Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyone seems to have extremely expensive phones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

T'is true though what op says.
    You can get phones that are 90% similar yet one of them is extremely expensive because it has processing power that you'll probably only very rarely need to access, or live in the hell on earth that is an extra 2 seconds waiting for an app to load.

Maddness ted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Some of them are actually too big to carry around in normal clothes, like the note 3 & 4. I've big hands so I could use them fine but the problem is I couldn't sit comfortably with one in my pocket. I think they should ease up on the large screens and concentrate more on battery life, at least until they have flexible screens we can carelessly shove in our pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you think about it. You use your phone more than anything else in your life. You use it from the first thing in the morning to the last thing at night. You use it to communicate with most people, to watch tv and to listen to music. Its probably one of the most material possessions in your life. It makes sense to buy a fairly decent one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

BTW I get an expensive new iPhone every year. Whether I need it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

hfallada wrote: »
    If you think about it. You use your phone more than anything else in your life. You use it from the first thing in the morning to the last thing at night. You use it to communicate with most people, to watch tv and to listen to music. Its probably one of the most material possessions in your life. It makes sense to buy a fairly decent one

I use mine to make phone calls.
    http://www.mobilephonesbrands.com/images/nokia-1208-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I've had a couple of nokia bricks for the most of my phone using years, eventually I got a basic enough samsung smartphone on offer online, only paid 30 something for it. Granted I've a more expensive phone now but that was a present, I'd never find my way around without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Moto G ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Some of them are actually too big to carry around in normal clothes, like the note 3 & 4. I've big hands so I could use them fine but the problem is I couldn't sit comfortably with one in my pocket. I think they should ease up on the large screens and concentrate more on battery life, at least until they have flexible screens we can carelessly shove in our pockets.

I've got a Note 3 and if fits in all my pockets fine - I got a fake leather case that doubles as a wallet for a tenner though, so I use it for that also (I've never lost a phone, and only lost a wallet once about 12 years ago so not worried on that end - having both together actually helps if anything I reckon).

I hadn't had a smartphone until about 2 years ago when I got a cheaper no name Android type. It was a nice little thing to pass some time waiting on a bus or on the bog (rather than reading the shampoo ingredients... again) but went to the dogs after a few months to the point it would freeze up whenever I turned it on. The Note 3 is great though - genuinely one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. With the bigger screen and a bunch of apps, my phone is basically...

A phone, clock and all the basics, word processor and the very basic PC type stuff, a mini TV with Netflix, Sky Sports, an NFL dedicated channel (massive NFL fan), BBC1, BBC2, Channel 4, UTV and a bunch of other channels (and the option to record programmes like on a Sky box). It's also an internet browser that doesn't give headaches after a while from having to squint at small iPhone/Galaxy type screen, a mini Kindle, has a really high quality camera and piles of space for MP3s, etc. Oh, and it is also a SNES and N64 with the full catalogue of games for both, don't need to hook up controllers or anything - the controls are built into the screen because of the space. There's worse ways to pass time on the bus, in long sit-down queues, waiting for people in appointments, etc... I bloody love the thing!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a choice to make between looking for some final stars on Super Mario 64, or getting back into Super Metroid which I haven't played since I was a kid nearly 20 years ago. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Cienciano wrote: »
    Moto G ftw

Just been looking at the reviews- looks good for the money. How would you rate battery life and general "dropability" of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Just been looking at the reviews- looks good for the money. How would you rate battery life and general "dropability" of it?

Battery life great, haven't dropped it yet.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    I've got a Note 3 and if fits in all my pockets fine - I got a fake leather case that doubles as a wallet for a tenner though, so I use it for that also (I've never lost a phone, and only lost a wallet once about 12 years ago so not worried on that end - having both together actually helps if anything I reckon).

I hadn't had a smartphone until about 2 years ago when I got a cheaper no name Android type. It was a nice little thing to pass some time waiting on a bus or on the bog (rather than reading the shampoo ingredients... again) but went to the dogs after a few months to the point it would freeze up whenever I turned it on. The Note 3 is great though - genuinely one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. With the bigger screen and a bunch of apps, my phone is basically...

A phone, clock and all the basics, word processor and the very basic PC type stuff, a mini TV with Netflix, Sky Sports, an NFL dedicated channel (massive NFL fan), BBC1, BBC2, Channel 4, UTV and a bunch of other channels (and the option to record programmes like on a Sky box). It's also an internet browser that doesn't give headaches after a while from having to squint at small iPhone/Galaxy type screen, a mini Kindle, has a really high quality camera and piles of space for MP3s, etc. Oh, and it is also a SNES and N64 with the full catalogue of games for both, don't need to hook up controllers or anything - the controls are built into the screen because of the space. There's worse ways to pass time on the bus, in long sit-down queues, waiting for people in appointments, etc... I bloody love the thing!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a choice to make between looking for some final stars on Super Mario 64, or getting back into Super Metroid which I haven't played since I was a kid nearly 20 years ago. :pac:

As weird as this question is, what kind of pants do you wear and are they tight/well fitted? And do you keep the phone in your front pockets or back pockets? And when you go to sit down can you do it comfortably without paying any attention to possibly bending your phone like the current scenario of this happening the iPhone 6+?

And nice one on the emulators, I use an NES one on my tablet too lol. Would still like a modified bluetooth NES controller for ultimate nostalgia sessions though! Tempted to get the PlayStation one and synch the PS3 controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

As a previous poster pointed out a smart phone is a computer. Mine is used for booking cabs, weather, reading, videos, surfing, listening to music, podcasts, maps, social media, watching TV, movies and live streaming and lots more. It talks to satellites, accesses the knowledge of the world, and also texts and makes phone calls.

I honestly nearly forgot the latter two.

It's 3 years old, depreciation cost is about 400€, could be sold for 200€.

I am paying 40€ a month but the cheapest PAYG is at least 15.

Of course it's worth that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

T'is true though what op says.
    You can get phones that are 90% similar yet one of them is extremely expensive because it has processing power that you'll probably only very rarely need to access, or live in the hell on earth that is an extra 2 seconds waiting for an app to load.

Maddness ted.

But that's rubbish. I sold my iPad because I either use my phone or my computer for most computing tasks.

As weird as this question is, what kind of pants do you wear and are they tight/well fitted? And do you keep the phone in your front pockets or back pockets? And when you go to sit down can you do it comfortably without paying any attention to possibly bending your phone like the current scenario of this happening the iPhone 6+?

And nice one on the emulators, I use an NES one on my tablet too lol. Would still like a modified bluetooth NES controller for ultimate nostalgia sessions though! Tempted to get the PlayStation one and synch the PS3 controller.
    I pretty much always wear normal fitting jeans or 'chino' type pants (hate that word for some reason!?) and they're fine no matter how I'm sat to be honest, no issues with bending or anything either. The case is real handy though in that sense, gives a bit of a cushion and makes it feel/look more like a wallet than a phone - looks a bit like this http://www.casesinthebox.com/images/v/201310/magnetic-crazy-horse-leather-flip-case-for-samsung-galaxy-note-3-iii-n9000-with-slots-dark-brown_p20131011054835315.jpg

Apparently the colour system for the Note 3 is much better than most for using media on too, not sure why or if it's even true but just had it mentioned by some other people when they've seen it.

If you're wondering, Snes 9xe and Mupen 64 are the ones I use - both are excellent and the controls would work great on a tablet. Some N64 games (cough, Goldeneye :( ) have aged horrifically but others like Mario 64 are still almost as good as they were 16/17 years ago. Most SNES games are still class for a short play here or there. A few mates couldn't find them on iPhones mind, but should be easy to find on a browser with a tablet if that's an issue I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pwindedd wrote: »

Dropped it loads, no dents yet.

As a previous poster pointed out a smart phone is a computer. Mine is used for booking cabs, weather, reading, videos, surfing, listening to music, podcasts, maps, social media, watching TV, movies and live streaming and lots more. It talks to satellites, accesses the knowledge of the world, and also texts and makes phone calls.
    Forgot all about mmentioning these, I've become a huge fan of podcasts since I got my new phone. Pocketcasts by the way costs about €3/4 one off payment, but is a brilliant app for them (far better than any free ones I could find). Also satnav.

Mine was €450 up front and €35 a month for 12 months but that covers unlimited internet (Well, 15 gigs I think of which I usually use 10-12) and a good few calls/texts, though I usually use WhatsApp/Viber/etc so it's not an issue so I am more than happy with that. Was doing a ton of overtime in work when I decided to get it so basically didn't notice the initial cost, thankfully.

I pretty much always wear normal fitting jeans or 'chino' type pants (hate that word for some reason!?) and they're fine no matter how I'm sat to be honest, no issues with bending or anything either. The case is real handy though in that sense, gives a bit of a cushion and makes it feel/look more like a wallet than a phone - looks a bit like this http://www.casesinthebox.com/images/v/201310/magnetic-crazy-horse-leather-flip-case-for-samsung-galaxy-note-3-iii-n9000-with-slots-dark-brown_p20131011054835315.jpg

Apparently the colour system for the Note 3 is much better than most for using media on too, not sure why or if it's even true but just had it mentioned by some other people when they've seen it.

If you're wondering, Snes 9xe and Mupen 64 are the ones I use - both are excellent and the controls would work great on a tablet. Some N64 games (cough, Goldeneye :( ) have aged horrifically but others like Mario 64 are still almost as good as they were 16/17 years ago. Most SNES games are still class for a short play here or there. A few mates couldn't find them on iPhones mind, but should be easy to find on a browser with a tablet if that's an issue I guess?

Ya, iOS users need to jailbreak to use the same emulators but I think there still some for standard ones. I played Fifa 99 on the N64 one, mostly to experience no referee strictness once more lol, but it was riddled with glitches. Since it's possible for these emulators to be run, I actually wish Nintendo would release official remastered games that were popular along with an old school NES controller like I mentioned earlier. Mobile gaming is constantly getting bigger with the advances in technology for phones and tablets so I'd say they could definitely make a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I have a phone that can receive & make calls,i think its great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Courtesy of the Android forum,I picked up my phone for just over 80 quid from China.5" screen and all the bells & whistles I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yet now even the dogs on the street have the latest Galaxy S whatever just for the screen and the camera for taking better selfies. Has anyone else noticed the shift in people's attitudes towards expensive phones? Even teenyboppers now *need* an iPhone 6, just to tell their friends that they have one

you don't need a non chinese car either but would you really buy one over a EU / US / Jap made one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This talk of 'expensive' phones annoys me a bit. I actually don't know anyone who goes out and spends hundreds on phones. I have an iPhone 6 plus and got it for free through my mobile contract and I'm guessing that's what most people do, or they get it very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Some people are tech junkies and need to have the latest stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Forgot all about mmentioning these, I've become a huge fan of podcasts since I got my new phone. Pocketcasts by the way costs about €3/4 one off payment, but is a brilliant app for them (far better than any free ones I could find). Also satnav.

Mine was €450 up front and €35 a month for 12 months but that covers unlimited internet (Well, 15 gigs I think of which I usually use 10-12) and a good few calls/texts, though I usually use WhatsApp/Viber/etc so it's not an issue so I am more than happy with that. Was doing a ton of overtime in work when I decided to get it so basically didn't notice the initial cost, thankfully.

Podcast Republic, free and great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

cloud493 wrote: »
    Cheap (or seemingly cheap) contract phones. Getting the phone 'free' for a contract of €40 a month might be more expensive than just buying the phone, but it seems cheaper. Thats how I put it in my head anyway.

Is it really hugely more expensive. Simplistic example of paying for a 600 quid phone up front and say, 20 euro a month is about 45 a month over 24 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Apps are developed for the top end phones. They are then optimised or potentially stripped down a bit to work on lower end phones. In a lot of cases they might not even bother supporting low end phones, especially on Android.

If you buy a decent mid range phone you probably won't have a problem with lack of support from developers, so high end is possibly overkill. But saying "sure the cheapest ones can do all the same things" is way over simplifying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

An expensive phone is not really an expensive phone with upgrades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've noticed that too. I just don't get it updating to a new a phone every once and a while. To me is showing off. Different if you never had a smartphone before or not used one before or had a rubbish one. Maybe not used to them. You be better of waiting till special offer or get second hand. Buying brand new it have to be a very good phone and that you use for a long time. Iphones are more user friendly for those not techy but I still prefer samsung no matter what people say about the iphone.

I prefer to stick with my own for a few years. Don't fix or replace something if it ain't broke. I learnt my lesson a few years ago. Buy a new one doesn't last then have to buy another one and then it lasts for years. Some phones are better than others. Unless you on the bill pay I suppose or through work you can get a phone without much hassle but with pay as you go its still pricey like especially a smartphone. I prefer samsung to iphone but that is just me and my experience.

I think the iphones are a rip off you are paying extra for just new features. The os sytem is no different to the ipad/ipad mini. You still get similar benefits of a smartphone that's slightly cheaper than the iphone. You paying extra for things you don't need, they might be better than the samsung but samsung's features are just more user friendly I think. Iphones you pay extra for memory too. I just rather be able to increase memory of phone off my own bat and be able to take memory card in and out that's portable rather than built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Horselord

Samsung Coconut is GOAT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I technically have an expensive phone, but its because it was free on the contract i wanted, and the phone that i wanted and was half the price sim free would have cost me 250e upfront, Samsung and apple pull a lot of deals with carriers to get their products out, i do wonder what the real value of a top end phone is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

i do wonder what the real value of a top end phone is.

The phone itself (as in parts) is probably only worth in the low double digits. But it'd be very difficult without access to the companies books and a decent amount of accounting knowledge even roughly what the cost of getting the phone into a persons hand is. That's everything from the R&D to come up with the phone spec and design all the way to the marketing and advertising budget. I would wager the hardware costs are the cheapest part in the whole process, but that's just a guess. I'm sure there is a decent profit margin on there too.

Advertisement