Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I liked Boyhood, but I thought Ellar Coltrane couldn't act. In fairness, that was hard to legislate for given the nature of the production, but it bothered me nonetheless. Also, Lorelei Linklater was woeful, god help her. What I did like about it was that nothing major happened (save one notable incident, and even that was left behind very quickly). I was worried that something tragic or momentous was going to happen, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it just play out nice and easy, with some occasional ups and downs. Just like real life, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

e_e wrote: »
    NPH was such a flat host. He looked like a deer in the headlights at times, like his teleprompter was off.

And what was with the running predictions gag? What an anti climax!
    Amazingfun wrote: »
    great idea!

Honestly, I think he'd be perfect for it. His Bruce Dern impression last year was my highlight :D

Linklater simply accepts people for who they are. I find it refreshing in an age of cynicism and 15 different levels of irony to everything.

Exactly. These slice of life films, in which nothing explodes, nobody dies, or gets arrested, or has an affair, or has huge tragedies to overcome, or saves the world are precisely the type of films I find refreshing when they come along and Linklater is a master at them.

His 'Before' trilogy is a gift to cinema and I thought Boyhood was a beautiful film. Mike Leigh, who directs the same type of films, was particularly impressed with Linklater when they were discussing their films at this year's round table.

Ah, I'm just gutted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yeah I love when movies don't get caught up with big events and bull**** plot twists and just let you observe live passing. Mr Turner had a similar leisurely and patient quality and escaped all of the biopic trappings because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Hey.

Does anybody know of any black, gay, wheelchair bound mathematician or scientist ( artist at a stretch) historically. Preferably persecuted at some stage for being gay or black. Dies young preferable. Being shot would be better but I would take suicide.

I want to write a biopic, is all.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Christ but I thought Birdman was self indulgent tosh

Hey.

Does anybody know of any black, gay, wheelchair bound mathematician or scientist ( artist at a stretch) historically. Preferably persecuted at some stage for being gay or black. Dies young preferable. Being shot would be better but I would take suicide.

I want to write a biopic, is all.

Thanks in advance.

Drop the black thing. Not a vote getter

efb wrote: »
    Drop the black thing. Not a vote getter

I'm thinking the backlash.

Also can't help but hope that since Boyhood didn't win best picture the annoying "Boring, nothing happens! It's such a gimmick. The kid is annoying." people can play their overrated card elsewhere. ;)

I loved Birdman though but Whiplash would have been my #1 choice. Hell that music alone when JK walked up to the stage made me want to go back and watch the film right away.

...and regarding the Selma snub. If the completely flat and boring Imitation Game could get a best director nomination Ava DuVernay sure as hell should have.

I loved Imitation game

The academy doesn't care. Give Cuba Gudding Jr a undeserved best supporting actor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I dont think there will be a backlash. I think the only reason the story got any traction was because there was no other scandel in the run up.

To be fair this year i feel the academy have got it farily spot on. (except for the omission of lego movie in best animation)

I honestly feel that there can be no complaints this year, i think for the most part the winners deserved it.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Birdman eh, file under Shakespeare in Love as Oscar Winners we'll never hear of again.
    A collective circle jerk to the thesps who vote for the Oscars, will not resonate at all with the general public.
    There could be a backlash against this once those who originally put it off decide to watch it on the back of the Oscar win, glad I won't be the one defending it.

Birdman eh, file under Shakespeare in Love as Oscar Winners we'll never hear of again.
    A collective circle jerk to the thesps who vote for the Oscars, will not resonate at all with the general public.
    There could be a backlash against this once those who originally put it off decide to watch it on the back of the Oscar win, glad I won't be the one defending it.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

will not resonate at all with the general public.
    But it already has. I went to see it again last week and there were more people there than on the week of its release, people really seemed to enjoy it too. Not that resonating with the general public is much of a measure of quality either, we could give Brendan O'Carroll an oscar in that case. :pac:

While I understand the circle jerk argument with it being a film about actors and the movie industry I still think it's an insanely fun and creative movie. It's one I can genuinely see myself (along with Whiplash, Boyhood and Grand Budapest) revisiting every few years. It also happens to be a very timely movie about where Hollywood is at right now.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

While I understand the circle jerk argument with it being a film about actors and the movie industry I still think it's an insanely fun and creative movie. It's one I can genuinely see myself (along with Whiplash, Boyhood and Grand Budapest) revisiting every few years. It also happens to be a very timely movie about where Hollywood is at right now.

