Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know any hipsters in real life?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

o1s1n wrote: »
    You're picking up on this wrong.

A hipster doesn't drink craft beer because they thought they'd go out and maybe taste different beers after consuming Diagio stuff for years. Many people do that and they're not hipsters.

No, a hipster drinks craft beer because they feel like that's what they should be doing to fit into their chosen hipster lifestyle.

The fixie bikes, the whole term 'foodie', the craft beer, skinny jeans, oversized glasses, 'gentrification', it's all part of one overall fashion/culture statement.

People do all these things individually as they enjoy them. But if you get an individual who does all of them, in an almost religious, unquestioning way, it does make you wonder...

Exactly. There's a sense of self-importance to them and how they carry themselves when they engage in such activities. To us regular folk there's nothing special about drinking craft beer but they need to make sure everyone knows they're drinking craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thankfully, no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

i know some hipsters . and they are cnuts

but they were cnuts before they "turned " hipster , now you can spot them for further away to avoid them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Hipster culture is a load of bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

the hatred is just jealousy from cloistered shut-ins
    Why is it never possible to criticize the ridiculous without someone accusing you of 'jealousy'?

There is a dope living in my apartment complex, who looks like an anorectic gay lumberjack on acid.

I've never seen such a miserable-looking wretch. I met him dragging his bike up the stairwell the other day, and was divided over whether to throw him some change, or push him and put him out of his misery. I reckon he blows his dole on a diet of Complan and craft beer.

Many of us find hipsters bemusing, trend-following, or just ridiculous. But by all means, live and let live. It would be quite wrong to confuse this with jealousy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

conorh91 wrote: »
    Why is it never possible to criticize the ridiculous without someone accusing you of 'jealousy'
    Ditto for "hatred". It seems that these days there is no middle ground - you must either love or hate something, leaving no room for "meh" or "what?" :rolleyes:

I will happily admit to some Hipster tendencies, particularly when it comes to beer. My tastes in music and film might be called Hipster, except I've had them since before they were remotely fashionable. (Is King Crimson a Hipster band? Maybe.) But I don't dress in a particularly Hipster way. I've worn specs since I was age 10, nothing affected or ironic about that.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Yeah.....I know a fella who wears glasses with no lenses......just f**k off.......!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I used to own a pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I used to own a pair

Hipster
    .....hi...... :O :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Yes, plenty.

I first encountered hipsters in secondary school during the mid 80s.
    Some of them haven't changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Well there was the guy who would rave to everybody who'd listen about this new album he discovered. It was Brian Eno's Another Green World.

Then someone told him that Phil Collins drummed on it, so he got rid of it and never mentioned it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Wherever you've been on holidays , they find it a bit touristy and have been somewhere a further mikes away that is way nicer and off the beaten path.

Bonus marks if it's a place that's hard to pronounce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I like craft beer and a lot of lesser known bands.

Oh god I'm one of them :pac:

I wouldn't drink anything other than craft beers if given the chance, once I tried I couldn't go back...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Craft beers are too mainstream for me.

I like to keep it old school and retro by drinking pints of stout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I know one bloke who could be a hipster, has the beard, is on the McGregor bandwagon despite hating MMA a while back, DJ's in places in town, introduces himself by his first and middle name, protests everything on facebook and only on facebook, and does the whole strange food thing.

I think he's just an ar*ehole though.
    The dj-ing in places in town is definitely the most atrocious of the lot - the wanker! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

First they came for the hipsters,
    and I did not speak out.

Fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ever see the episode of The Simpsons where befriended some hipsters, and was briefly one of them?

branie2 wrote: »
    Ever see the episode of The Simpsons where befriended some hipsters, and was briefly one of them?
    The Simpsons has been crap for so, so long, but that episode excellently sums up what hipsters are and it's not just lazily throwing together a definition, the homework is really done.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Not sure if I do. Us alpha's dont sweat over sheeeeit like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Craft beers....I've heard it all now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If you have ever eaten in jo burger or bunsen then u know a hipster!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Isn't being "alt" the new thing?,ya know where people put a lot of effort into looking like they haven't made any effort.

"New"? That's been around for donkeys years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

who the fcuk mentioned Smithwicks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Lyger wrote: »
    "New"? That's been around for donkeys years.

No no no,i don't mean "alt" in the sense of the alt that's been around for years,i mean the new "alt",you'll see it soon in the town near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

During the summer I was having few drinks watching world cup with mates they convinced me to go to this thing In Rathmines because one the bands who was playing they wanted to see.

So I get there and it's a ****ty old school Hall type place with ****ing bath tubs on the wall and floor stupid designs on the walls and plant pots everywhere.......

The crowd there jesus they where some shower of **** it's a good thing I was tipsy at that stage I could laugh it off! Even one the female singers there was awful making these ****e jokes during each song of course the crowd was one of them so all mostly fake laughed.....

Anyway they are horrible bastards how anyone can enjoy living so far up there own arse hole and wearing what looks like there's ma s jeans all the way threw it I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

During the summer I was having few drinks watching world cup with mates they convinced me to go to this thing In Rathmines because one the bands who was playing they wanted to see.

So I get there and it's a ****ty old school Hall type place with ****ing bath tubs on the wall and floor stupid designs on the walls and plant pots everywhere.......

The crowd there jesus they where some shower of **** it's a good thing I was tipsy at that stage I could laugh it off! Even one the female singers there was awful making these ****e jokes during each song of course the crowd was one of them so all mostly fake laughed.....

Anyway they are horrible bastards how anyone can enjoy living so far up there own arse hole and wearing what looks like there's ma s jeans all the way threw it I don't know!

Garage Bar in Dublin is horrendous. Wood chippings on the floor, furniture made out of metal barrels, and a TV showing old black and white films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

People who hate sun holidays.

/ thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I like craft beer and a lot of lesser known bands.

Oh god I'm one of them :pac:

Yeah, me too. I'm 48 for fuck's sake, there's no way I'm wearing skinny jeans. Mind you, most jeans are skinny on me these days...

Advertisement