Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyone seems to have extremely expensive phones

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I love my 'brick'. Don't want a smart phone. I had a nokia but it was stolen abroad. Picked up a techno brick for about 12 euro and I discovered it's waterproof last week :D Dual sim and unlocked happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well i own nokia n8 forked out about 400e when it was released,just to see its price drop 3 times in a month or so at the time.But can say this it has gps,voice control all the usual office crap software,and 12mp camera,and yet 4 years later theres only hand full of phones that have such lens in them.
    and only two functions besides making calls txts that were really handfull over the years was camera and free gps maps that got me to places.

Besides it being small and crappy,i would source another one once this one dies if it will,as metal casing survived so many drops and hits and yet its like new.

besides other functions they all eat data,so really no point in having fancy phone when i can use tablet or pc for important stuff.

that said my grandma had nokia 3310 for over 10years or so,so one time visiting her i asked did she still had the phone,and to my surprise she had it layed down somewhere,and found it for me,took 10 min to plug in charger and it worked like the first day,good old days of midi ringtones :)

that i consider quality before nokia got overun by companies who managed to make easy to use smartphones with all the apps that are really few used and even lesser phones capabilities.

that said i dont care if someone flashes their new phones,since market is moving so fast theres no point in chasing the hype,when your iphone 6 will be replaced with 7,8,9 by end of next year just to say it got a bigger screen now and is faster then one you had before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

McGaggs wrote: »
    Dropped it loads, no dents yet.

Dropped mine once on carpet and the screen broke fecker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

People fork out 700 on an Iphone 6 which has the specs of a 200 Android Phone just to say that they have an Iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Just been looking at the reviews- looks good for the money. How would you rate battery life and general "dropability" of it?

Battery life is great for a smartphone, lots of nights I don't even charge it. Dropability is good too. Its light. Mine has loads of dents and scrapes from dropping it and it's fine.
    Downside is no memory card slot but the newer one has that. And the camera isn't great. OK if you're out in the sun, anything indoors is grainy and blurry if you're not ultra careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

hfallada wrote: »
    If you think about it. You use your phone more than anything else in your life. You use it from the first thing in the morning to the last thing at night. You use it to communicate with most people, to watch tv and to listen to music. Its probably one of the most material possessions in your life. It makes sense to buy a fairly decent one

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've got one of those €50 phones that the OP referred to, except that Acer is an established brand, not a no-name. I have no complaints about the speed of he phone itself, though it can suffer when opening pages on a slow connection. The screen is only 3.5", and I sometimes wish it was larger, but then the pocketability of the phone is what I like most about it. That said, I'm probably going to jump on a Nexus 9 tablet soon.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deBop

Personally I couldn't care less what phones people buy once it isn't illegal or any dodgy business e.g. it was stolen.
    walshyp wrote: »
    People fork out 700 on an Iphone 6 which has the specs of a 200 Android Phone just to say that they have an Iphone.

Wonder what €200 Android phones you've been looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

deBop wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't care less what phones people buy once it isn't illegal or any dodgy business e.g. it was stolen.

Wonder what €200 Android phones you've been looking at.

Probably the Motorola Moto G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

scamalert wrote: »
    well i own nokia n8 forked out about 400e when it was released,just to see its price drop 3 times in a month or so at the time.But can say this it has gps,voice control all the usual office crap software,and 12mp camera,and yet 4 years later theres only hand full of phones that have such lens in them.

I have the same but bought it after the price drops!! I have gone to change it so many times but the camera in new phones is a deal breaker for me!

You also forgot to mention the built in FM transmitter, it is great in the car being able to play your music through the speakers! The GPS is handy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

smash wrote: »
    This talk of 'expensive' phones annoys me a bit. I actually don't know anyone who goes out and spends hundreds on phones. I have an iPhone 6 plus and got it for free through my mobile contract and I'm guessing that's what most people do, or they get it very cheap.
    If you got it free on a contract, you're still paying hundreds on the phone. They're hardly giving the thing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

branners69 wrote: »
    I have the same but bought it after the price drops!! I have gone to change it so many times but the camera in new phones is a deal breaker for me!

You also forgot to mention the built in FM transmitter, it is great in the car being able to play your music through the speakers! The GPS is handy too.

I use the FM transmitter a lot too - and am reluctant to change to a phone without one.

Plus they are quite easy to repair - I've had to replace the earpiece on mine from dust damage (extreme conditions) and it's a simple enough job.

On the down side the browsers are a bit rubbish, and the screen is getting small in my eyes (or I'm getting older!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Have a collection of cheap Samsung E1190 type phones got each new for around 10bob each.
    Solely for the purpose of hotswop batteries, and making phone calls.
    Txts/calls can be made for up to 3 months before batch charging them.

Anything requiring processing gets sent to the water cooled Corei7 quad or iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I use the FM transmitter a lot too - and am reluctant to change to a phone without one.

For what it's worth, there are apps that do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Billy86 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, there are apps that do that.

But your phone would still need a FM transmitter built in to work, no? I dont know of any phone new phone that has a FM transmitter built in.

The apps may work with bluetooth but you would need a car stereo with bluetooth also built in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

TheZohan wrote: »
    Probably the Motorola Moto G.

The moto g is quad core. Better than an Iphone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's a lot of money for a phone alright. I'd be afraid I'd lose it. My own phone cost 120 euro. I should get at least 4 years out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

branners69 wrote: »
    But your phone would still need a FM transmitter built in to work, no? I dont know of any phone new phone that has a FM transmitter built in.

The apps may work with bluetooth but you would need a car stereo with bluetooth also built in.
    Good point, couldn't be definite. Did a quick check and it would appear to run through Bluetooth, though apparently it can be linked via the cigarette lighter in older cars, and of course the connection from the tape deck which I had forgotten about.

The FM transmitter is so easy - any radio, including FM Ear defenders, household radio, and car just works.

I'm debating whether to buy a new phone, but none, bar one Chinese Lenovo, have FM transmit. I may just buy a cheap android - like a cubot - and try it for a few months. A car bluetooth to FM transmitter may work, or a 3.5 jack fm transmitter could do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The FM transmitter is so easy - any radio, including FM Ear defenders, household radio, and car just works.

I'm debating whether to buy a new phone, but none, bar one Chinese Lenovo, have FM transmit. I may just buy a cheap android - like a cubot - and try it for a few months. A car bluetooth to FM transmitter may work, or a 3.5 jack fm transmitter could do the job.

Those lenovo phones are pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I have a cheap phone, everyone around me has iPhone 6, Samsung whatever, and to be honest I don't give a sh it, is each to their own,

Why should it matter who has what,

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I have a cheap phone, everyone around me has iPhone 6, Samsung whatever, and to be honest I don't give a sh it, is each to their own,

Why should it matter who has what,

Good for you!

I think the point Joan Brutal was trying to make was that the people complaining about the cost of water were well able to afford an expensive phone and callplan.

Perhaps she was questioning their choice of priorities.

Of course she (deliberately?) missed the point that people are really protesting about the imposition of new costs.

Advertisement