Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont celebrate my birthday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

im with you OP, don't like celebrating it or no interesting doing the whole going out for meal or anything like that. Rather just stay at home at watch tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

endacl wrote: »
    On a more serious note I suppose, if you don't care about it, ignore it. You did care enough about it to open a thread on here though. *

* not that that means anything. We did have somebody open a thread about arse shaving....

Is it just me or do you love reminding everyone about the arse shaving thread! Hmm whats that about? :-P

T'was my birthday the other day, hate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

People who don't celebrate their birthdays have no souls.

The real narcissism is in balefully denying the dismal passage of all-devouring time, rejecting the inevitability of your future demise.

But what else would one expect from those who worship at the altar of the cult of the individual?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I got to thinking, am I truly the only person who finds celebrating my own birthday a pain in the butt. I find it all such a drag, every year I do a list of presents I want or need, nothing special now, bubble bath, socks, maybe a pair of gloves or perfume, so that my husband and daughter can choose something from the list. but oh no they always go off list and buy me something crap, every year its the same. So this year I have decided no birthday for me. no presents and no cake. I feel better all ready. Ever since I was a child celebrating my birthday has always been a total let down. and don't get me started on xmas.

HOLY CRAP!!! It was like looking in a mirror for me. I never realized I seemed so bitter and negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I love my birthday :) I love other giving presents more than getting presents, but when it's your birthday it's nice that people sing happy birthday, you all have some tea and cake and you're surrounded by people who care about you. It's always been a big deal in my family, everyone is made to feel special and loved, more so than a regular day. Great excuse to have a get together or a party too, not that you should need an excuse, but I feel people make the effort to be there on your birthday.

And yet you hate cuddles.

You truly are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I got to thinking, am I truly the only person who finds celebrating my own birthday a pain in the butt. I find it all such a drag, every year I do a list of presents I want or need, nothing special now, bubble bath, socks, maybe a pair of gloves or perfume, so that my husband and daughter can choose something from the list. but oh no they always go off list and buy me something crap, every year its the same. So this year I have decided no birthday for me. no presents and no cake. I feel better all ready. Ever since I was a child celebrating my birthday has always been a total let down. and don't get me started on xmas.
    So your problem is you don't get the presents you want? And now you're having a hissy fit about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Ah you poor thing! Your family try to be really sweet and buy you something they think you'd like, how you must struggle!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My mam, my sister and myself have our birthdays within the one week, so we do a family dinner to celebrate the three of them, and that's about as much as I do. Not into making a big deal out of my birthday.

I do appreciate the well wishes and presents all the same, more for the thought behind them than the actual material goods.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

catallus wrote: »
    People who don't celebrate their birthdays have no souls.

The real narcissism is in balefully denying the dismal passage of all-devouring time, rejecting the inevitability of your future demise.

But what else would one expect from those who worship at the altar of the cult of the individual?!

Oh Kay... And on that cheery note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I just go away for my birthday or buy myself something nice. I have a night away booked courtesy of my bf, I'm happy out. I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't get presents etc, I treat myself anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is it just me or do you love reminding everyone about the arse shaving thread! Hmm whats that about? :-P

T'was my birthday the other day, hate it!

Happy birthday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye should be delighted they put thought in. It's just nice to have somebody care. Sure my favourite present this year was a novelty cookie cutter and another was a novelty spatula. But the real favourite thing is that somebody is thinking about you and caring.

So shup and say thanks convincingly dammit! (Don't take acting lessons from my mother)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

The birthday craic, is supposed to be a celebration of being alive another a year.

Are you not happy to be alive OP? ):

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got to thinking, am I truly the only person who finds celebrating my own birthday a pain in the butt. I find it all such a drag, every year I do a list of presents I want or need, nothing special now, bubble bath, socks, maybe a pair of gloves or perfume, so that my husband and daughter can choose something from the list. but oh no they always go off list and buy me something crap, every year its the same. So this year I have decided no birthday for me.
    Wahhh, I didn't get the presents I want, wahhhh, You're not coming to my birthdays anymore because I'm not having them anymore.. Wahhhh

I love my birthday, first thing I do when i wake up in the morning is ring everybody in my phonebook, then I put on my birthday suit, an actual suit with "it's my birthday" messages all over it I don't go around in the nip. Once the people start going to work I surprise them with my one man "it's my birthday" parade. They all beep their horns and wave their fists at me but they're not going anywhere until I get my birthday presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Not too into presents as they always let me down family now know I' happy with a night on the lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

NEWSFLASH: WOMAN GROWING OLDER NOT HAPPY WITH CELEBRATING THE PASSING OF YEARS!: More on this story as it develops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Some people make too big a deal of their birthdays and expect you to make a big deal as well.
    They are the same people that post on Facebook every 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pain in the arse. I don't even acknowledge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I love my birthday, it's a great excuse to go out for dinner or a few drinks, and it's always nice to get a little present from your family/OH. We just tell each other what we want, although I do think that being peed off at the presents people buy you is pretty ungrateful.

My birthday is tomorrow, so the boyfriend took me out for it last night and I'm going for food next week with some friends too. Sure we wouldn't have done any of that if I didn't want any celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Person really really not bothered about their birthday starts thread about it on busiest forum on the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Saipanne wrote: »
    I think the whole birthday bash thing to be completely narcissistic.

Get over yourselves.

This. I was at a guy's 30th in a Dublin City Centre pub and there were pics of him as a youngster hanging up everywhere. Thought it was a bit over the top for a grown man. Definitely narcissism involved in big birthday celebrations. You get a pass for your 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Ah sure it's all just a bit of craic. I'm not into birthday over-kill, I'd find that kind of book-a-venue-and-tell-the-world thing a bit embarrassing, but it's a handy excuse to round up some good friends for a few scoops and feel a bit special. Sure we'll all be dead long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I don't celebrate it much, but this year I was given a bottle of Hennessy Fine de Cognac and a classical guitar. All I need now are a few Cuban cigars and I'll be set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

endacl wrote: »
    Happy birthday?

Why thank you! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Me neither, don't see the point. Think it's more for attention-seekers.

What is the point? Yay for me! I was born! Well done. If anyone should be celebrated for your birth it should be your mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Last one I celebrated was when I was 21, will be 40 at the end of the year and will have a few beverages that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

But OP, birthdays are good for you!

People who have more birthdays live longer. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

40 in December. I'm going to make menacing anonymous phone calls to all the "friends" who predicted my early untimely death. That and a fryup with three sixpacks.

Advertisement