Only thing I may re-watch from 2014 is probably Interstellar or maybe Whiplash.
    Finest example of the art this year was True Detective Episodes 1 - 5, it's the first time I've understood the TV >>>> Film argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

These Oscar winners seem to become more and more underwhelming every year .
    The last few best picture winners have been extremely mediocre films,The Artist,Argo,12 Years a Slave and Birdman

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

No one has ever heard or spoken of The Hurt Locker since it won! Until this post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Closing in on $100m at the box office...

resonate at all with the general public.
    To be fair the oscars arent a public opinion poll they have never claimed that.

I think if that is how you access films then maybe the MTV movie awards is what you are looking for.

I agree with you that Birdman will not be everyones cup of tea, but to say it will be forgotten about it utter folly. It has some of the best cinematography work seen en-mass by the public in years, the long on-shot scenes that blend seemlessly together are a thing of beauty. The all round ensemble performance is excellent. These are some of the many reasons this movie will be watched for many years to come.

The last few best picture winners have been extremely mediocre films,The Artist,Argo,12 Years a Slave and Birdman

I thought 12 Years A Slave was an excellent film and deserved the win last year.

I haven't seen The Artist, but I did enjoy Argo and Birdman. I wouldn't call them mediocre by any means, but I would agree they probably won't go down in history as all time classics. Then again, nor will Around The World in 80 Days or The Greatest Show on Earth or The Last Emperor or Driving Miss Daisy. The best film of the year not winning isn't a modern phenomenon...

• Advertisement

No great love for GBH on here? I really liked it.

Not mediocre, but all a bit worthy perhaps.

Lads, seriously.

Best Film of the year is such an individualistic thing i really cant understand why people are so bothered when their favourite film didnt win.

I honestly did think Birdman deserved the win. With the type of people voting for this award they are always going to favour films that are a good display of the craft that is film making. Birdman is this in spades.

If American Sniper had won i would have trouble understanding that.

What an utterly nonsensical phrase. I'll file it alongside 'mild peril'.

Loved it , bought it for my collection. But to be fair Wes Anderson does not appeal to the masses on the same level as other filmmakers. To me the amount of little details and eccentricities that run through his films make it enjoyable and unique. But i understand alot of people wont understand it and just label it weird etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Boyhood is taking best film and director for Linklater

Boy was I wrong :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Loved it , bought it for my collection. But to be fair Wes Anderson does not appeal to the masses on the same level as other filmmakers. To me the amount of little details and eccentricities that run through his films make it enjoyable and unique. But i understand alot of people wont understand it and just label it weird etc.

I'm not a huge fan of Wes Anderson but it's not because I don't understand it or think it's weird, it's because he seems to just do the same thing over and over again. He's got a very definitive style but you always know what you're going to get from one of his films. Maybe you could say that about a lot of directors though.

I loved it. Would probably be my favourite film of the year. That and Boyhood.

I'm not a huge fan of Wes Anderson but it's not because I don't understand it or think it's weird, it's because he seems to just do the same thing over and over again. He's got a very definitive style but you always know what you're going to get from one of his films. Maybe you could say that about a lot of directors though.

The first two names that came to mind were Hitchcock and Bergman. Admittedly, I've only seen a handful of films from each, but I honestly feel like I'm revisiting similar territory every time I watch one of their films. I'm sure there's people that would tear me apart for saying that, but that's honestly been my experience with them so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

The first two names that came to mind were Hitchcock and Bergman. Admittedly, I've only seen a handful of films from each, but I honestly feel like I'm revisiting similar territory every time I watch one of their films. I'm sure there's people that would tear me apart for saying that, but that's honestly been my experience with them so far.

Fincher was the first that came to my mind, has quite a distinct style. Tarantino too. Those are more positive examples of auteurs though.

Advertisement