Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'd agree willie beating waterford however imo yesterday would not meant cork were serious contenders to kk in I'm more disgusted with cork kk in the ist game the lack of desire hunger etc to yesterday as cork have to show a marker v KK and have lost lot to them where beating waterford again after dominated them senior past few years plus won under twenty one and pushed allow Ireland minor team to extra time poorly coached cork means cork can pick choose games v Waterford to win imo

Winning yesterday was no marker for the all Ireland unless it was tipp or kk imo
    remember the Waterford crystal cup v limerick I critsed cork not picking serious team to win and played lot new guys and my point was cork needed senior starters get game time for KK

They didn't
    Yesterday imo cork couldn't go all out to win as Waterford up next but gave lads like Ellis Murphy who hadn't trained much game time get back to scratch and Ellis blowing hard showed how unfit he was
    Cork were no way ten points worse than waterford

Problems yesterday showed why cork won't win all Ireland unless fixed lack depth of subs
    However limerick waterford Galway all hsve problems so there is nothing to say cork can't be top four and shows nothing to fear with Waterford yet
    All Ireland is judge of cork but beating waterford in munster final imo is where it starts and I'd been playing coughlan Spillane Ryan etc munster final if cork get there

Reading Mcdonnell interview and jbm and watching the game again imo shows cork were indeed holding back

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭youngbob

i agree 100% with you sean mac. if harnedy is out we're in big trouble
    hurling is played with skill speed of thought & lots of effort harnedy brings that to every match he can't be replaced.the are very few you can say that about in this team, maybe ellis & keerney. our top scorer hoggy gets the majority of scores which lehane could take but sheamy is our main man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Munster U16 A INTER DIVISIONAL FINAL IMOKILLY V SEANDUN

If they've finally got the city underage hurling organised as it should be it will be massive going forward for Cork.

sean mac wrote: »
    TTM, comparing cork hurlers with Kerry footballers is comparing apples with oranges. Any big game Kerry footballers get to they PERFORM, they never give up, they are rarely mastered on the sideline. This cork team RARELY perform in big days, now 4 out of 5 finals lost with JBM, sometimes give up ala tipp last year and yesterday and have NEVER tactically frightened another team.
    JBM has got them as far as any manager can, but this team are way off being where they should be, walsh again during the week giving interview after interview about how he is focuse and improved and again against top class hurlers he is found wanting. A full back line in real trouble and how people can brush over conor osullivan leaving as a by the by is unreal. We now have a fella who plays centre back or centre forward with his club who hasn't played a competitive game for cork in 5 years starting full back because at the end of year 2 we realise the fella we have given game after game to istn anywhere near the level required. -Chaotic stuff.
    Sure cork will be better in 5 weeks, why there is an assumption by some cork people that wateford wont also be better is beyond me.
    TTm,like you I don't think Lawton is up to this level, but JBM does and he is number 17/18 for cork every game and will be again in 5 weeks. If harnedy is out cork will not win. We now have a recurring issue with cork players pulling hamstrings - why?
    Lot valid points but yesterday game in question is the league game and I can give you plenty games cork football in league kerry showed no interest and kerry v monaghan showed none either and kerry pick choose their games

Loosing to waterford as Mcdonnell said no confidence blow at all at all and tell me how beating waterford had effect winning v KK none
    Those isn't limerick in the had to get promoted

Totally agree regards with sullivan and lawton and subs
    Full back be fair last two three years I was only one imo constant blame management for it however the year who else can thru try sean

who is better than aidan Ryan please
    Cahalane struggled injury
    Spillane also just back
    Joyce injured
    Mcdonnell it o Neill no
    Ryan was a good call and forget bout playing half forward club imp in i said it all year midelton won Ryan washy half forward
    He has presence and hurling and played centre back for club and notice how no goal chances given when he was there
    None and he was solid under the high ball
    Ist time unit had a full neck of old in there they were fine even in unorthodox style

Walsh has lord to so but was right has get up to speed but he wasn't the only one yesterday

Now let's be honest you said at the start of this years waterford were doomed and you didn't rate mcgrath
    So yes they done well but are you that naive to actually day all concerns your have are now gone based on what exactly?!
    Yes showed improvement but hardly looked invincibility in the ist half
    Surely your know from cork football that be cautious false dawns
    Waterford have improved yes but the talk that some have cork have huge concerns imo I'd ways of its waterford were playing not clsre kk in championship

How can they improve??
    All wides they're have has been seriously issue all league and won't improve in rigid system they play so mcgrath has a dilemma in its not easy for him to change the team or style after winning national title and it will imo take defeat before they adapt furthermore as they're won't change for cork where cork deliberately went orthodox yesterday long ball and showed no absolutely none intent to play and bypass the sweeper but have no choice to change forward the next day

Cork are in a much much better position than people realise imo and looking at the players yesterday didn't seem too despondent in defeat

And please don't go down old ground where once trainer is not from cork your lament him as clearly day one you critsed David Matthew training in any defeat yet here we go again
    Hamstring common in gaa more so demand players all games not specifically on Matthews training which imo what your hinting at
    You want example other counties hamstring problems I give you examples

I know you're don't like other counties trainers coming cork but don't let it cloud your judgement
    You from day one critsed pat flangan let's be clear your critsed him with well proven record and during league yer now cork winning he was great
    I critsed flangan in coaching is was there said wouldn't work in from kerry worried about balance being main coach but training wise h would be fine and as turns out training has been fine but lack coaching football has the problem with

And imo David Matthews training is excellent and has been in four years, nothing to do with tactics or injuries it's on player burn out
    Matthews training I's not the reason cork have hamstring problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lot valid points but yesterday game in question is the league game and I can give you plenty games cork football in league kerry showed no interest and kerry v monaghan showed none either and kerry pick choose their games

Loosing to waterford as Mcdonnell said no confidence blow at all at all and tell me how beating waterford had effect winning v KK none
    Those isn't limerick in the had to get promoted

Totally agree regards with sullivan and lawton and subs
    Full back be fair last two three years I was only one imo constant blame management for it however the year who else can thru try sean

who is better than aidan Ryan please
    Cahalane struggled injury
    Spillane also just back
    Joyce injured
    Mcdonnell it o Neill no
    Ryan was a good call and forget bout playing half forward club imp in i said it all year midelton won Ryan washy half forward
    He has presence and hurling and played centre back for club and notice how no goal chances given when he was there
    None and he was solid under the high ball
    Ist time unit had a full neck of old in there they were fine even in unorthodox style

Walsh has lord to so but was right has get up to speed but he wasn't the only one yesterday

Now let's be honest you said at the start of this years waterford were doomed and you didn't rate mcgrath
    So yes they done well but are you that naive to actually day all concerns your have are now gone based on what exactly?!
    Yes showed improvement but hardly looked invincibility in the ist half
    Surely your know from cork football that be cautious false dawns
    Waterford have improved yes but the talk that some have cork have huge concerns imo I'd ways of its waterford were playing not clsre kk in championship

How can they improve??
    All wides they're have has been seriously issue all league and won't improve in rigid system they play so mcgrath has a dilemma in its not easy for him to change the team or style after winning national title and it will imo take defeat before they adapt furthermore as they're won't change for cork where cork deliberately went orthodox yesterday long ball and showed no absolutely none intent to play and bypass the sweeper but have no choice to change forward the next day

Cork are in a much much better position than people realise imo and looking at the players yesterday didn't seem too despondent in defeat

And please don't go down old ground where once trainer is not from cork your lament him as clearly day one you critsed David Matthew training in any defeat yet here we go again
    Hamstring common in gaa more so demand players all games not specifically on Matthews training which imo what your hinting at
    You want example other counties hamstring problems I give you examples

I know you're don't like other counties trainers coming cork but don't let it cloud your judgement
    You from day one critsed pat flangan let's be clear your critsed him with well proven record and during league yer now cork winning he was great
    I critsed flangan in coaching is was there said wouldn't work in from kerry worried about balance being main coach but training wise h would be fine and as turns out training has been fine but lack coaching football has the problem with
    Mcdonnell the 6 time AI champion and 3 all star awards saying he's not worried by losing a league final, this Cork team have enough medals and awards to dismiss the league.

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Mcdonnell the 6 time AI champion and 3 all star awards saying he's not worried by losing a league final, this Cork team have enough medals and awards to dismiss the league.

Mcdonnell was outstanding all last years for cork and showed no interest yesterday and as he did it's blessing disguise
    Of course waterford serious all Ireland contenders have I heard this morning shefflin coming out retirement and jj as cody belived louganne last night waterford dark horses for the all Ireland

Remember Dublin won a league and done nothing after it

This is going to be bit of a shock when the real cork show up in June

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/massive-surge-in-hamstring-injuries-as-gaa-teams-push-over-the-edge-314525.html

There you go sean to answer your question
    A common problem related to all gaa teams with issue being work load and volume not exclusively linked to cork hurlers which is what you were meaning or has nothing do with Matthews training in more to do with work load and players training and games they have had play which outside Matthews control

Mcdonnell was outstanding all last years for cork and showed no interest yesterday and as he did it's blessing disguise
    Of course waterford serious all Ireland contenders have I heard this morning shefflin coming out retirement and jj as cody belived louganne last night waterford dark horses for the all Ireland

Remember Dublin won a league and done nothing after it

This is going to be bit of a shock when the real cork show up in June
    I've never mentioned the All Ireland to you, or on the Waterford forum. But you are showing no respect to Waterford, I still think Kilkenny and Tipp are ahead of us. But I don't understand how you can defend this Cork this so much, fair enough they won the munster last year, but you have talked about the faults of TJ Ryan here a number of times, so was beating Limerick really that much of an achievement to you? Ye had a big test against Tipp last year and got blown out the gate.... really you can't afford to be throwing away League finals...the match in June is 50/50 at best for ye... not playing the odds well

I've never mentioned the All Ireland to you, or on the Waterford forum. But you are showing no respect to Waterford, I still think Kilkenny and Tipp are ahead of us. But I don't understand how you can defend this Cork this so much, fair enough they won the munster last year, but you have talked about the faults of TJ Ryan here a number of times, so was beating Limerick really that much of an achievement to you? Ye had a big test against Tipp last year and got blown out the gate.... really you can't afford to be throwing away League finals...the match in June is 50/50 at best for ye... not playing the odds well

See your changing the target of debate to suit needs fair enough though
    In Waterford thread talk is waterford will win all Ireland and ahead cork ten points
    No their not

Seen you mentioned limerick well limerick have said win all Irelands I always said cork had concerns and said it last year many know cork need tactical change and what I seen some games we had it
    And will do v Waterford in championship but nothing be learned beating yere sweeper system yesterday imo

This been ist test imo this year was kk cork failed

All the other league games cork were fine bar tipperary where yes it was not good
    However cork have done well higher division in hurling than tj Ryan and jbm records is better and cork been top four team under jbm at worst and point is cork while huge concerns all Ireland imo nothing show cork won't be top four this year and Waterford one real win to degree v tipp will be when league division two teams are poor and Galway are hardly great

You seem to think just cause teams wins game when another shows lack interest they deserve respect
    I'm sorry but no they dont
    Do kerry respect cork in championship after league football no and ask any donegal fan do respect cork football after semi final no they don't when donegal had one eye on Tyrone and donegal had beat cork in early rounds dominated cork until Murphy sending off
    I'm a cork man but won't be offended by them as I admire their honesty and I'd rather it to be honest

I am never in to false dawns
    Yes national league means lot you fair enough and I congratulations ye many times but keep it in perspective in yesterday was no where near championship and imo would mot idea it as a judge
    If it's was kk fair enough but it wasn't
    But we'll agree to disagree as myself yourself wont agree this matter
    I geuinely respect your view though as s your be fair long time waterford poster even in bad days you always post and your big in to underage and I respect that totally

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

I sincerley hope the real Cork do show up in five weeks or its going to be a long summer. I would be very concerned by players not being bothered by and showing no interest. Cork have been masters of preperation in the past and have always peaked when they needed to, We need to look beyond Waterford and see the bigger picture. This group of Cork players have punched above their weight in recent seasons and are not as accomplished as one would think, bar Nash,Horgan lehane and Harnedy not to many of the remainder would make Cork teams of the past. We have one forward who can win his own ball and finish the others have to have the ball given to them. Waterford gave youth and strenght its chance and they were impressive and controlled. I dont buy Cork throwing any game but we were physically dismal. Our problems lie in the lack of balance throughout the side. We have a midfielder who despite being a super athlete is a very limited hurler, touch is appaling and striking is poor, forwards who are pushed off balls and cant break tackles and a traditionalist approach that has not produced an all Ireland since 2005. SInce the injury to Joyce we have struggled with the fullback position and despite attempts we have not found one. Despite the Cork mans inherent optimism of it will be alright on the day I for one would be very worried.

• Advertisement

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-i-used-to-practice-kicking-points-blindfolded-i-was-impossible-to-block-down-31191076.html

Brolly may upset cork fans when he mention cork at the end but he's absolutely spot on and you look this cork teams he right all the division league cork motto is is hand pass and when kick pass it's too late and that is imo down to picking players that can't kick and unfairly expect them play a game they can't but also potential young talents lack coaching kerry have imo and Dublin in to develop those footballers to the next level as current cork set up lack proven football coach and even counihan era lacked top quality proven one as some kick passing skills were awful and it was always hand pass

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

I just watched back the game and i hope the Aidan Ryan at no 3 with respect to him will stop its not going to work that first point Waterford scored he was turned too easy ...its the most demanding position on the field fair play to the guy but this is not going to work ...whats the story injury wise with Colm Spillane ?

Id agree seventh mushrooms theory not good for cork never was but this game imo difference as we play same team trove and nothing wrong physical wise cork beat limerick last year or clare or intensity wise

See your changing the target of debate to suit needs fair enough though
    In Waterford thread talk is waterford will win all Ireland and ahead cork ten points
    No their not

Seen you mentioned limerick well limerick have said win all Irelands I always said cork had concerns and said it last year many know cork need tactical change and what I seen some games we had it
    And will do v Waterford in championship but nothing be learned beating yere sweeper system yesterday imo

This been ist test imo this year was kk cork failed

All the other league games cork were fine bar tipperary where yes it was not good
    However cork have done well higher division in hurling than tj Ryan and jbm records is better and cork been top four team under jbm at worst and point is cork while huge concerns all Ireland imo nothing show cork won't be top four this year and Waterford one real win to degree v tipp will be when league division two teams are poor and Galway are hardly great

You seem to think just cause teams wins game when another shows lack interest they deserve respect
    I'm sorry but no they dont
    Do kerry respect cork in championship after league football no and ask any donegal fan do respect cork football after semi final no they don't when donegal had one eye on Tyrone and donegal had beat cork in early rounds dominated cork until Murphy sending off
    I'm a cork man but won't be offended by them as I admire their honesty and I'd rather it to be honest

I am never in to false dawns
    Yes national league means lot you fair enough and I congratulations ye many times but keep it in perspective in yesterday was no where near championship and imo would mot idea it as a judge
    If it's was kk fair enough but it wasn't
    But we'll agree to disagree as myself yourself wont agree this matter
    I geuinely respect your view though as s your be fair long time waterford poster even in bad days you always post and your big in to underage and I respect that totally
    Ah come on, you're posting on the Waterford thread a long time, you know who the genuine posters are and respect their opinion, there's a few lads who were excited yesterday is all. There's nobody talking about All Irelands, all we're doing in concentrating on reaching the Munster final for first time since 2011. But we did win a league title and it's a big achievement. It's like Kerry football slagging Cork football all through the years when Cork won Munster and Kerry say "the big prize is in Croke Park, munster is not important to us" That's how it's like when ye're saying ye showed no interest yesterday

I'm reminded of the famous story when Waterford beat Kilkenny in 2007, Cody walked into the KK dressing room and said "that's the last game ye'll lose this year" and walked straight back out. He was sickened to lose it, I think that's the attitude to have...to drive you on. I'm not sure where Cork will find inspiration by throwing away finals

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    I just watched back the game and i hope the Aidan Ryan at no 3 with respect to him will stop its not going to work that first point Waterford scored he was turned too easy ...its the most demanding position on the field fair play to the guy but this is not going to work ...whats the story injury wise with Colm Spillane ?

Ist game full back how many goals did he conceded none
    How many goal chances none
    He was always going give up few points but no goals was the objective

Only second game no training league was fine
    It's been said numerous times here Spillane is just back from injury but remains be seen if can stay free

For all the talk Ryan is not the answer who is the best option if cahalane is injured!?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

We may or may not beat Waterford the next day but what realy worrys me about these players is the fight ...Brendan Cummins said it the paper on Saturday that he has no problem putting up the hand for the ball with these Cork players ...but he would neaver do it when Sully the Rock and Ronan Curran were around ! that for me is it... like our footballers we have too many "NICE" players playing and unlees we get tougher we are going no where ...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

We may or may not beat Waterford the next day but what realy worrys me about these players is the fight ...Brendan Cummins said it the paper on Saturday that he has no problem putting up the hand for the ball with these Cork players ...but he would neaver do it when Sully the Rock and Ronan Curran were around ! that for me is it... like our footballers we have too many "NICE" players playing and unlees we get tougher we are going no where ...

