Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Thanks TTM with regard info on the Cork underage teams in training etc. The u21 footballers should have a very good panel again this year .....a big worry for them is Kevin Crowley i believe he is going for a operation on his shoulder ...it will be touch and go if he makes or not for the start of the u21 championship ...he will of course miss Millstreets games ...hes very injury prone as indeed is Cathal Vaughan ...hopefully both will sort there injury problems out as both are talents...I suppose we will know all tommorow night after the county board meeting as regards the vacant positions on the hurling managements .....its funny but one of my idols of Cork GAA is Teddy McCarthy ...still is its just a pity that some great players dont make great coaches/managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    Thanks TTM with regard info on the Cork underage teams in training etc. The u21 footballers should have a very good panel again this year .....a big worry for them is Kevin Crowley i believe he is going for a operation on his shoulder ...it will be touch and go if he makes or not for the start of the u21 championship ...he will of course miss Millstreets games ...hes very injury prone as indeed is Cathal Vaughan ...hopefully both will sort there injury problems out as both are talents...I suppose we will know all tommorow night after the county board meeting as regards the vacant positions on the hurling managements .....its funny but one of my idols of Cork GAA is Teddy McCarthy ...still is its just a pity that some great players dont make great coaches/managers.
    Vaughan is in it also left him out

No bother double
    Yeah crowley huge loss but hopefully be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Cork u21 panelfootball training bones panel is

Kevin flahive, michael Martin,Kevin Davis, Sean white, Brian o driscoll Kevin crowley darly Murphy cian Kiely,kieron histon Killan o connor ryan harkin,O mahony clonkaiktly a full forward, Donovan Nemo, Michael hurley, Cian dorgan,Sean donoughue Ballincollig school captain inniscarra, hurler minors also are in trials.
    There's others also when I know full list I will post

Football minors around 22 in training, in barrs weekend playing trial weekend a v b etc
    Adam finegan, David lowney, David griifin, kingston,chizebde obozgende, conor cahalane, Evan Ryle, could go hurling alone, Sean powter, Ross mannix, Daniel dinneen,tim foley etc I think
    I heard full panel but I was out when told so couldn't remember all, I'll post it again

Anybody wants know good counsel panel play midelton two weeks all ireland final can post it also.
    Newtonshandrum apparently looking for coach in liam ryan will not be staying on second year.
    Brilliant coach.

Thanks for that. Some great talent available and with Gene and Sean at the Helm, we'll see them at their best. So frustrating to see very poor management at Senior Level at a time when we are producing some seriously talented footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchoolsFan

Luke Meade, Sean O Donoghue also added to the Senior hurling trading panel

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

The harty cup this week should give a good indicator of what teams will progress. Charleville v Youghal is a vital game for both as a win for Youghal will put them on 6 pts but a won for Charleville could put them right back in it with game 2 go. Heard today Paddy O Loughlin might miss match as he plays county minor semi final with Kilmallock Tuesday night and will be involved in Munster club final Sunday also. Ridiculous fixture planning but it gives a big advantage to Youghal. Rochestown V Caimins in Charleville Wednesday will give indication of Rochestown title capability. Some cracking games and hard to decide which game to try to get to.

• Advertisement

Smith614 wrote: »
    The harty cup this week should give a good indicator of what teams will progress. Charleville v Youghal is a vital game for both as a win for Youghal will put them on 6 pts but a won for Charleville could put them right back in it with game 2 go. Heard today Paddy O Loughlin might miss match as he plays county minor semi final with Kilmallock Tuesday night and will be involved in Munster club final Sunday also. Ridiculous fixture planning but it gives a big advantage to Youghal. Rochestown V Caimins in Charleville Wednesday will give indication of Rochestown title capability. Some cracking games and hard to decide which game to try to get to.
    I think I'm not sure but Kilmallock game is postponed again over Kilmallock senior weekend

Gavin o mahony will likely go back half back
    I don't think they will start loughin but I would

Harty cup I agree tough games decide

Your at one smith throw up report please

I have go youghal for sake cork in youghal need win v charville but I don't believe charville will have same hunger as youghali as charville can't qualify

Heard meade was on panel and I totally agree

Would be surprised Sean o donoughue and I think he better footballer

Didn't hear he called up

Anthony spillane meant to be also

Rochestown will have adapt to caoimhins running game and sweeper as kinnerks with clare side

Shanagher I's main danger clare minor this and last year but imo griffin should be able for him

Real test of management in this game will be one and Lost on side line as caoimhins are up and running in unlucky ist day loss to youghal but are a serious team what I saw in charville

Mentioning Charville butler is great coach
    I think he's drom inch

Speaking drom inch they have major coup in Declan Fitzgerald is staying with them for another year

Trevor horgan is another talent in hurling just back from injury worth watching

I think he is with ul this year

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/five-talking-points-from-limerick-gaa-s-weekend-1-6421223

There you go smith

In point five

I'd say loughlin will start charville cbs

It's bit joke imo limerick championship way behind others and I hear won't be allowed next year as key clubs giving out in limerick regards not being allowed to run games over intercounty commitments last year.

Luke Meade, Dayne Lee and Sean O Donoughue are very young to be on the senior panel ....great potential no doubt but would not have the strength for this level yet ....just suprised thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/five-talking-points-from-limerick-gaa-s-weekend-1-6421223

There you go smith

In point five

I'd say loughlin will start charville cbs

It's bit joke imo limerick championship way behind others and I hear won't be allowed next year as key clubs giving out in limerick regards not being allowed to run games over intercounty commitments last year.

The minor championship was held up in Limerick as there was an appeal from Patrickswell. (I think they refused to play 1/4 final on agreed date. O Loughlin is vital to CBS. They had goon win last week V Castletroy in ?Limerick colleges. O Loughlin, Fitzgibbon (Charleville CBS) and Nash were best players on show by long way. La touché Cosgrave was missing due to club intermediate final.
    If Charleville and Youghal have 2 full teams it could be a cracker.

No problem Gary
    I totally agree with coaching in the point you make.
    I'm huge believer Gary coaching is king, just like prayer is crucial to a priest, imo coaching is a religion in itself that is crucial to the success of any team in any sport now days.
    If coaching was a deck of cards id always want my five coaches in my set up to be a full house made up of ace of spades or kings certainly I wouldn't want any jokers in my deck, I'd thrive for perfection.

To be a coach you must fully understand the principles of coaching not just learn the lingo and speak it imo.
    I remember once in junior cert I was   studying the great maths therom pythagoras.

Remember it, A squared plus B squared equals C squared.
    I studied it meticulously but I never understood it concepts just learned the letters, I was brilliant at history so I'll be honest I bluffed it when teacher asked, I learned it off letters I thought ah yes thinkstoomuch im great, archmides in the making, in truth I fooled no one but myself.

What I failed to understand that it's concept and principles behind the letters is what I should of learned,
    In a right angled triangle:
    the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides and that a and b are two sides of the triangle with c being the longest. How could I use that principle in later life if I didn't truly understand it's concept.
    I simply couldnt.

I was lucky my maths teacher a great teacher knew I was bluffing and normally when the triangle was laid out and on black board and I strolled up thinking I haven't clue how works but I just spout of the lines and etc

Just as I was about to do my party piece I heard a deep voice commanding me to Wait , black shoes he wore that made a resounding penetrative sound that still rings my ear drums when I rethink that day, getting louder and louder til he stood beside me, quick as lightning he got duster wiped away the triangle and also thankfully my bluff and spoof in that instance.

He said draw triangle and labelled it dkg, thinks sure you very good at it aren't you, what are you waiting for.
    Now explain to me and tell me how this therom how it works.
    I was Lost couldn't even begin to be truthful.
    I felt embarrassed for a moment but knew he wasn't out to embarrassed me just wanted to show me top class how I was not understanding it or in fact most class same.
    Called up few others, made he's point.
    Every single student knew by the time week was out how pythagours worked.
    And you know what it felt really good I understood its concepts not just the theory. I now was a real maths student not bluffer and spoofer anymore.

We were all bright students but we didn't understand concepts we just learned it from book.
    Leaving school that day I was happy as I knew I had real real real maths teacher who now I fully understood how pythangours worked and I could relate to it any shape or form I needed to, in later life helped me greatly and I would do well at maths as I couldn't spoof or bluff this guy.
    Unlike my previous teacher this guy didn't want you learn it from book you had understand why it was the way it was.

Bottom line,which imo is fundamental key to great coaching is you must understand basic concepts of something for it to work. Theory only get you so far.
    Any body can become a book disciple but key is putting the wisdom of theory in to reality.

Some coaches in gaa throughout The country imo coach on what they read or as players are thought but fail to understand concept of coaching something that is a different ball game altogether.
    Good coaches must themselves be coached to coach the skills and coaching imo is a process that can't be rushed you must learn it over time, slowly but surely and you should never run before you can walk.
    It is only the wise man that wears the shoe knows exactly how it fits.

Thats problem in cork imo in some teams, coaches imo some don't understand the concepts of coaching in a skillset and its not their fault entirely as they never got proper coaching themselves and given jobs they shouldn't have imo.

Some cork teams have huge potential in coaches but they never thought or learned basic concepts coaching imo like fitzmaurice learned from cian o Neill or jack o connor so not only is players in cork being hindered from this , young coaching potential could be ruined in they run before they walk, if their careers ends badly they will struggle get top gaa jobs again imo.
    They sub concouisly Could perform skills effortlessly in their sleep as players but trying to adapt in coaching senior elite players a skill and making tactical adaptations in a game flow is a different kettle of fish imo.

Some cork coaches had great energy drive,passion but imo learning of conferences and theory and visions and plans etc Is good to a point but they must must learn from expierenced coach proven in top class coaching tactically with successful teams and in the tactical skill set wise cork hasn't always done that imo with coaches. They appoint coaches with no proven expierence and put them in elite jobs when they had potential possibly but should have worked their way up the system.
    Denis walsh and Brian cuthbhert imo are two examples where they could have been developed but walsh had no expierence at all while cuthbhert should have been moved up to the 21 set up or to a college set up as he's club success wasn't great and imo he still had a journey to travel in becoming a top coach and now imo he Is now in at the deep end in senior coaching.

Take Paudie Kissane as an example.He's slowly learning the coaching process.
    Kissane went to clare, under Sean collins. He learned from hugely expierenced coach and also ex munster man Chris deloze to in the strength and conditioning side of it.

He has learned from ned English and will continue to
    learn from being surrounded by Ricken,Cian o Neill cit etc at cit.
    He's serving he's apprenticeship.
    He won't run before he can walk.
    He understood challenge clare have, improved them in one year, then natural progression went to cit where he will no disrespect clare better talent
    It is just matter time before he takes a top job intercounty.
    Galway be a great job in two years.
    Coaching is a process and a road to the top and imo can't be rushed.

Like me with pytagours I learned I must understand basic concepts therom, cork football management imo needs learn basic concepts of coaching and they would been served better with real proven expierence in the set up last year.

The cork football management seemed to learn now true value of proven coaches now in they have now an experienced coach in pat flanganan but I fear it Is too late in too many mistakes made this year and is Flanagan while very good coach no question, superb record but I just feel there was better coaches in cork at this time.

Ed Coughlan imo could have turned the tide. And set a set statement of intent, fans players imo believed in him, corks very own with a superb record and still involved in modern intercounty team and aidan walsh said he rated him so if walsh rated him imo,then all other cork football team would.

I just don't think flanganan was the perfect fit for cork football but he's top intercounty coach yes and imo a brilliant coach.
    And crucially experience coaches should been added last year as I said from day one to give cork every chance to hit the ground running now cork are trying to catch up to kerry and as we knows thats a dangerous game to play with kerry football.

In regards hurling corks last league game minimum in hurling is 29th March only unknown is if its a Quater Final as if we finish in ist four teams or if we finish in five or sixth a relgation play off at least , if cork win Quater Final it's it's semi final 19th April

If we Get to a league final then our last game Is the 3rd may
    Then the 7th June championship opener is around five weeks later.

My point is simple,a full out assault on winning the league, as a five week gap. Is plenty of time to tailor our championship prepartion then as Waterford being our ist game with the greatest respect to them with their problems cork wont have to peak for that game imo.

This Is the time for realistic planning.
    We know two well munster is not worth winning,it is a actually an hindrance so the league must be taken seriously, got to go and win it but we must add a few players per game.

So imo the three main games are all ireland Quater Final, semi, final in Waterford is a big game but they with poor management, young team, playing in a poor league are no huge danger to cork.

The league games must be strategic and intelligently chosen when to blood young players while maintaining a realistic chance to win them

Kilkenny have to be taken on with cork strongest team and training should be tailored for league games
    Play cahalane at full back as must tested by the best but half back line must be strong.
    One new half forward preferably Callaghan imo.

Next up clare, huge game, I'd expierment with a half back, possible midfielder,and two forwards
    Callaghan would get every game league to allow settle,whether he's poor or not.

Dublin will be in transition and this year they will be understandably be some turbulence before they hit cruise mode so if we win two games we can make maybee four changes but must always keep a central spine, the golden rule in any team in any sport imo.
    This should be a game we aim to win

Galway in the league in Galway are always tricky no matter how bad they are but cork should win this.
    I'd have a strong team that here for this.
    If we get four wins even three we can expierment with the last game v tipp as we should be safe from relgation then and get a top four spot cork get a coveted Quater Final spot.

Limerick, Waterford, Laois I wouldn't fear hughely in a Quater Final from 1b.
    Wexford could be a tough league game imo.
    I'd expect them four teams to qualify from that division imo.
    A league Semi final would be a game I'd train hard for.
    I'd like to win a league but id be happy with a final and a competitive performance unlike our last two appearances.

My expectation in a nutshell for the league is a mininium league final, win wins v kilkenny, Clare, dublin at least and none of the rubbish and complete nonense that was said last year ah its just February, league doesn't matter, just be competitive.
    No no no.

Cork must strive like kilkenny at least to contest league finals.
    No team since 96 when wexford from the lower league an won all ireland so we don't worry bout wexford, or limerick winning it, but while we're in the elite league we simply must take it seriously and don't just go to make up the numbers and just staying up is not an acceptable target anymore imo, the goal posts have sinced moved moved, and now four years on from when jbm came in with walsh and cahalane hurling solely and combine that with the back of the best ever intermediate all ireland cork just won with a young team overall and pa Callaghan added to the panel with lee etc we must simply must thrive for more and more perfection.

In cork hurling the league was once seen as the poor relation in cork hurling not any more, it's now outside the all ireland imo hugely important, the poor relation falls sadly to munster titles

As for  Waterford crystals cup which the draw is I think Is next Thursday week approximately, cork imo must simply must enter a team in the competition and trial out players, not essential we win it but good prepartion for valentines day v Kilkenny where romance goes out the window in to beat the current all ireland and league champions, ruthless conviction will have simply have to be the order of the night in the opening game.

Any romantic or novel sentiments are better left to writing a poem for the significant other imo, hurling comes first.
    Cork hurling has no time now really and truly at the end of the day for any emotional sentiment imo.
    This is a huge week in cork gaa off the field in terms of management appointments Imo and on it in relation to the harty cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

SchoolsFan wrote: »
    Luke Meade, Sean O Donoghue also added to the Senior hurling trading panel

Heard Stephen Murphy and Cathal Cormack of Blackrock also included

Presumably they Are experimenting a bit for Waterford Crystal Tournament

Personally I think it's a good idea building for future, there are gaps on current cork team and JBM was always a good man to give youth its fling

Wednesday 19th November
    Dr. Harty Cup
    Ard Scoil Ris v West Limerick CollegesKilmallock
    Blackwater CS V Thurles CBSClonmel
    St Colmans V DLS WaterfordFraher Field
    Rochestown V St Caimins ShannonCharleville2pm
    Charleville CBS V PS YoughalFermoy
    Hamilton HS Bandon V Midleton CBSChurch Rd
    Nenagh CBS V HS ClonmelTemplemor

Midelton should be too strong for Hamilton but they will have to work very hard but midelton will have huge call huge call to make do we play Andy leahy???
    I wouldn't risk him imo as he's definitely replacement at harty bit not so at all ireland u16 final in which he's huge huge huge player for them and done as well anyone could v Brian mcgrath who was majestic, awesome, impressive sublimity de la creme de la creme schools hurling that masterful display centre back for our lady's Friday

Hes opponent won't be in same league as mcgrath, few are but good counsel irish soccer international u16 Eoin porter cushintown who played soccer ireland with Douglas rising star in football and soccer Eoin Davis son of tony,is brilliant centre back and looks tough opponent our jack walsh inistioege who could play there
    In essence Andy leahy imo hugely important to dean ryan winners I'd rest him and I wouldn't risk jack mcdonnell either in hes hugely important at centre back and could very well be needed to mark another irish soccer international and kilkenny development squads player so I wouldn't risk him starring.

Also ed leahy who had a brilliant game v the excellent fair brother will need to be available for dean winners so he was a sub last harty cup but loose harty they have another chance no chance v good counsel so imo I wouldn't start him as he could very well be needed to mark Rory Higgins rathnure among others whos terrific player for good counsel.

Hamilton have o flynn in goals, kelleher, awesome awesome majestic Chris o leary, the wonderful unbelievable engine Luke meade and Jonathan mulchay at midfield who's battle with butty mccarthy a brilliant brillant player should be epic fascinating and two awesome hurlers,butty will start cork minors next year,and dinneen, Curran,o reilly lethal form up front will test midelton but midelton have class all over the field also in Ian cahill at full back , the brilliant smith,mccarthy, last year nine points dean ryan hero josh besusang, Wonderful looney, bill dunne, broderick will take some beating and garan manley could also be in the fray.
    Could be great game.

Rochestown key players will be v caoimhins griffin, john cashman, kingston, john sullivan will be cork minor two years, powter, and awesome mccormack
    Jack cunningham aron cunningham brother will need to be watched and Rory Hayes clare intercounty will need to be watched by John cashman.
    Agnew is dangerous forward too
    Kingston will need to keep moving imo and I wouldn't box him at full forward in lynch is fine full back

As for youghal v charville key players will be Darragh o brien must imo be full back,not a forward, him and mccarthy be awesome full back line, with young brillant duo half back of Cathal deane and Kevin Murphy just 16,clashmore Eddie o halloran with dalton leading the way should win v charville but can't over rely on Dalton all the time and must imo start the very promising abregendshor, who's a terrific player, strong direct running creates so much space for hes forwards

Charville so start building for next year imo and should start very promising Darragh guiney, john geary also, and with jack Barry, tim o mahony senior newtonshandrum, and young mike hounihan son great limerick hurlers mike they should be strong and I'd blend harty cup team with dean ryan lad's in building for next two years so they can still get lot out of this competition.

Ag mhuire not out this week.

Cork schools flying. And so far my expectation have been meet in dean ryan cup and harty cup so cork schools hurling is getting strong, just matter time for midelton to won harty cup and that's why landers imo loss to minors coaching is coming at wrong time and could be huge set back if not replaced correctly.

Colmans still have a chance unlikely as it is go through but there have young team and it's important likes cork development players dean linehan, hugely promising Jeremy saich and Shane walsh be part winning team so nice Colmans win against a beatable de Le Salle but at same time it's a huge game.

It's expected landers be ratified tonight as senior coach imo, huge risk, could work but huge risk no senior expierence coaching, and massive loss to the minors
    I greatly fear landers is running before he can walk and like my posts yesterday regarding coaching imo it's a process to the top can't be rushed

The paper tonight echo said u21 is set to be announced also but didn't name names which imo sends huge shiver down by spine as always when such quietness and secretary regards cork u21 appointment as seen by ger Fitzgerald and kenneally the quietness before the storm,know they will be disapproval in appointment so nice and low key and rush through appointment so media don't get any news of it
    I hope a u turn is done and we ger great appointment but im hearing teddy mac is in and yes may dress it up by putting hodgins or browne or irwin as manager once teddy is in like I said same and proven right with tom Ryan linemerick u21 and intermediate last year he will want to call the shots and it simply won't work

Im huge fan teddy player my hero but he's record laois,Newcastlewewrt hurling and football and tallow in hurling,sarsfields u21, sarsfields senior, bar exception bandon hurling, kilworth and eire og is appalling in terms of success and also u21 selector before cork 2011 U 21 and also part football management and hurling managements that involved in two strikes so controversy and lack success in management has been with teddy yet wait if he gets it,none media mention poor record or why sarsfields sacked him when he couldn't get them win county yet all we hear is extensive expierence, yes he managed a lot, but he didn't actually win much

If cork go ahead with it yes cork could beat Waterford in one game as even in ger Fitzgerald term cork beat Waterford ist game. Then in 2011 Tipperary then last year with kenneally beat Waterford all ist games, proves more Cork went under radar caught teams cold but in seconds games teams know cork, knows teams, tactics so they easily ambush cork as like last year with kenneally cork don't under poor managers have ability to evolve and adapt after each game, read game at face value, realise even in win problems need solving but stay static and are beaten in second game and mark my word's if management is what I fear it will be cork will fail to win two successive games as management will fail to adapt and evolve team from game to game and we will be too predictable.

It's a  joke u21 appointment is done now,should be done ages ago, when kilkenny have been training preminarly panel under 20lads last threw months for next year,even limerick have 10o and over young hurlers in u13 in six week introduction training plan in academy getting ready tony Forristal next year,many college teams serious training last five weeks for sigerson and fitzgibbon cup,Clare 21hurlers doing a bit work, cork minors football and hurler and limerick minors hurling and cork U21 football are all back training yet u21 hurling haven't done much as can't as waited an age for a manager.
    It doesn't make sense and again there Way off what is expected.
    Fail to prepare prepare to fail.
    Bruff and Cappoquin are both playing in mallow in the intermediate, Cappoquin and Bruff will have also trained there by the time of the game Sunday in all likelihood simply as acclimatisation to the ptich is vital for both teams more so mallow is notoriously on calm days even for swirling wind so you must be aware of it.
    Point is even at club level the level of preparation by teams is top class leave no stone unturned cork gaa teams imo the same always unfortunately can not be said.

It was said in paper meeting county board tonight may mark respect late canon o brien rip, and postpone meeting and that's understandable
    The cork county board all credit due have been great in their praise for what canon done for cork hurling and the canon deserved that praise.

Imo the greatest respect cork hurling could give the canon, the great man and legend cork hurling would get hurling back on track when this great great hurling man wanted cork to be top in hurling and gave hes life and soul to cork hurling.

The paper said Daniel Roche, Dayne Lee, Andy walsh, Stephen Murphy, ciaran cormack have been added water crystal cup panel

Murphy deserves it and I advocated it last year but he will find it hard to break in at corner back in that we have abundance talent at half back, lee, meade,cormack good additions.
    Once Murphy isn't tried at full back or ahane o Neill or maccie moved to full to facilitate Murphy in the corner it's fine.

Brian Murray is not imo up to it in hurling was involved before, poor ucc and bishopstown and like Daniel Roche sarsfields who was very poor v Kilmallock has like haughney lovely loose hurling but lack bite aggression toughness in hurling for senior level imo.
    He would be destroyed by Paul browne or riche Hogan I dread to think what would happen.
    I done fitzgibbon cup report last year and Murray was subbed I said it then ucc had to start someone else ahead of him in he wasn't great against intercounty players yet he's on cork panel.

Andy walsh imo is strange call, imo not up to elite level and done nothing significant in Club.

Sean Hayes, Jamie nagle, colm Barry, Anthony spillane, john cronin, mick walsh recall, Alan dennehy, Eddie Gunning imo must must simply be on it

Bud hartnett got dropped no surprise imo I said from day one nice hurlers but like Roche and Murray will prove and haughney and possibly lawton lacking steel toughness elite senior intercounty v clare and kilkenny of this world

William Egan Is gone travelling, he was seriously in danger place as too long inconsistent but at same time when comes back if he performs I'd monitoring him
    You should only call up players with a realistic chance of making it,some here would struggle imo to make cork intermediate team.
    Cian mccarthy should of been dropped also and indeed lawton and haughney.

Also horgan needs to be taken off frees needs a wake up call, dropped for kilkenny game, and all Waterford crystals cup games as he loves Waterford Crystal he'll glide around with one ten scoring, people think he's a god of hurling then full of praise etc but must realise a player he's talent got to do in big games and he's outgrown Waterford crystals cup comfort zone imo and we need a new captain with Nash, harnedy and walsh only serious candidates imo with my choice walsh or harnedy as their outfield players with walsh just shading harnedy but harnedy is certainly future captain and imo he's time will come and for that reason I'd have him vice captain and no no no no no no no no simply no way pat horgan even comes in consideration for even vice captain over hes poor year for cork from play and appalling county final and last two club games for glen rovers when he was held scoreless from play in three games.
    Pat horgan must realise cork jersey demands more of him if he won't perform I'm sorry but drop him.
    Masters for cork football was dropped for same problems work rate under Counihan and rightly so, time to lay it on the line for pat horgan.
    Cody wouldn't put up with he's poor performance in kilkenny, why should cork.

Just in case anyone wonders why I repeatedly reference kilkenny, its simple seven of the last nine all ireland senior titles they won, the standard bearers cork hurling must simply match and indeed do even better to win the all ireland.

TTM you mention Eoin Davis son of Tony Davis ...brother of Jamie ....what age is he ? where does he play ...thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

@TTM1: Teddy won't be involved, as far as I know

@TTM1: Teddy won't be involved, as far as I know

Jesus Denis that's great news thanks very much he was in the running
    Who will get it?

TTM you mention Eoin Davis son of Tony Davis ...brother of Jamie ....what age is he ? where does he play ...thanks .

Only 15 or so I'd imagine
    He's meant to brilliant at soccer I haven't seen him play soccer

One wexford lad's told me at hurling game as they mentioned porter soccer and their player

Forward he is brother Jamie i think cousin Kevin

Douglas have another lad there also kabia. Father played cork city I think can't think father ist name he was a striker

He plays gaa but meant to be fine soccer player also kabia is meant to be

Jesus Denis that's great news thanks very much he was in the running
    Who will get it?

Due to be announced soon, but I've been told Teddy's not among the new selectors - unless he'll be coach without being a selector

Due to be announced soon, but I've been told Teddy's not among the new selectors - unless he'll be coach without being a selector

Fair enough thanks

Just one??

Who was kabia played cork city in the past he was striker you don't know he's ist name by any chance please

• Advertisement

Liam Hayes is a good addition to the U21s .....Landers gets the big call up ....big loss to the minors .

Delighted liam Hayes is In advocated that when he had intermediate all ireland win
    Real real hurling man,prepartion is King with him.

Great call

As for irwin I'm happy with that, and browne hodgins it's not as bad as initially feared

Okay now all credit due I'd prefer coach that won club however this is much better we had and gives me huge hope going forward

As for intermediate I remain to be convinced by dwayne, wasn't great in carrigtwohill, has done well at schools midelton alright

Ronan sheehan won mallow intermediate football years ago about six I think and I think won a munster or got a final so he should be okay
    Has good appreciation game
    Id like to see johnny keane in their but it's okay
    I won't rate dwayne this year to be fair as he has huge ask without last year's team and if we play tipp it will be away so reserve judgement til year two as next year is daunting task

With sheehan there hopefully Sean Hayes be on intermediate panel next year as well as the u21

Im happy that particularly Hayes in he knows few intermediate lad's so should offer contuinty to u21

Landers i wish nothing but the best, great underage coach, minors also but my concern is not much senior, and huge step up in cork hurling expect to win now in year four
    Huge huge loss to the minors I have faith ring will bring in a good guy but it's hard to see who is fits the bill and is available.
    I just hope mark hits the ground running.
    He was ruthless at minor making hard calls so hopefully its the same here

It's a disruption momentum with minors who imo has huge chance of getting to munster final
    The coach appointment is crucial.
    I'd say landers won't hang about in finding a replacement.

Thanks for that Denis much appreciated and for answer my??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Frank Murphy contract extended to oversee redevelopment of PUC. No doubt when tis done they'll extend his contract so he can be the "caretaker".

only in Cork :mad:

Did Pa O Callaghan get a call up to the senior hurlers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Best of luck to the new appointees,huge tasks ahead will be interesting to see who replaces landers at minor. Last cb meeting before convention thank god frank stays onto oversee the white elephant!!!!
    Has flanagan been confirmed as a coach with footballers?if so why hasnt there been an official announcement like with the hurlers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Frank Murphy contract extended to oversee redevelopment of PUC. No doubt when tis done they'll extend his contract so he can be the "caretaker".

only in Cork :mad:

In 2009, we were told he would wait on until 2011, to allow enough time to find a successor but that he would then be stepping down, no later than 2011. It's now nearly 2015.... I have only one question. WHY? (Don't talk rubbish about redevelopment and so on..)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/guest-all-ireland/where-retirement-isnt-an-option-242485.html

I presume it's same Damien irwin as he wrote that as killeagh also

Lot truth what he says breed people Killeagh, there fine people, great real hurling people.

