Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What new car to buy - €29,500 budget

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

How is spending that kind of money a "waste"? For those who love their cars and driving it's far from a waste. I know I'd rather spend 30k on a car then drinking it or squandering it foolishly.

Because on Irish roads it will get trashed. Anyway if i had that money to spare i would give it to my kids. Rather than wasting it on something that's going to depreciate the minute you drive it out of the dealership

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

if that were the case then supply would be high and demand low so the price would come down. So people would buy new cars at a huge discount. Thats what would happen

Margins on many volume cars are low, there is not a lot that can be taken off, especially in Ireland where the manufacturers already strip out a lot of the good stuff for Ireland anyway given Ireland's unique obsession with ultra low power low spec cars. There is only so low the manufacturers can drop their prices otherwise they would be better off not making cars at all. Car sales in 2009 were just over 1/3rd what they were in 2008 yet prices barely dropped. Indeed, even this year, which is the best since 2008, is some way off sales figures between 1998 and 2008, yet prices have risen in some cases.

The real problem is VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What about a Ford C-Max 1.6TD in Zetec or Titanium spec. They are a lovely car very comfortable very composed on the road and around corners and your sitting that little bit higher too so better view of the road. Very classy and stylish too. There should be some great deals on them as well as there is a revamped model on the way or you could just wait for it. Look lovely in red or black and maybe some blues too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

if that were the case then supply would be high and demand low so the price would come down. So people would buy new cars at a huge discount. Thats what would happen

Incorrect. The Market would slow to a trickle, there would not be a "high" supply (it's obvious you haven't a clue about eh supply chain for the motor industry). The supply would fall to match the demand and we would end up with expensive used cars due to their scarcity.

As for your logic? Are you aware that, for example, you buy a 2 litre €3,000 banger, you will be paying €710 annual Motor Tax?The difference between this and the tax rate of a newer low-emissions car would fund a substantial loan. You think you're saving money but, in reality, not as much as you might think and, all along, you're sponging off others, those you expect to buy a car and fund its depreciation so you can pay as little as possible for it in years to come.

(As for giving money to children? That's not always a good idea either.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

Incorrect. The Market would slow to a trickle, there would not be a "high" supply (it's obvious you haven't a clue about eh supply chain for the motor industry). The supply would fall to match the demand and we would end up with expensive used cars due to their scarcity.

As for your logic? Are you aware that, for example, you buy a 2 litre €3,000 banger, you will be paying €710 annual Motor Tax?The difference between this and the tax rate of a newer low-emissions car would fund a substantial loan. You think you're saving money but, in reality, not as much as you might think and, all along, you're sponging off others, those you expect to buy a car and fund its depreciation so you can pay as little as possible for it in years to come.

assumptions makes fools of us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

ROTFL

Are you the derry in disguise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Lol. The difference would be about 500 quid - 40 quid a month wouldn't get you much of a loan.

Lol. The difference would be about 500 quid - 40 quid a month wouldn't get you much of a loan.

€500 per year would cover`the interest on a €5,000 loan.

Your choice, money costs money. A €3,000 purchase on €710 p.a. motor tax will cost the same to buy as an €8,000 purchase on <€200 p.a. motor tax.

€500 per year would cover`the interest on a €5,000 loan.

Your choice, money costs money. A €3,000 purchase on €710 p.a. motor tax will cost the same to buy as an €8,000 purchase on <€200 p.a. motor tax.

No it doesn't.

You have 5k depreciating away the whole time too and there is a cost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

Y
    Margins on many volume cars are low, there is not a lot that can be taken off, especially in Ireland where the manufacturers already strip out a lot of the good stuff for Ireland anyway given Ireland's unique obsession with ultra low power low spec cars. There is only so low the manufacturers can drop their prices otherwise they would be better off not making cars at all. Car sales in 2009 were just over 1/3rd what they were in 2008 yet prices barely dropped. Indeed, even this year, which is the best since 2008, is some way off sales figures between 1998 and 2008, yet prices have risen in some cases.

The real problem is VRT.

The list price of a vw e-golf is E34900 in Germany here it is E32660 also interest rates are low in ireland the UK rates are nearly double. I got the 1.9% interest rate last December on my highline golf the interest over 3 years is about E800 plus free servicing till the 60000 km service. Volkswagen are adding extra kit for 151 cars including the 1.9% interest rate on highline models till the end of November ..

• Advertisement

No it doesn't.

You have 5k depreciating away the whole time too and there is a cost there.

Clever purchasing will minimise depreciation.

Of course one should factor in all costs, including the cost of Motor Tax, cost of money, servicing, insurance etc. It can often be the case that a newer, higher-sticker-price car can actually cost less to run (factoring in all costs) than the bangernomics purchase.

However, the mentality that no one should never buy a new car is idiotic.

Of course one should factor in all costs, including the cost of Motor Tax, cost of money, servicing, insurance etc. It can often be the case that a newer, higher-sticker-price car can actually cost less to run (factoring in all costs) than the bangernomics purchase.

The more you spend, however you fund it, the more you invariably lose. As long as you are comfortable with the loss then by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Im intrigued - id love to see some costings for that.

My brother couldn't make the finances work to go from 1800 euro tax and 31 mpg to 570 tax and 46 mpg - on a 20 k car.

Mind you - HE DID actually work out the costs of the new car on the basis of anticipated depreciation over 5 years at 20 k miles a year.

But the figures for fuel for BOTH old and new were also done on the basis of 20 k miles a year.

Still couldn't make it work.

Admittedly we are talking about a decent car in terms of the new car (2.0 tdi Skoda Superb 170).

But the reality is that SOME people want to drive DECENT cars in terms of size, extras and other factors.

Rather then just a Dacia

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Folks,

Just a quick update - I decided on the Mazda 6 SE model... Well that was until yesterday until I took a Peugeot 508 Allure (140bhp) for a test drive - How much kit can Peugeot put in one car... Am I mad to give up the Mazda for the Peugeot. I just love that Mazda engine and handing but It hasn't half the spec of the Peugot.

Keep in mind that i'm not concerned with resale etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

2 members of my family have the 508 and love it. They Havnt had a problem. One is trading in their 11 one for a 15, that's how much they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

If resale is not a concern, then and only then consider the 508. The Mazda will drive better, will be faster too, but if your not pushing the car to limits, then maybe you should enjoy the toys and comfort of the 508.

I guess that if your going for the Active, that it will be 3k cheaper than the Mazda?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tuckermax

i got the mazda 6 platinum as a company car last year. lovely drive and plenty of extras but it comes with 19 inch wheels which are 260 euro a Tyre minimum. my company were not too pleased about that especially with the mileage i'm doing. if thats not an issue i have driven a load of cars during my search and is still my favorite. the MPG is also exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Did you try the new Ford Mondeo. I think they look lovely on the outside but the new dash is a bit bland. Some nice technolagy in it do.
    If you like the 508 and there is no other car you find that might seem like a better deal then go for it. They are a very classy and stylish car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement