Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know any hipsters in real life?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

e_e wrote: »
    Hipsters are a myth made by people who get bent out of shape about others liking something they don't.

Hmm. I guess you haven't taken a stroll down Wexford Street recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

e_e wrote: »
    Hipsters are a myth made by people who get bent out of shape about others liking something they don't.
    There's definitely that, but there's a reality to it being an actual "style" too - moreso the clothes and accessories, and the fetish for ironic kitsch.
    Not so much the taste in music/film - I think that's when the "hipster" catcall gets tedious. It's music and film that anyone could be into, not just "hipsters".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I know a lad, wears skinny jeans and shirts buttoned all the way up. He's into to all that filtered photography, "trendy" foods (which he takes filtered photos of), and craft beer. I haven't heard of mist of the music he listens to and he once took a bunch of us to 'the bar with no name'. He's harmless and sound enough, but he's a total twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

porsche959 wrote: »
    Hmm. I guess you haven't taken a stroll down Wexford Street recently.

I stroll down Wexford Street everyday. Nothing that hipster-ish about it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I know a lad, wears skinny jeans and shirts buttoned all the way up. He's into to all that filtered photography, "trendy" foods (which he takes filtered photos of), and craft beer. I haven't heard of mist of the music he listens to and he once took a bunch of us to 'the bar with no name'. He's harmless and sound enough, but he's a total twat

The skinny jeans I don't understand why anybody would wear them, especially men, but when you say "trendy" foods what do you mean? Taking photos of the food is weird but look at the amount of people posting a photo of their dinner on Facebook.

As for the music and craft beer, how is that hipstertish? You have just proved e_e's point when he/she stated that it is just a term people like to label other people who happen to like something different to what the person throwing the label around likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Eutow wrote: »
    The skinny jeans I don't understand why anybody would wear them, especially men, but when you say "trendy" foods what do you mean? Taking photos of the food is weird but look at the amount of people posting a photo of their dinner on Facebook.

As for the music and craft beer, how is that hipstertish? You have just proved e_e's point when he/she stated that it is just a term people like to label other people who happen to like something different to what the person throwing the label around likes.

It's hard to explain but it's not just that he likes this stuff it's the way he likes and talks about it. Its definitely a label I use but I only use it when people like certain things I don't like. I don't like rap but I wouldn't call someone who does 'a hipster', you know what I mean.

Trendy foods = burritos and pulled pork etc. It's grand to like all that but again, its the WAY he likes it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I like craft beer and a lot of lesser known bands.

Oh god I'm one of them :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

there are some nice hipsters, and some that are tosspots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Knowing a hipster is so mainstream...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Not gone on the catch-all term hipster, as they're are differing strains, but I suppose anything that's a bit left of the norm needs a name.

The worst offenders in this category are the snobbish, arrogant hipsters who look down their nose at people who aren't them. Much like the ordinary Joes disliking hipsters and vice versa. It's an intolerance thing essentially. Nothing more.

Oh, and awareness. Too self-aware be the hip ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My boot cut jeans probably scare them all away

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

People seem to "spot" conor mcgreggor all over the place ...i even spotted him myself....except he was in LA at the time....seems there's millions of them

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

People seem to "spot" conor mcgreggor all over the place ...i even spotted him myself....except he was in LA at the time....seems there's millions of them

Is he a hipster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Going on about hipsters is so hip right now

• Registered Users Posts: 34,454 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Eutow wrote: »

You're picking up on this wrong.

A hipster doesn't drink craft beer because they thought they'd go out and maybe taste different beers after consuming Diagio stuff for years. Many people do that and they're not hipsters.

No, a hipster drinks craft beer because they feel like that's what they should be doing to fit into their chosen hipster lifestyle.

The fixie bikes, the whole term 'foodie', the craft beer, skinny jeans, oversized glasses, 'gentrification', it's all part of one overall fashion/culture statement.

People do all these things individually as they enjoy them. But if you get an individual who does all of them, in an almost religious, unquestioning way, it does make you wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is he a hipster?
    doubt it, but his dressalikes look like hipsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Several and also their even more extreme French counterparts "Bobos" (bourgeois-bohème).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I'm only half-hipster, on my mothers side.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Why did the hipster burn his tongue?

Because he drank coffee before it was cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

i lost my virginity to a girl wearing hipsters back in 19dickity 2

It probably would have been easier if you got them off her first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There are two types of people, knobs and non-knobs. Some non-knobs are hipsters, some knobs are hipsters, some hipsters are knobs, some hipsters are non-knobs, same as everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I work near Shoreditch, I see way too many fixie-riding skinny-jeaned knobends every day of the week.

I reserve my right to question the practicality, but they're free to wear ball crunchingly tight trousers if they want and I'm certainly nobody to judge the appearance of others.

BUT: There's a generous supply of fcukers on fixie bikes who weave in and out of traffic with nothing to protect them other than a tea cosy hanging from the back of their skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I know one bloke who could be a hipster, has the beard, is on the McGregor bandwagon despite hating MMA a while back, DJ's in places in town, introduces himself by his first and middle name, protests everything on facebook and only on facebook, and does the whole strange food thing.

I think he's just an ar*ehole though.

I know a guy who wears low V-necked tees, does that count?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Back in the day, hipsters wore trucker caps, skinny jeans and t-shirts with pictures of 80s cartoons on them.

Then hipsters dressed like rich homeless people with gear from Urban Outfitters.

Now hipsters are bearded guys in suspenders.

Hipster is really just a term to mean 'young person adhering to current trends' and the hatred is just jealousy from cloistered shut-ins

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I do know one person who is definitely a hipster.

Most hipster thing I saw them do was come to work wearing an arran jumper with homemade hummus for their lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Are hipsters the offspring of Suedeheads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Just got some hipster ale there by evil twin brewing. Hipster cred +100 #hipster4lyfe

Advertisement