Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont celebrate my birthday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Mine was last week, put it to private on FaceBook as I didn't want meaningless greetings from people I never speak to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Only the self important celebrate the day their so important lives began.

And what's with these large 21th brithday parties? Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hatchet Harry

Dont celebrate it either, just another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Saipanne wrote: »
    I think the whole birthday bash thing to be completely narcissistic.

Get over yourselves.
    Ok.

*makes note to get over self*

Some overthinking going on - most people mark their birthday, lots are low-key about it though; it's not about "self importance" or "narcissism" etc.

I think it's nice when I receive birthday greetings from friends and family, and usually go for a few drinks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Poor OP did you find some grey pubes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I am not one for holding parties i.e 30th/40th etc,I don't consider myself a miserable cnut because of this I just don't like being the center of attention,For my 40th I just went out for a few pints with my mates in the local then headed off in to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

I got to thinking, am I truly the only person who finds celebrating my own birthday a pain in the butt. I find it all such a drag, every year I do a list of presents I want or need, nothing special now, bubble bath, socks, maybe a pair of gloves or perfume, so that my husband and daughter can choose something from the list. but oh no they always go off list and buy me something crap, every year its the same. So this year I have decided no birthday for me. no presents and no cake. I feel better all ready. Ever since I was a child celebrating my birthday has always been a total let down. and don't get me started on xmas.

Oh no my birthday is special. That's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Spent most of the day in bed watching films for my birthday better than any party imo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I got to thinking, am I truly the only person who finds celebrating my own birthday a pain in the butt. /QUOTE]
    I don't celebrate your birthday either. Doesn't impact on my butt though, so I suppose I'm undecided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I hate my birthday, it always makes me feel inadequate for various reasons. My family will insist on marking the occasion but I'd prefer if they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I love celebrating my birthday, it's a special day for me, another year in my life gone by , through thick and thin, bad and good,high and lows, I still here alive and kicking, it's my special day,I love the attention I love the texts I love the presents, roll on April:-)

Love christmas to but I could give easter a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wow there are some miserable bastards on Boards :)

But OP, birthdays are good for you!

People who have more birthdays live longer. :pac:

This might be my favourite post ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

No one in my family really celebrates their birthday so it was never really a big thing. You'll always have some prick labeling you a dry shite and a grinch if you don't throw a party and make a big deal of it. Lots of people dislike being unnecessarily the centre of attention though and I'll never understand why people are surprised/hostile about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd be another who doesn't take any note of my birthday. Just another day to me really and I'm not a card person either. My immediate family would be the same and we stopped doing Christmas as well when I was about 14 I think.

With my ex it was usually the traditional Irish Christmas where you spend most of the day driving around the place visiting relatives, whereas I'd have been happier to spend the day itself just together ourselves and relax.

On the plus side, these days I get a lot more out of Christmas cause of the little fella (although maybe that should be he gets more out of me :)) and buying all the cool toys for myself .. er, I mean him is fun.

I really dislike "Love Day" though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

But...but....cards! With money inside! Hello!!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Rory28 wrote: »
    My birthday is Christmas eve so it is not celebrated as such. We already are celebrating my birthday just happens to be there as well.
    Sucked for presents when i was a kid tho. "We already got you this so just wait until tomorrow"
    YOU WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW MOM!!!

My birthday's Christmas Eve as well. People were always like, "Oh shame, you must just get the one present then." My parents always made a point of giving me presents on both days as a kid.

I don't celebrate my birthday either, though. Gave up around 11 and since it's on such an awkward date everyone kind of forgets about it. Something about being the "birthday person" puts a little more attention on me than I would like.

Be glad you don't live in Germany though. Over here it's common for the person organizing the party/going out to pay for all the alcohol/drinks. Oh and they have to bring in cake to work. Another reason I'm glad I was born on Xmas Eve; I'm usually in Ireland. No cake or alcohol for my co-workers - HAH.

OneArt wrote: »
    Be glad you don't live in Germany though. Over here it's common for the person organizing the party/going out to pay for all the alcohol/drinks. Oh and they have to bring in cake to work. Another reason I'm glad I was born on Xmas Eve; I'm usually in Ireland. No cake or alcohol for my co-workers - HAH.

When I worked in the UK our office had a tradition where the person whose birthday it was brought in some food for co-workers. It snowballed from cakes into a complete spread and from immediate co-workers to the entire office (90+ people). I remember running round Tesco one morning on my birthday spending £65 on smoked salmon, bread, nice cheeses the lot.

