Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyone seems to have extremely expensive phones

Options
  • 14-10-2014 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

Back in the day (early 2000's) if you got a very expensive phone it could do a lot more than the cheap one everyone else had and expensive phones were just for nerds and businessmen who needed email and a primitive black and white version of M$ Word with them everywhere they went.

Now the difference between a 50 quid no-name android phone and a 500 quid one is pretty much a nicer screen, camera and your apps run a bit faster.

Yet now even the dogs on the street have the latest Galaxy S whatever just for the screen and the camera for taking better selfies. Has anyone else noticed the shift in people's attitudes towards expensive phones? Even teenyboppers now *need* an iPhone 6, just to tell their friends that they have one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Why are you so cranky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've always had expensive phones. I was the first person in my school with a camera phone, sharp gx10i. Could never go back to the crap ones after that. Back in the day that was almost 400 euro when it came out. So considering that, the iPhone isn't that expensive considering how better it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I've a shyte Samsung flip phone. Black swan I guess..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Are the owners usually swarming around water meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is that you Joan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Why are you so cranky?

I'm bitter about not being able to buy the posh version of the iPhone 6 so I can fit in with my peers. The security lad outside starbucks wouldn't let me in with my iPhone 4, thought I was a junkie

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't have a smartphone. Yeow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I'm bitter about not being able to buy the posh version of the iPhone 6 so I can fit in with my peers. The security lad outside starbucks wouldn't let me in with my iPhone 4, thought I was a junkie

At least we cleared that up.

I have they phone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Nokia C1-01.
    Two black swans, or boards.ie attracts auld cranky luddites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Woah, this is a new agenda for us to put on the list of what to discuss by the week!

"It'll take some time for us to process your request for the addition to our list, please be patient as we are currently expecting a dole-bashing thread in the next 24hrs and then the water-meter conspiracy after that.

Thank you for your submission and we will get back to you as soon as possible."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

............Everyone seems to have extremely expensive phones ..............

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

There should have been a free smartphone for everyone in the budget today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It's a human right to have an expensive phone and internet access.

Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cheap (or seemingly cheap) contract phones. Getting the phone 'free' for a contract of €40 a month might be more expensive than just buying the phone, but it seems cheaper. Thats how I put it in my head anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I got my phone for free off my brother. It TECHNICALLY is an expensive phone, but didn't cost me a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Back in the day (early 2000's) if you got a very expensive phone it could do a lot more than the cheap one everyone else had and expensive phones were just for nerds and businessmen who needed email and a primitive black and white version of M$ Word with them everywhere they went.

Now the difference between a 50 quid no-name android phone and a 500 quid one is pretty much a nicer screen, camera and your apps run a bit faster.

Yet now even the dogs on the street have the latest Galaxy S whatever just for the screen and the camera for taking better selfies. Has anyone else noticed the shift in people's attitudes towards expensive phones? Even teenyboppers now *need* an iPhone 6, just to tell their friends that they have one
    oh joany talk electronics to me baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Why are you so cranky?

You'd be cranky if your name was Sh1tbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I've a piece of crap Nokia with the number 9 button missing I have to carry around a nail to press into were the buttons missing to get 9 to appear or type a text

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I had an iPhone 5, got my bag robbed on me with the phone in it, so bought a relatively cheap sony smartphone. Does everything my iPhone did - admittedly a wee bit slower - and I've dropped the blooming thing a hundred times. Not a crack or scratch on it. Love the bloody thing, and noone seems to want to rob it funnily.

There's only so much genuinely useful stuff a phone can do for you on a day to day basis. And most smartphones cover all the bases now. Same with most things technological. As long as you don't have to have the very best newest gadget out, you can be a year or so behind and still have a great product for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've a piece of crap Nokia with the number 9 button missing I have to carry around a nail to press into were the buttons missing to get 9 to appear or type a text

You'll need that nail in an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've a Moto G, great phone for the price and I've noticed I don't have any games on it bar Words with Friends. Still, stuff like the Dublin Bus app, mobile banking and their ilk are dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

kneemos wrote: »

112. It's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

kneemos wrote: »

Its actually like a joypad controller

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VladToBeHere

The phones you can get for "free" on an expensive contract that they're more than happy to give you are a much wider, and much swankier range than a few years ago, plus new phones are coming out at a crazy rate. I think they're up to the Sony XPERIA Z3 now? The Z was brand-spanking-new not too long ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I don't have a mobile :o

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Samsung GT-C 3350 on Tesco unlimited calls any network for €15 a month.
    Don't need a dripfeed of facebook or emails ;). Laptop at home for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Cheap Androids are the Devil's spawn.

*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I love my phone very, very much (SGS4), but when I lose or break it - which is frequent - I go back to an auld Nokia non-smart phone. I have to say, I enjoy walking around with it held in front of me, because nobody would rob it ever.

I think my favourite feature of my phone at the moment is that, when the alarm goes off, turning it the other way around activates the snooze function. It's beautiful. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Woah, this is a new agenda for us to put on the list of what to discuss by the week!

"It'll take some time for us to process your request for the addition to our list, please be patient as we are currently expecting a dole-bashing thread in the next 24hrs and then the water-meter conspiracy after that.

Thank you for your submission and we will get back to you as soon as possible."

"Cough" back seat modding much (you have just upped the standard in AH..may you have a slow and painful latte)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

If i hand my phone to someone to show them a picture, they swoosh their finger over the picture to zoom etc...and it doesn't...they look perplexed. I lol a bit inside.

Advertisement