I would have huge belief in landers is strong character and has real values at heart and Is real real hurling man is a leader and passionate and is ruthless, excellent drills and tempo as said last year with minors

My concern only is it too soon in I always saw him as 21 manager next
    And is he tactical nous we crave for????
    And we'll he go against traditional game and play possession game
    Huge success Killeagh u21
    It's a risk imo I wouldn't taken as cork can't take risks but he certainly Is not like football in huge huge risk this guy has qualities in coaching
    I been on the phone all evening and what I saw and I'm told landers top top top coach only concern is is it too early
    Time will tell but as he's done well wherever he's been I will give him my total support hes now available in the role as he wants win he doesn't do second best

As for irwin good article he's good hurling man played Killeagh up to few years junior him himself

He's close to landers so should be real continuity between two and huge plus cork hurling going forward in for once a tangent of direction in straight line can correlation between senior and 21 in that both teams play same style and operate same system and almost direct transiton from u21 to senior

So far so good
    I normally don't buy talk lark but my instinct gives me a scent he's articulate, understanding values and honesty in game huge start from he's piece

Doubts I have are has irwin coached managed anyone????
    Like landers expierence in role is a worry
    However both seem intelligent, shrewd characters so hopefully they will learn fast
    Hayes will help irwin also in I think irwin will be Gary kirby, davy fitz type manage team but others do coaching
    Last year tactical set up intermediate was outstanding before games, changing players next game crucially in semi and final reading a game in flow so huge huge tactical nous from Hayes here

Hayes doesn't do reputations or limelight he wants to win
    Had cork intermediate playing challenge v Wexford reply senior cork Waterford game in didn't care bout senior in he had job to do focus he's own house, very rarely in limelight but christ above he travelled length breadth county selector looking players, was in mallow one night pouring rain ducks would not even go out, or I'd walk my dog in but I was there cork v clare ist challenge match 21, Hayes was there observing both clare and he's team

He says very little but shrewd out
    Huge respect from any player under him
    Terrific choice

It's same selection as last year with main change in Hayes in for kenneally which is a huge difference and irwin pulling the strings

Teddy was meant to be in the running, wondered what happened but it's irrelevant to be honest in this set up better than last year

Intermediates I felt could been better bit selectors are okay, some one like christy connerry even a proven winning coach

Dwayne has he chance so time will tell but I'm not convinced to be honest.

Year two is year to judge next year it is very difficult over stupid rule changing team
    Ronan sheehan is huge addition there imo.
    Just look at mallow football and hurling the last few years.
    Sheehan done huge feat in after relgation won intermediate in 2007 beat Nemo on way, lost munster to annaacaul.
    But he done he fine job in uniting mallow, brought them weekend lahinch as bonding session as knew talent was not or never problem in mallow it was playing as a team not individuals.
    He got every inch out of them playing good football

Lost minors all ireland football two cork, won minor hurling 86and 21 in 88 captain junior all ireland football in 93 I think beat wexford
    Pat o connell was their last year so it's not too bad

Minors Sean huge void to fill but I trust ring in he's always done well clubs, minors etc

Highly unlikely Declan Fitzgerald be available in he apparently with drom inch for another year but you never know

Ring would be aware him in he won dean ryan under ring at Colmans

Pat Ryan I doubt be available
    Pat mulchay if available would be ideal choice but can he commit and if newtown need coach would he go there

O grady be good coach. Peter cody, noel furlong is highly rated but apparently he could join cunningham at later stage
    He's with ucc
    Jerry Wallis Is with limerick for year unlikely he'd leave

Pat hartnett, Fergal ryan maybee???
    Alwuyn kearney may be brave move young coach but hughely rated still playing but doing great midelton and could be good choice
    At least we have ring still I just felt ring and landers could been Fred astire ginger rogers partnership in bringing minor hurling back to the promised land in terms of a perfection of harmony, telepathic cohesion working together that had a dynamic lovely state of equilibrium that worked beautifully and could bring tears of enjoyment to the eye of the beholder

Ha ha photo Kissane funny one cork gaa lighter moments

Sean, pat flanganan is definitely in as coach, I have no idea why it didn't need same ratification as landers or why landers did when jbm picks own selectors.
    Not bad night overall, yes I have liked more experienced but I have hope and bit belief in u21 this time last year I had none at all
    Not bad night, I'm cautious optimism and relived tonight as cork gaa fan with concerns yes but no where near huge negativity I had in previous appointments.

• Advertisement

Rochestown 16 beat caoimhins thirteen

Qualified terrific result I do report later great day cork wchools

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement