Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I would feel the same about Tarantino as I do about Anderson. They have a very distinctive style and it almost doesn't matter who the characters are or what the story is. Style over substance. Bit harsh maybe but I feel like their films are full of 2D cutouts of people and there's no real connection to anything. That's just my opinion though. Other directors may have habits and styles that they revisit over and over but the content of their films vary a bit more.

I did like Fantastic Mr. Fox though, I must admit :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The distinctive style those directors employ are a big part of what makes them all great imo. Yes Anderson's movies explore a lot of similar themes and are always unmistakable as Wes Anderson movies in terms of style, but his films are also like nothing else that's out there at the moment. I'd rather he keeps doing what he's doing and to be honest if you take Moonrise Kingdom and GBH alongside eachother for example, though there's stylistic similarities they're still quite different in terms of mood and story. I would never call them style over substance though, his films always tend to be very moving for me personally.

I'm biased though, he's responsible for three or four of my all time favourite films :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Patrick Harris? Not sure how that will go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Juliane Moore does my head in, weird legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Schecter01 wrote: »
    Juliane Moore does my head in, weird legs!

Some tremendously relevant contributions on this thread. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Loved it , bought it for my collection. But to be fair Wes Anderson does not appeal to the masses on the same level as other filmmakers. To me the amount of little details and eccentricities that run through his films make it enjoyable and unique. But i understand alot of people wont understand it and just label it weird etc.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=grandbudapesthotel.htm

This was a bonafide box office success at least, which was heartening to see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What an utterly nonsensical phrase. I'll file it alongside 'mild peril'.

Nothing wrong with the phrase.
    Mediocre, although as such neutral, already has negative connotations. You can reinforce those connotations by indicating that the mediocrity in this case actually has a stronger effect than you would normally expect of mediocrity by using extremely mediocre.
    I thought 12 Years A Slave was an excellent film and deserved the win last year.

I haven't seen The Artist, but I did enjoy Argo and Birdman. I wouldn't call them mediocre by any means, but I would agree they probably won't go down in history as all time classics. Then again, nor will Around The World in 80 Days or The Greatest Show on Earth or The Last Emperor or Driving Miss Daisy. The best film of the year not winning isn't a modern phenomenon...

I thought 12 Years a Slave was like something you'd see on True Movies.
    It was a run of the mill film,well shot and well acted but the storyline was generic and as a film it wasnt memorable apart from Fassbenders antics.

Argo ,was ok too,more workmanlike than memorable.
    It was nothing special like Birdman and many other Best Picture winners.
    The Academy seems to go for very safe films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Nothing wrong with the phrase.
    Mediocre, although as such neutral, already has negative connotations. You can reinforce those connotations by indicating that the mediocrity in this case actually has a stronger effect than you would normally expect of mediocrity by using extremely mediocre.

Nah, it still sounds ridiculous.

Show me a True Movies film with cinematography, editing, score and performances as incredible as 12 Years a Slave. Again narrowing it down to "storyline" is reducing it highly as plot is just nothing but information without film makers to tell it in a powerful and interesting way. Besides there are only so many stories to tell and I think it's odd to expect film to reinvent the wheel in that regard.

Also how is Birdman safe? It's a foreign director taking a big budget chance on a highly unusual, surreal and meta script with extremely elaborate long takes, an actor who many would say is past his prime and score that consists almost entirely of somebody banging drums. Not to mention it being a big piss-take of the ego of the actor and everything that Hollywood currently stands for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

David Ehlrich summed up Grand Budapest Hotel best:

"The Grand Budapest Hotel is the film with which Wes Anderson finally answers his critics, and the message could not be clearer or more immaculately embossed in Futura on an insert shot of the most delicate stationary: “Go **** yourselves.”"

The more Wes Anderson disappears into his quirks and stylistic rabbit hole, the more I adore his films and hope he continues exploring those peculiar tonal, visual and narrative sensibilities of his in such a distinctive way (although I do see exactly why others don't like him). I do think it's unfair to say his films are basically all the same thing, though - while certainly they share many traits, he has also consistently varied and experimented with the way he delivers them. He's a director constantly evolving, albeit without surrending his own trademark style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I am mostly a fan of Anderson's style but really didn't like the Life Acquatic. I think the deadpan was getting old. Fiennes was excellent in GBH and certainly not deadpan, far from it. That made it for me.

Really should have got a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 elBootho

Some interesting results.

Birdman seems to controversial, a lot of people don't seem to get it. Citizen Four for best documentary is interesting. Saw it last week, very well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 elBootho

Some interesting results.

Birdman seems to be controversial, a lot of people don't seem to get it. Citizen Four for best documentary is interesting. Saw it last week, very well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Haven't seen it but was Selma a worthy nominee and were there any slavery points attached to it?

Haven't seen it but was Selma a worthy nominee and were there any slavery points attached to it?
    Certainly more worthy than Theory of Everything, Imitation Game and American Sniper for me.

How Imitation Game got a best director nomination is beyond me. It's arguably the blandest, most flatly shot film of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

A worthy nominee - even if it didn't portray LBJ in a fair light, which caused some controversy stateside. A century after slavery, its about the civil rights movement and how so little had changed. The Martin Luther King estate didn't authorise the use of any of MLK's speeches so that had to be worked around. This in-fighting, a late release, and an Academy spooked by the present day civil unrest didn't do it any favours.
    As a movie alone, Birdman is better. And from what I've heard, Boyhood had more going for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just saw Selma today and I think it was definitely Oscar worthy!!! Should have got nominations for best actor , director and film IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,207 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Barney's movie had heart, but 'Football In The Groin' had a football in the groin.

Barney's movie had heart, but 'Football In The Groin' had a football in the groin.

Are you saying Boo, or Boo-urns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Eddie Redmayne is the most irritating person I've seen in the public eye for many a year.

He has the prince harry type punchable face.

So odds on which actors/actresses will have some form of disability or illness in their movies to help them blag an Oscar next year?

• Advertisement

Eddie Redmayne is the most irritating person I've seen in the public eye for many a year.

So odds on which actors/actresses will have some form of disability or illness in their movies to help them blag an Oscar next year?

Redmayne is playing one of transgender/transvestite/transexual in his next film. That's the next best thing to disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Redmayne is playing one of transgender/transvestite/transexual in his next film. That's the next best thing to disease.

A transexual would be a good punt for an actor wanting an oscar next year.

Maybe make them bi-polar to seal the deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Been done too recently

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Oooooo that's interesting, I'd him down as actorleast likely to win a 2nd Oscar when he goes full Jared Let. Still want to punch him though.

^ He's playing a based on a real life person who was one of the first people to undergo sexual reassignment surgery. Directed by the guy who did What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Cider House Rules. Shoe in for a nom I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

You're not far wrong. He went to school with Prince William. Make sure not to dent your knuckles on the silver spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

the biggest surprise for me was Redmayne winning over Keaton and Birdman beating Boyhood to best picture,

i wasnt very impressed by Redmayne in The Theory of Everything, Keaton delivered a far better performance, i didnt see Foxcathcher, but Cumberbatch and even Cooper i felt delivered better performances than Redmayne, i just couldnt take to him in the film,

im delighted Birdman won, i fully expected Boyhood to win, it was a labor of love and a feat that deserved recognition, but Birdman was by and far the best film of the bunch, for me anyway,

other than that no big surprises, Moore, Arquette and Simmons were all fully deserving of their awards, probably moore being the only that you could question, but well deserved irregardless,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Redmayne was alright. But he strikes me as a right bollox. Just my opinion :p

cloud493 wrote: »
    Redmayne was alright. But he strikes me as a right bollox. Just my opinion :p

He won all the major awards in the lead up so the surprised bumbling idiot act wasn't working for me. At least Patricia Arquette didn't even pretend she wasn't prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jesus ye are harsh on a guy yeve never met

Advertisement