On the other hand the presents were good.

It had all gone way over the top though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

No one in my family really celebrates their birthday so it was never really a big thing. You'll always have some prick labeling you a dry shite and a grinch if you don't throw a party and make a big deal of it. Lots of people dislike being unnecessarily the centre of attention though and I'll never understand why people are surprised/hostile about this.

+1. I will go to my friends' parties but would never like a party in my honour. I went to my older brother's 21st and though it was a load of shyte, so when my time came I refused to have one.

An ex boyfriend's family (huge!) celebrate every single birthday. I was uncomfortable attending so many parties (I hate family stuff), and this was a major reason for our split.

This year my birthday fell on a Thursday; I took the day off work as a present to myself and went to the pub. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

...every year I do a list of presents I want or need, nothing special now, bubble bath

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

Glad to see I am not the only one who does not celebrate birthdays, yep well lets face it, birthdays are for children, whats the point of expecting lots of presents expensive or otherwise when you are over 21, its just selfish, get a life and go do something you really want on your birthday like Aglomerado did, take the day off work, and go to the pub. it don't give a **** about my birthday a load of cods wollop. Got nothing to do about who cares about me, its like forcing someone to buy you a present. Its like when its my husbands/daughters birthday its like what you gonna buy me, this and that, jesus give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't particularly celebrate my birthday.

But I'm not miserable about the fact that it's my birthday.

Then again, I was always a bit of a maverick. I don't play by the rules #hashtag

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

ya I am not miserable about my birthday either, I just don't want to do all the birthday stuff, cards, presents. Much rather go spend the day doing something I like, no matter how trivial it is.

^^
    How awful that you have people caring about you and stuff.
    Don't you go ruining another Love Day! :mad:

Seriously though, nah there's nothing wrong with not celebrating your birthday of course and it doesn't mean you're a miserable prick - it's a personal choice how you mark your birthday, if you do so at all. But by the same token, those who do mark the day don't deserve to be called narcissistic and self centred and in need of "getting over" themselves etc.

Birthdays are mostly for kids in fairness but if adults do something small for it like go for a few pints, I'm... not seeing a problem? There are people on this thread saying birthday greetings are false and it's silly to expect cards/presents (not that these are essential) but that's kinda a pointless thing to say, when birthday greetings aren't always false and people DO get cards and presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

How is someone a miserable bastard for not enjoying their birthday? As long as they don't ruin other people's birthdays what's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I got to thinking, am I truly the only person who finds celebrating my own birthday a pain in the butt. I find it all such a drag, every year I do a list of presents I want or need, nothing special now, bubble bath, socks, maybe a pair of gloves or perfume, so that my husband and daughter can choose something from the list. but oh no they always go off list and buy me something crap, every year its the same. So this year I have decided no birthday for me. no presents and no cake. I feel better all ready. Ever since I was a child celebrating my birthday has always been a total let down. and don't get me started on xmas.

Have you ever heard the expression, it's the thought that counts?!

I was well prepared last December, all presents & cards purchased and wrapped well in advance. My Late Loving Dad ending up passing away on December 20th and his birthday would be December 31st.
    I still have his presents and cards from last year that he never got to open and indeed read.
    I opened his presents myself again some time later, but I'll tell you something now for nothing - their will come a day when you will wish you could open just one more; to be able to put on the smile some people do when receiving presents; knowing that thought and love was put into the gifts and just Say Thanks, and that you Love them!
    I can assure you, that day will come,
    Just suck it up and be grateful you have people alive who love you and want to make you happy,
    kerry4sam

whats the point of expecting lots of presents expensive or otherwise when you are over 21, its just selfish, get a life and go do something you really want on your birthday like Aglomerado did, take the day off work, and go to the pub.
    Don't you think the above sentence is a little... contradictory?
    it don't give a **** about my birthday a load of cods wollop. Got nothing to do about who cares about me
    So what you're saying is, your experience is or should be the very same as everyone else's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I hardly ever organise anything official for my birthday. I don't tell people it's coming up. I just say on a night on the day or thereabouts that I'm going to have a few drinks for my birthday if anyone wants to join. I don't like a big fuss. I'm flattered if people buy me presents but I don't care if nobody gets me anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Shhhhh, I'm not telling anyone but it's my birthday in 2 minutes time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement