Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Indeed, I have had no problems streaming HD content over my Chromecast.

Think I'll pick up the Nexus 9 when it comes out as my Nexus 7 ('12) is aging a bit at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Many thanks for the info chaps, really appreciate it. I'll hang on until the Player is in the store and see which one becomes an impulse purchase! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Chaps I'm in two minds here and would appreciate some advice. All I really want to do is to watch Netflix on the TV so should I get a Chromecast or wait for the Nexus Player?

What else is it likely to offer that Chromecast doesn't already?

Good article that kind of sums up your options.

Since I'm looking at replacing my UPC the Roku 3 could be the more comprehensive device in terms of what it supports at the moment. Less of a walled garden in comparison to the the other set top boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Many thanks for the info chaps, really appreciate it. I'll hang on until the Player is in the store and see which one becomes an impulse purchase! :pac:

Just to add, there's another reason I love my Chromecast.

I don't have to stay logged in to my Google account on it. There are fewer security concerns with leaving the device unattended, when you're out and about.

I presume that will not be the case with the Google Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Only picked up a chromecast about 3 weeks ago and I must say I'm using it much much more than I anticipated. Excellent device at such a great price. I'm not sure what the Nexus player can offer vs the chromecast outside of dedicated apps or gaming.
    If you simply want a device that allows you to stream stuff to TV, chromecast wins for the price imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just looked in to Chromecast for the first time. Watched a demo on youtube and was well impressed when the fella pulled the battery out of his phone to prove that the Chromecast was streaming directly from Netflix on its own. He then went over to his browser to stop the video. He went from opening the box to controlling it with his phone, laptop, and tablet all in 6 minutes. How cool is that?

That said the player gives you a remote which is nice if you're letting the kids watch Netflix. I prefer not to hand over my phone or tablet to the kids (I'm mean). The gaming thing could be really cool too for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

OSI wrote: »
    as my chromecast struggles like a bitch to render 1080P
    Spazdarn wrote: »
    My chromecast struggles to output 1080p videos. So I'd imagine the Nexus Player would handle that no problem

Out of interest, are these vids local ones ? Do you have the same problem for example with YouTube 1080p vids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭droidman123

For anyone wondering if the nexus 7 (2012) was getting the L update amid conflicting reports,it will be be getting it.
    http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/10/2012-nexus-7-receiving-android-5-0-lollipop-heres-important.html#readsoruce_bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

OSI wrote: »
    They are local ones from a Plex media server. Play them to the Chromecast, get frame drops every 30 seconds ago, play them to the DLNA client on the TV (both over Wifi) perfectly fine.

That's odd, I have the same setup basically, Plex server running on a Mac mini and a ChromeCast, both are upstairs while my router is downstairs, 200mb UPC connection and I've never had an issue with stuttering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I really hope that pricing for the Nexus 9 is a mistake.

Nexus devices have always been subsidised by the Play Store, really hope so anyway!

Otherwise I'll be sticking with my Nexus 7 2013!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I really hope that pricing for the Nexus 9 is a mistake.

Nexus devices have always been subsidised by the Play Store, really hope so anyway!

Otherwise I'll be sticking with my Nexus 7 2013!

Thats the price and Nexus devices havent always been subsidised.

I think he may have meant nexus tablets.since the first nexus 7 they have more or less broken even on the hardware.google never expected to make huge profits from the sale of the actual tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think he may have meant nexus tablets.since the first nexus 7 they have more or less broken even on the hardware.google never expected to make huge profits from the sale of the actual tablets

Same price as the Nexus 10 though.

Yeah that's what I meant sorry.

I remember paying something like €400 for my Nexus S back in it's day so they definitely weren't subsidised for a while!

Preorders starting tomorrow right? So I guess we'll finally see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

In fairness, it was a trend Google had going with the previous 2 iterations. There was no indication that the new Nexus devices wouldn't be subsidized somewhat, so I can see why some people are upset/confused. Won't affect me anyway, I'm in contract until April :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is cool. Cannot wait to play it. Eben harder than flappy birds.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-lollipop-contains-flappy-bird-easter-egg

For anyone who wants to install the android L "recent apps" feature on any android device

http://gs5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-android-lollipop-recent-apps-menu-any-android-0158270/#readsoruce_bottom

Tomorrow is the day... I'm so excited! :)

sugarman wrote: »
    For all devices?

Nexus Devices at first.

Like all Google update it'll be phased

Then Google Play Edition devices.

Then Motorola and HTC, not sure after that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

HTC have said within 90 days

sugarman wrote: »
    Nice, nexus myself

Yup same!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The g3 will get it before Crimbo with the G2 getting it in early 2015.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Samsung usually take special care to properly lobotomise each Android update, and that can take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Don't think it will be today, hope I'm wrong though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I remember reading on Android Police a while back that Nexus 7 2013 and the Nexus 10 would be first starting on 3rd November (today) followed by the Nexus 4, 5 and 7 LTE version. In other words non cellular nexus devices first.

Just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 patmcd

XBMC !!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hurry up, I want my lollipop!

I,m on my nexus 10 ATM,nothing doing yet in relation to the update.I havnt fired up my nexus 7 yet to check, although it could be a few days or so before we get them in Ireland as these ota,s are normally sent out in batches worldwide. It will be on my nexus 9 tomorrow though :)

• Advertisement

I've the developer preview and nothing yet.

Advertisement