Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want a receipt?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭

Come across this a lot from shop assistants. I bought €80 of petrol this morning, goes into the shop and pays for it, the assistant rings it up and says "do you want a receipt?"

It's like they're doing you a favour.

Other than that it wasn't a bad morning :-0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Hitchens wrote: »
    Come across this a lot from shop assistants. I bought €80 of petrol this morning, goes into the shop and pays for it, the assistant rings it up and says "do you want a receipt?"

Keep the head up buddy, life is tough. We're here for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

some people need a receipt for their accounts:confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If you were getting your petrol paid for by your employer, or writing it off a business expense, and forgot to ask for a receipt, they would be doing you a big favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You poor thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

I usually only request them if im paying in Cash. If it's by card or paypal there's a record of it there for my own peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,164 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And if they didn't give you one, you'd be on here moaning about shoddy customer service not offering you a receipt...?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

And if they didn't give you one, you'd be on here moaning about shoddy customer service not offering you a receipt...?!
    No, just hand over the receipt, simple enough I would have thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The rich couple on €105,000 need them to write it off as an expense in order to stay filthy rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Come across a lot of shop assistants asking me if I got any petrol or diesel when they are ringing up my stuff from the shop.

What's up with that?...If I had any I would have told you.

Other than that happening the days when it happens do be good days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

If it's by card or paypal there's a record of it there for my own peace of mind.

Where can you pay for petrol with Paypal?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Well yeah, how are they to know you're driving a work vehicle or just filling up your own personal car.

I used to work in a petrol station and nobody would have wanted a receipt after filling up their own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Some people need them for expenses. Others like to keep them as a record to help them budget accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Come across a lot of shop assistants asking me if I got any petrol or diesel when they are ringing up my stuff from the shop.

Not everyone is as honest as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Just to clarify the OP.

I paid in cash and it was rung up and that was that except I stood there waiting and then I got the "do you want a receipt?"

Just hand over the receipt ta fúck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Most people don't want a receipt.

That's why they ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Just to clarify the OP.

I paid in cash and it was rung up and that was that except I stood there waiting and then I got the "do you want a receipt?"

I agree, it should be an automatic and you can say 'scrap the receipt'...

Same in the local spar, you have to ask for a receipt. I wouldnt mind but i never do but one time in my head i added up things and it wasn't the same so when i just asked for a receipt yer man looks at me like i've ten heads , i left the shop realised it was wrong , came back in and he knew straight away why i'd come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Just to clarify the OP.

how dare those peons ask a question of you.
    Most places I go if you pay will either ask if you want a receipt or you need to request one as they don't print a customer copy part of this is to reduce waste and littering.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Having worked previously in a petrol station that was also a small shop, no customers do not always tell you. Some customers assumed you automatically knew they had bought petrol/diesel.

It was only when you quoted the price to them (after they brought some groceries to the register, or ask for cigs etc) and then you ring it through the till, that they mentioned that they have also bought petrol/diesel.

You also get the shop assistant asking you what petrol pump number you filled up at if there are several pumps being used at the same time. This is to avoid you getting charged the wrong amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Why would you want a receipt, if not for expenses?

You were asked to pay the value of the petrol, you paid it, why would you want a receipt as a synopsis of the transaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Valetta wrote: »
    Most people don't want a receipt.

That's why they ask.

This is the reason.

A receipt for something that might be faulty or that I might return, like a TV or clothes or something

I don't need a receipt for a sandwich or petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I hate getting faulty sandwiches.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Maybe they're trying to reduce their paper usage, to save the rainforests.

For shame, OP.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Worked in a petrol station years ago and actually enjoyed it apart from some of fcukheaded customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Because if you did get petrol and they didn't spot it, you can pretty much legally return to your car and drive away without paying if they failed to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Billy86 wrote: »
    Because if you did get petrol and they didn't spot it, you can pretty much legally return to your car and drive away without paying if they failed to ask.

I don't think that's how the law works.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,164 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, just hand over the receipt, simple enough I would have thought

Dunno how many useless pieces of paper I have stuffed in my wallet when I was automatically handed back a receipt. Always nice to be asked.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't think that's how the law works.

I worked in a Statoil/Topaz for a year or so right after the economy went to the dogs. If someone fills up on petrol, then enters the shop and goes to the counter, there is very little that can be done about them driving off without paying if you fail to ask if they got petrol. The manager of the place was Estonian and the Irish laws on this drove him absolutely mad at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Billy86 wrote: »
    I worked in a Statoil/Topaz for a year or so right after the economy went to the dogs. If someone fills up on petrol, then enters the shop and goes to the counter, there is very little that can be done about them driving off without paying if you fail to ask if they got petrol. The manager of the place was Estonian and the Irish laws on this drove him absolutely mad at times.

Class! Free petrol for me this evening!

Thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

The best place I've heard this line was at my local GP.

Advertisement