

If you want to be a politician then you're not allowed be one. Greedy self serving gob****es! Also, teachers can't be politicians and you must be qualified in the field you are supposed to manage.

no because Politicians make policy decisions they are supposed to represent the electorate and the civil service does all the informing the politicians as to their options.

THey don't really run the country the civil service runs the country and they are supposed to represent us (which they don't).

If you can come up with a better system off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

evo2000 wrote: »
    Why does for example enda kenny and the likes get so much money? and why hasnt anything been done about it?

Em.

The pay of politicians has been reduced a lot by the government. Its completely untrue to say nothing has been done.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement