Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want a receipt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Class! Free petrol for me this evening!

Thanks for the tip!

I hope you wind up like the guy I'll never forget, that drove off and gave me the finger like a cocky prick as I spotted him doing it...

...then sheepishly came back about 10 minutes later needing assistance because he had filled his diesel car with unleaded. I swear to God it's as if he thought I wouldn't remember him since it was a busy day or something?

Got the Gards to give him a hand, alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

This whole petrol station things does my head in. Conversation usually goes like this.

Me: Just these please (Place bread and milk on counter)
    Assistant : Do you have any petrol or diesel.
    Me : dafuq. /facepalm

Not as annoying as the petrol stations that have that automated thing at the till that shouts at you. HAVE YOU GOT ANY PETROL OR DIESEL.

Bloody staff look mortified each time it roars out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I don't get the problem, it's to reduce waste, you can always ask for a receipt, you were even offered the choice, even better, what are you complaining about :confused: The word for 'receipt' was one of the first words I picked up here, no supermarket issues receipts automatically, most will ask if you want one, people are just more waste conscious, bizarre to think of people being against it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Billy86 wrote: »
    Because if you did get petrol and they didn't spot it, you can pretty much legally return to your car and drive away without paying if they failed to ask.

To the petrol station boys!

Anyway, what is the big deal in being asked if you got petrol or diesel ffs?

Do people complain if they are asked if they need a bag?

It's just shop talk, staff HAVE to ask it.

Tzardine wrote: »
    They should just bring in those Atype machines where you put your cash or card and lay beforehand. Easier for everyone involved, less theft and less queues. Petrol stations wouldn't go for them much though, since they make most of their money off the stuff in the actual shops.

By the way, you would be surprised the amount of people who HAVE got petrol go to the counter and loudly declare "this is all I have, nothing else, now just please be quick" etc etc hoping the person at the till won't ask so they can drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I hate receipts from a filling station. They just end up as clutter in the car. Only want them when expensing them so it's good they ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Receipts? Yes please.

The fancy 'toxic BPA coated receipts' everyone uses? Nope.
    Bring back the aul letterpress ink n paper tills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't want a receipt. I only wish I had use for one but I don't. I makes perfect sense to ask if you want one rather than had over unnecessary paper to add to all the litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

This ' Did you take any petrol or diesel?' question annoys me too.
    Watch the reaction when you answer 'Not at your prices!'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hitchens wrote: »
    No, just hand over the receipt, simple enough I would have thought

Environmentally friendly not to give them out unless needed, save the trees ffs :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Valetta wrote: »
    Most people don't want a receipt.

That's why they ask.

That is total irrelevant. They are obliged to provide the receipt. If the customer doesn't want it they can throw in the bin. Sick of having to ask for a receipt when i buy something, because the clerk can't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The reason a lot of places ask if people want receipts or not is due to the amount of people who just drop the receipt on the ground when they go outside if they do not want it. Cuts down on waste and littering. I don't see what the problem is to be honest with being asked. All you have to say is one word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Because if you did get petrol and they didn't spot it, you can pretty much legally return to your car and drive away without paying if they failed to ask.

How could you prove you asked or not? Are all till conversations recorded? I doubt it. If they drive away without paying they still owe you for the petrol it doesn't just become a freebie. I would guess its just that they would be less likely to be charged with theft if they entered the shop and paid for items as it demonstrates that either they genuinely forgot or you forgot to charge them.

Its not like its free petrol, mums the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Come across this a lot from shop assistants. I bought €80 of petrol this morning, goes into the shop and pays for it, the assistant rings it up and says "do you want a receipt?"

It's like they're doing you a favour.

Other than that it wasn't a bad morning :-0
    Most workers get a receipt so they can claim it back as travel expenses through work. Come out from under that stone your living under there boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Its not like its free petrol, mums the word.

No. It's a brilliant life hack for free petrol so it is.

I just tried it there.

Got 50 euro of diesel, went into the shop and bought a twix and the guy didn't ask me about the fuel. I got outside the door and jumped up and down shouting, "Wahooooo! FREE FUELL!!!"

The guy behind the counter was a bit embarrassed but he gave me that look that said, "Hey buddy, you got me! We both know the law here, you got yourself a free tank of diesel, boy is my face red!"

Good times folks. I encourage everyone to try it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Tzardine wrote: »
    This whole petrol station things does my head in. Conversation usually goes like this.

Me: Just these please (Place bread and milk on counter)
    Assistant : Do you have any petrol or diesel.
    Me : dafuq. /facepalm

Not as annoying as the petrol stations that have that automated thing at the till that shouts at you. HAVE YOU GOT ANY PETROL OR DIESEL.

If any customer said to me "just these", obviously I wouldn't have asked.

Whenever someone lifted the pump, a beeping noise used to go off on the till to let you know somebody wanted to use the pump. I grew to hate that noise. Bloody annoying also if you left the till for a moment to go to the other end of the shop and it starts beeping. You had to go running back to press the button on the till to release it, otherwise the person at the pump wouldn't be able to pump any petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Sunhill wrote: »
    This ' Did you take any petrol or diesel?' question annoys me too.
    Watch the reaction when you answer 'Not at your prices!'

Being a smart arse to a low paid retail worker. Wow, that's pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Most workers get a receipt so they can claim it back as travel expenses through work. Come out from under that stone your living under there boy.
    That's my point, the shop person wasn't going to give me a receipt........when I stood there waiting it dawned on the assistant that I probably wanted a receipt.

That old 'save the planet' or 'you might clog up your car with receipts' thing is just bullshít.

Besides the expenses, 2 other reasons for getting a receipt for petrol is:

1. Stretched petrol scam.

2. Guards pull you over after a few kilometres and say: ....."we have a complaint that you just drove away from that petrol station without paying"

You: "but I did pay, Guard"

Guard: "can you prove that, sir/madam?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Being a smart arse to a low paid retail worker. Wow, that's pleasant.

Whenever someone complained about the price I would just laugh to myself. The price was in big writing on display at the entrance to the forecourt, so customers if they wanted to, could have gone somewhere else.

The fact was though, that all the stations around the area I worked would all have similar prices, so it wasn't worth them going anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I hope you wind up like the guy I'll never forget, that drove off and gave me the finger like a cocky prick as I spotted him doing it...

...then sheepishly came back about 10 minutes later needing assistance because he had filled his diesel car with unleaded. I swear to God it's as if he thought I wouldn't remember him since it was a busy day or something?

Got the Gards to give him a hand, alright. :D

Give him a hand with what? You said nothing can be done.

I call BS on it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

I always get a receipt due to the amount of dodgy petrol/diesel in my area - shows when and where I bought my last fill - that's my logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its like "do you want a bag ?" No cos Im already living with one .

or

"Do you have anything smaller ?" Thats what she said last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

I call BS on it anyway

But, but, but it happened to a friend of a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Come across a lot of shop assistants asking me if I got any petrol or diesel when they are ringing up my stuff from the shop.

What's up with that?...If I had any I would have told you.

Other than that happening the days when it happens do be good days.
    I worked in a petrol station for a couple of years and the amount of people who need reminding is actually pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

That is total irrelevant. They are obliged to provide the receipt. If the customer doesn't want it they can throw in the bin. Sick of having to ask for a receipt when i buy something, because the clerk can't be arsed.
    Would you like fries with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I bought €80 of petrol this morning0

Jasus what are you driving? A hummer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is there any advantage ahem... tax wise to the shop/garage whatever NOT giving you a receipt?

There may very well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Don't give a rats to be honest, there is little else that bugs me more on nights out then when a bar staff hands me a useless piece of paper with my drink, and i have to scour the place for a bin, if there is one, or clog up my pockets with rolls of receipt, and the added ignomony of the reminder of how much I spent the next morning.

So i for one am glad when the clerk 'cant be arsed' to hand me a receipt.

Not according to the National Consumer Agency. Second reply here: http://www.valueireland.com/2009/06/centra-will-stop-giving-receipts-in-order-to-be-green/

"Thank you for contacting the National Consumer Agency (NCA) with your query regarding Centra.

Under current legislation a retailer does not have to provide a receipt to the consumer. Cheque stubs, credit card statements and bank statements are also accepted as proof of purchase.

You should be aware that when paying for goods by cash your receipt might be the only proof you have of when and where you purchased the goods and a business is entitled to ask for proof of purchase before providing redress.

However, if you ask for a receipt and you are not issued one, the retailer may not refuse to provide redress at a later date on the grounds that you do not have a receipt. If you are refused a receipt we suggest you write down the time, date and amount of purchase as witnessed by the retailer. It is then up to you to decide whether you wish to purchase the goods or service"

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

I call BS on it anyway
    Nope, this guy never entered the shop.

It has also been mentioned by other people who have worked in petrol stations in other threads here in the past. Do you really think the people working there ask everyone all the time, just for the craic of it all? Shops implement it in their 'scripting' that mystery shoppers etc mark on for a reason.

Advertisement