Nail on the head a true rebel.

Ah come on, you're posting on the Waterford thread a long time, you know who the genuine posters are and respect their opinion, there's a few lads who were excited yesterday is all. There's nobody talking about All Irelands, all we're doing in concentrating on reaching the Munster final for first time since 2011. But we did win a league title and it's a big achievement. It's like Kerry football slagging Cork football all through the years when Cork won Munster and Kerry say "the big prize is in Croke Park, munster is not important to us" That's how it's like when ye're saying ye showed no interest yesterday

I'm reminded of the famous story when Waterford beat Kilkenny in 2007, Cody walked into the KK dressing room and said "that's the last game ye'll lose this year" and walked straight back out. He was sickened to lose it, I think that's the attitude to have...to drive you on. I'm not sure where Cork will find inspiration by throwing away finals
    Once bitten twice shy cotk will find plenty motivation beat the so called media plaudits new princes of hurling.I

You fail to see that's yere been blown up for a fall
    The media love waterford winning new romantic story so they will laud them as course gives the division two hurling debate cause now not be changed they winning as it be said any team win league now when look like two years ago one off all Ireland all under dogs doing well no division two teams regularly win league

It's bad for limerick in no way after Waterford winning will league be changed now imo

I read interview last week the day before cork Dublin with headlines cork football developing new potent cocktail or something like that and I said imo lazy journalism in go with the hype
    I didn't belive it as it was a kerry man wrote it but hsve no doubt lot naive fans thought cork were the real seal til ten minutes in to the game it was a rude awakening when cork were never as good as being made out to be

Cork cocktail was imo weaker than water
    Waterford been lauded as prince of hurling etc the real deal with no real justifying logic imo as same was said Dublin after their league win and nothing was won
    Waterford need to keep its realistic as yesterday was a step but hardly top of the ladder the way the talk is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

Am I right in thinking that there are lads over the last few pages of this forum that think it was better that Cork didn't win yesterday than get one over Waterford by giving a good performance before they play them in Munster?

On the line was their first national title in 10 years, their first league title in 17 years, and only their second inter-county title (including last years Munster) since 2006? Since the 2006 AI, Waterford (4), Dublin (2), Galway(2), and of course Tipp and Kilkenny, have more trophies in total than Cork. Limerick and Clare have won the same amount (1) as Cork in that time.

Are there actually some in Cork that believe Cork are above winning national trophies in order to keep a bit of mystery to win a Munster game against the same opponents? Are this Cork team insecure that they don't have to win trophies in order to surprise the opposition when they play them next?

Well that's some bulls**t attitude if that's the thinking of some, I never thought not winning a trophy would be alright in Cork. And if that is the thinking of the Cork management (which I sincerely doubt it could ever be), I'd imagine Cork will be having a short summer if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

randd1 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that there are lads over the last few pages of this forum that think it was better that Cork didn't win yesterday than get one over Waterford by giving a good performance before they play them in Munster?

On the line was their first national title in 10 years, their first league title in 17 years, and only their second inter-county title (including last years Munster) since 2006? Since the 2006 AI, Waterford (4), Dublin (2), Galway(2), and of course Tipp and Kilkenny, have more trophies in total than Cork. Limerick and Clare have won the same amount (1) as Cork in that time.

Are there actually some in Cork that believe Cork are above winning national trophies in order to keep a bit of mystery to win a Munster game against the same opponents? Are this Cork team insecure that they don't have to win trophies in order to surprise the opposition when they play them next?

Well that's some bulls**t attitude if that's the thinking of some, I never thought not winning a trophy would be alright in Cork. And if that is the thinking of the Cork management (which I sincerely doubt it could ever be), I'd imagine Cork will be having a short summer if that's the case.

I completely agree.

What has people curious I think though is there was a serious lack of intensity and no discernible gameplan to counteract what they knew was coming from Waterford's system. Even just the lack of changes when it was going wrong but we were still somewhat in the game.

