Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know any hipsters in real life?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

There seems to be a curious skanger/hipster hybrid emerging now.

Thick rim glasses, Hitler youth haircut, tattered scarves, but with hands down the front of their tracksuits, and tracksuits tucked into socks.

Have you seen these Skangsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

They can be abnoxiously self satisfied, but a trend that involves reading Hemingway, apreciating product that is craft and local listening to alt bands and upcycling rather then consumer grazing isn't the worst trend in the world, it's certiantly better then a subculture that spends it's days watching X-Factor, reading nothing and shambling to the shops in your PJs to top up your supply of Dutch Gold. At least the hipsters are interested in something beyond what Simon Cowel and Apple are flogging to the bovine masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

People who proclaim themselves to be nerds / geeks / gamer-girlz / etc at every opportunity like it's what defines them or makes them extra interesting are generally annoying plebs with not much beneath the exterior they work hard to show off.

Went out with one girl who had a bunch of hipster friends who would talk enormous guff like how "random" everything was, that they were super-geeks because they had a Super Nintendo in their house. Reading a Walking Dead comic meant they were also self-proclaimed comic book nerds.

For no reason, someone would pull out a kazoo and use it annoyingly while everyone thought it was funny because it was so "random" for, like, someone to have a kazoo in their pocket.

A photo of someone standing in a wheelie bin somehow happened to be a hilarious thing to show to everyone and talk about how it was such a bizarre and hilarious thing for someone to be standing in a wheelie bin.

One person intentionally had a bog-standard button-phone primarily as some kind of protest at smartphones, which he would proudly drone one about. Nothing wrong with those phones, but this guy used it like a fashion accessory.

Some of them would stop listening to certain bands because "the masses" listen to them, pretty much the stereotype of a hipster and their musical tastes.

Sometimes I used to just sit amongst them wondering how I got myself into these scenarios, looking at a guy across the room rolling up a smoke while talking about how the public all dress the same................while he himself looked like all the other lads in the room..............who all looked like they played in Mumford & Sons or be extras in Boardwalk Empire.

Stopped seeing the girl a while after that but I was glad as fúck to see the last of those vacuous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yeah I met Wibbs at a few beers years ago

/runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

A few years ago I called into Road Records and asked for a copy of Sonic Youth's Dirty (Deluxe Edition). The owner asked me if I wanted vinyl or CD. I said "give me the CD version". A hipster I vaguely know by sight gave me a withering glance and proceeded to talk loudly to his bearded chinstroking friend about how "cool" the quadruple vinyl repress was.

I didn't need the vinyl repress because 1) It cost three times as much as the CD and 2) I purchased the original double LP back in 1992.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    A few years ago I called into Road Records and asked for a copy of Sonic Youth's Dirty (Deluxe Edition). The owner asked me if I wanted vinyl or CD. I said "give me the CD version". A hipster I vaguely know by sight gave me a withering glance and proceeded to talk loudly to his bearded chinstroking friend about how "cool" the quadruple vinyl repress was.

I didn't need the vinyl repress because 1) It cost three times as much as the CD and 2) I purchased the original double LP back in 1992.

Maybe I'm all hipster'd out and you probably did it on purpose and THATS THE JOKE but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Yeah I know a few they don't understand my lifestyle....and I don't really want to understand theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Maybe I'm all hipster'd out and you probably did it on purpose and THATS THE JOKE but...

Just providing the reason / background information. I know well how it's gonna come off.

I didn't say anything at the time, just paid for the CD and left.

The purpose of the post was to show how judgmental some people can be. This guy - who didn't really know me - decided to be publicly condescending in a subtle manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Garage Bar in Dublin is horrendous. Wood chippings on the floor, furniture made out of metal barrels, and a TV showing old black and white films.

For **** sake.....

conorhal wrote: »
    They can be abnoxiously self satisfied, but a trend that involves reading Hemingway, apreciating product that is craft and local listening to alt bands and upcycling rather then consumer grazing isn't the worst trend in the world, it's certiantly better then a subculture that spends it's days watching X-Factor, reading nothing and shambling to the shops in your PJs to top up your supply of Dutch Gold. At least the hipsters are interested in something beyond what Simon Cowel and Apple are flogging to the bovine masses.

Apple? You do know thats the actual hipster logo right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Garage Bar in Dublin is horrendous. Wood chippings on the floor, furniture made out of metal barrels, and a TV showing old black and white films.

I love the Garage and I'm about as far away from a Hipster as you can imagine. The TV has only had normal channels whenever I've been there. Maybe a black and white film just happened to be on normal TV when you were there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

For **** sake.....

Don't know if you're for **** saking at me or with me …
    Macavity. wrote: »
    I love the Garage and I'm about as far away from a Hipster as you can imagine. The TV has only had normal channels whenever I've been there. Maybe a black and white film just happened to be on normal TV when you were there. :pac:

Well the two times I was there it was showing black & white films and I will add that both times the people I was with, and the other patrons I observed, contributed majorly to my reaction to the place. Maybe it was the night, I know they do "themed nights". As a bar though, it did nothing for me.

Wood chippings!? I'm a human, not a hamster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I know a few hipster men, skinny jeans, long beards, fancy hair, shrill fake American sounding accents. They all have the same interests, obscure music, Sci fi, 80s cartoons, technology, craft beer, pretentious bars and restaurants. It's like a boring conformist uniform, I barely get to know the person inside.

Don't know if you're for **** saking at me or with me …

Well the two times I was there it was showing black & white films and I will add that both times the people I was with, and the other patrons I observed, contributed majorly to my reaction to the place. Maybe it was the night, I know they do "themed nights". As a bar though, it did nothing for me.

Wood chippings!? I'm a human, not a hamster

With u! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I know a few hipster men, skinny jeans, long beards, fancy hair, shrill fake American sounding accents. They all have the same interests, obscure music, Sci fi, 80s cartoons, technology, craft beer, pretentious bars and restaurants. It's like a boring conformist uniform, I barely get to know the person inside.

Did you try hard to get inside them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I work near Shoreditch, I see way too many fixie-riding skinny-jeaned knobends every day of the week.

Your are a hipster only hipsters bang on about shoreditch, us old buggers whinge about Hoxton and Murray groove

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

A hipster is someone who wont admit they like a band, because if they do that means at least one person likes that band, and thats way too mainstream:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

jimboblep wrote: »
    A hipster is someone who wont admit they like a band, because if they do that means at least one person likes that band, and thats way too mainstream:D

So basically all hipsters are teenagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Riddle101 wrote: »

It doesn't stop being funny!

Advertisement