Now I suppose the question is was that 'by design' so to speak or was it a failure of management. I don't know the answer really but I don't think either answer is particularly good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Im struggling to see the logic in cork not going for the league and dosent tie in with the celebration after the semi final and surely they are capable of coming ip with 2 game plans to win both games even though I suspect cork may win the championship game it dosent look at the minute that they will win any other silverware

How can your question the fight after Dublin game when you're lauded the spirt then
    Point was cork wanted to beat Dublin as never good record knowlan perk meant lot win up there that day and had set marker new Dublin
    Then waterford beat tipp after so it changed

Anyone looking at cork bench sullivan kearney lawton Mccarthy needs realise no way we have depth kk to go full on beat Waterford twice and landers jbm fully aware cork have concerns so they held back imo

When I heard jbm reference this was a flop like KK league finals I knew then he was playing mind games
    No way was yesterday bad that game as that game was over after ten minute yesterday game was there to half tile
    Cork didn't conceded three goals or so then
    Cork actually solved full back to point yesterday but lot things cork do well didn't do showed imo lack interest as cork even v clare all Irelands sweeper always scored a lot and always mainly score well but yesterday half effort still got sixteen points so way more in cork and Waterford sweeper is like clare certainly not better but Waterford are no way as fluent counter attacking as clare

keep going wrote: »
    Im struggling to see the logic in cork not going for the league and dosent tie in with the celebration after the semi final and surely they are capable of coming ip with 2 game plans to win both games even though I suspect cork may win the championship game it dosent look at the minute that they will win any other silverware
    I am amazed I still need to say this

When cork players beat Dublin , it was
    Before tipp game so once waterford won everything changed
    Also the jubilant jbm was impressed in emotions getting the victory from the jaws defeat with disrupted half back line and the fact their is no great love between him and cunningham while never as bad as made out to be they never got, on its well known in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

I am amazed I still need to say this

When did cork players Dublin
    Before tipp game so once waterford won everything changed
    Also the jubilant jbm was impressed in emotions getting victory jaws defeat with disrupted half back line and fact no great love between him and cunningham while never bad as made out to be they never got on its well known in cork

What in the hell are you trying to say?

Are you drunk, stoned, or is auto-correct on or something, I can't make head nor tail of it. You're normally a very decent poster to read.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I completely agree.

What has people curious I think though is there was a serious lack of intensity and no discernible gameplan to counteract what they knew was coming from Waterford's system. Even just the lack of changes when it was going wrong but we were still somewhat in the game.

Now I suppose the question is was that 'by design' so to speak or was it a failure of management. I don't know the answer really but I don't think either answer is particularly good.

Well if it was design management I don't see a problems imo
    If this was kk I'd be fuming in cork have laying down intent
    But the real point is what would cork learned showing full hand beating waterford as Mcdonnell said loosing won't affect confidence when cork recently always enjoyed mostly the upper hand
    Last year cork humiliating defeat waterford league made cork huge favourite for ist game and Waterford actually way more hunger
    Once bitten twice shy cork now closer turn around til then know waterford will be a challenge so imo held back as make no mistake all the pressure on waterford

Waterford talking today they will become more attack minded for June course they talk the talking
    I can't see their system changing in five weeks and if so means change in imo few players being dropped and that won't happen so mcgrath has a dilemma imo can't really change cork hands forced to change and will

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Well if it was design management I don't see a problems imo
    If this was kk I'd be fuming in cork have laying down intent
    But the real point is what would cork learned showing full hand beating waterford as Mcdonnell said loosing won't affect confidence when cork recently always enjoyed mostly the upper hand
    Last year cork humiliating defeat waterford league made cork huge favourite for ist game and Waterford actually way more hunger
    Once bitten twice shy cork now closer turn around til then know waterford will be a challenge so imo held back as make no mistake all the pressure on waterford

Waterford talking today they will become more attack minded for June course they talk the talking
    I can't see their system changing in five weeks and if so means change in imo few players being dropped and that won't happen so mcgrath has a dilemma imo can't really change cork hands forced to change and will

I do see your train of thought but if you're right there's a lot of questions.

Is this JBM's way of saying that Cork can't beat Warerford twice in a row?

I personally wouldn't be happy if Cork were willing to give up a league title to gain some sort of tactical edge for a Munster championship game. I think it sends a bad message to the players as well as making a joke of the 18,000 people who paid in to watch.

Why bother playing the likes of Murphy and Cadogan who were big injury risks?
    Why not see what the likes of Anthony Spillane or Killian Burke can do instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Glad to see people still treating Waterford like a nothing team, Write us off at your peril, look at the quality in our team on our day we can beat anyone we aren't favorites for Munter or the AI but if you think we have no chance at either your being naive, People are talking about the system but look at some of the individual quality in the team, Austin Gleeson and Kevin Moran's points had nothing to do with a system they were sheer quality points, Waterford are in a far better place then Cork at the moment, if Cork want to delude themselves with some theory that they lost on purpose they can but the harsh truth is nobody goes out with the intention of loosing a final, Cork were beaten in every area of the field by a team still in development, If i was a cork supporter i'd be very worried they don't seem to have enough quality in the team to win an AI IMO.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I do see your train of thought but if you're right there's a lot of questions.

Is this JBM's way of saying that Cork can't beat Warerford twice in a row?

I personally wouldn't be happy if Cork were willing to give up a league title to gain some sort of tactical edge for a Munster championship game. I think it sends a bad message to the players as well as making a joke of the 18,000 people who paid in to watch.

Why bother playing the likes of Murphy and Cadogan who were big injury risks?
    Why not see what the likes of Anthony Spillane or Killian Burke can do instead?
    Wasn't that were great risks but as Ellis proved he badly needs games
    Murphy needed games to sharpen he's hurling so yesterday was ideal that respect
    Look at end day management need to plan accordingly
    That's the way the leagues is in football look at false dawns
    Up to fans like in kerry to be wise and realistic too know when a game is of such value

Dublin took football seriously as did cotk in both had no real test for months
    Cotk hurling had no such luxury
    I posted here half time and after game yesterday as I didn't go Thurles or donegal football simply cause imo knew those games wouldn't be full contests in its clear to see donegal would hold back and imo after cotk getting fright last year by waterford were going to be erring on the side of caution

Unfortunately mind games have become huge part of gaa in sport now
    It's sport

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/mind-games-pay-dividends-327050.html
    Looks here's a perspective on very good manager
    He had do what's right for he's team

No one said cork threw the game no
    Point was though cork were playing within themselves as look at even Longford v offaly lastly weekend Longford beaten them already and were playing then few weeks later championship so no way Longford wanted go to that game off two wins v same opponent

They didn't throw the game but used it as a exercise to try things. And winning was not the bee and end all
    Jbm felt hype got to cotk v tipperary last year now I don't think that was main reason cork were humiliated but jbm imo I don't think that worried now

The hype regards Waterford will be no ends imo as you can see by some talking in some fans never support them are now experts and there now able to beat anyone on their day which shows the huge hype this young team have to face in Thurles in five weeks and cotk as we can see are being written off by all so imagine your Walsh. Kearney, o Neill, Nash,Mcdonnell harnedy etc while don't have all Ireland have won more championship waterford have last few years game wise so haven't absolutely no fear waterford

Look waterford want belive the huge hype I say let them and blow them up as they refuse to take realistic views so look June won't be long coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/mind-games-pay-dividends-327050.html
    Looks here's a perspective on very good manager
    He had do what's right for he's team

No one said cork threw the game no
    Point was though cork were playing within themselves as look at even Longford v offaly lastly weekend Longford beaten them already and were playing then few weeks later championship so no way Longford wanted go to that game off two wins v same opponent

They didn't throw the game but used it as a exercise to try things. And winning was not the bee and end all
    Jbm felt hype got to cotk v tipperary last year now I don't think that was main reason cork were humiliated but jbm imo I don't think that worried now

The hype regards Waterford will be no ends imo as you can see by some talking in some fans never support them are now experts and there now able to beat anyone on their day which shows the huge hype this young team have to face in Thurles in five weeks and cotk as we can see are being written off by all so imagine your Walsh. Kearney, o Neill, Nash,Mcdonnell harnedy etc while don't have all Ireland have won more championship waterford have last few years game wise so haven't absolutely no fear waterford

Look waterford want belive the huge hype I say let them and blow them up as they refuse to take realistic views so look June won't be long coming

Except they didn't try things, Cork didn't try and change or try anything in that game, if i was a cork fan that would one thing that would really annoy me about that game, Cork didn't even try and see how they might beat our system they stuck to the same gameplan for the entire game. They won't fear us but nor will Waterford fear Cork if you think that Sunday tells us nothing about Waterford or Cork your deluding yourself Cork showed serious flaws in that game, i hope the Cork management don't have your attitude because if they do it will be a short summer for ye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement