Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What new car to buy - €29,500 budget

Options
  • 13-10-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Folks,

I'm in the middle of changing car with a budget of €29,500. I have been searching around and have struggled to find anything I'm crazy about. I have thought about the following:

Skoda Superb Ambition 2.0 Diesel 170Bhp

Kia Optima 1.7 Diesel 136Bhp

Nissan Xtrail 1.6 Diesel

I'm coming out of a 132 Octavia (1.6 Diesel). Great car but the older model (had previously a 2.0 Diesel 2011) was a much better drivers car. Torsion beam suspension was a huge step backwards and that 1.6 engine... It's awful.

Ideally, I'd love a VRS but I can't get the figures to work... Any other suggestions guys? I'll be entitled to fleet discount, the car must be new and suitable for two kids.... I've no concerns about residual values.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

laurpat wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm in the middle of changing car with a budget of €29,500. I have been searching around and have struggled to find anything I'm crazy about. I have thought about the following:

Skoda Superb Ambition 2.0 Diesel 170Bhp

Kia Optima 1.7 Diesel 136Bhp

Nissan Xtrail 1.6 Diesel

I'm coming out of a 132 Octavia (1.6 Diesel). Great car but the older model (had previously a 2.0 Diesel 2011) was a much better drivers car. Torsion beam suspension was a huge step backwards and that 1.6 engine... It's awful.

Ideally, I'd love a VRS but I can't get the figures to work... Any other suggestions guys? I'll be entitled to fleet discount, the car must be new and suitable for two kids.... I've no concerns about residual values.

Why does the car have to be new? There is an amazing choice of car out there with that budget if you don't care too much about the numbers on the reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Has to be the Superb, you get a lot of kit in that package plus it's the best Diesel in the range.
    JC01 wrote: »
    Why does the car have to be new? There is an amazing choice of car out there with that budget if you don't care too much about the numbers on the reg plate.

It has to be new because it's going to be a Fleet/Company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

JC01 wrote: »

I don't make the rules - I just abide by them...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

I don't make the rules - I just abide by them...

Apologies I just skimmed through your post missed the point about fleet/company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

I hope to be in the market myself in about a month, what I am going to buy will be my "forever car" as due to my age it will prob be the last car I buy.(,hope it lasts a long time:)). I am seriously looking at the new C4 picasso as the running costs are really good, low emissions, roomy, good mpg and comfortable on a long journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you'd like a VRS then a Leon FR184 might be worth a look. Same car but a good bit lighter and therefore feels livlier, nicer interior imo and can be had as an estate too. Only the 184 gets the more sophisticated rear suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

I have the Superb Elegance 170, got it last November has almost 70k on the clock and have to say its a great car, great power for overtaking also great mpg and having 3 kids a lot of room. You wont get a better car for the money imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Damien360

I assume it is a lease car same as myself.

I got the 140bhp superb ambition estate and love it. The 170bhp was only a fiver extra on the lease but I was watching BIK and the fact that it was just over allowed lease value so I would have to contribute the fiver.

The superb is huge in the back for the kids. The boot is huge and comes with tools and guards to separate out the boot so you can take have the stuff out and clamp the rest in place. Satnav is through my phone via Bluetooth but the only downside is it refuses to play instructions through the radio unless I am in BT mode. SD slot, mp3 compatible 6 slot CD player and Bluetooth for your music also.

The car is loaded to the gills and it gets heated seats plus at the moment, all leather/leatherette ?

6 speed box with plenty of poke. Bit noisy on motorway as insulation not as good as the insignia which is mad money on lease at the moment. Very little to complain about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

mikehn wrote: »
    I hope to be in the market myself in about a month, what I am going to buy will be my "forever car" as due to my age it will prob be the last car I buy.(,hope it lasts a long time:)). I am seriously looking at the new C4 picasso as the running costs are really good, low emissions, roomy, good mpg and comfortable on a long journey.
    well thats a conversation/thread stopper if i ever saw one.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If you'd like a VRS then a Leon FR184 might be worth a look. Same car but a good bit lighter and therefore feels livlier, nicer interior imo and can be had as an estate too. Only the 184 gets the more sophisticated rear suspension.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

well thats a conversation/thread stopper if i ever saw one.....:eek:

Not really. My dad is in the market now too, he's 'only' 72, but being realistic he knows that he's only got about 5 years driving left in him before he has to hang up the keys due to age. His father stopped driving at 75 after a hip replacement.

Sorry for going OT but I see where the other poster is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mazda 3 2.2d Platinum:

media?xwm=y&id=d162af83-536e-40e6-b6b4-2f8179fe6097&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/Mazda3-2.2D/91014126131439320/

Very well speced and the 150bhp SkyActive engine is deceptively brisk with almost petrol engine like characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You'll be hard pressed to get better value for money then the Superb, alright.

The 3 is nice but would it suit the OPs needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Moneymaker wrote: »

I see no reason it wouldn't. Can be gotten in a hatch, lots of power, good handling, very well equipped, looks great etc etc.

The Superb is a huge car but its nothing like a VRS in the handling department if that's what the OP seems to want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I see no reason it wouldn't. Can be gotten in a hatch, lots of power, good handling, very well equipped, looks great etc etc.

The Superb is a huge car but its nothing like a VRS in the handling department if that's what the OP seems to want.

I know the OP mentions "drivers car" - but is it to do with ride or handling he or she doesn't like the new model Octavias rear suspension with the torsion beam????.

A number of reviews ive read suggest that the new Octavia when fitted with torsion beam suspension (not all do - like the VRS or anything above a certain bhp level) have a firm ride.

The Mk 1 and 2 - ime - tend to ride very well - so an owner may well be less then impressed with the new one - if the reviews are correct.

Old diesel wrote: »
    I know the OP mentions "drivers car" - but is it to do with ride or handling he or she doesn't like the new model Octavias rear suspension with the torsion beam????.

A number of reviews ive read suggest that the new Octavia when fitted with torsion beam suspension (not all do - like the VRS or anything above a certain bhp level) have a firm ride.

The Mk 1 and 2 - ime - tend to ride very well - so an owner may well be less then impressed with the new one - if the reviews are correct.

I just find the new MK 3 Octavia has been left wanting and suffers from oversteer quite badly. I got caught a few times facing the way I was coming but in saying that I probably was pushing hard. I thought this was a problem with the Mk 2 but it was nothing to that of the Mk 3
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    You'll be hard pressed to get better value for money then the Superb, alright.

I love the look of the 3 but it's just a bit small. Is it a focus chassis? If I had some more €€€ I would be buying the 6 - I love the Mazda 6

Comparing the Superb to the VRS is a very different proposition. There is no point going down the route of average handling Skoda unless i have the space of a superb...

If I'm honest - I am struggling with how ugly the superb is... In fact it's not ugly it's Fugly....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

In fact it's not ugly it's Fugly....
    I think the estate is quiet nice if you'd consider that.

I think the estate is quiet nice if you'd consider that.

That's true...The estate aint bad looking at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Damien360 wrote: »

I got the 140bhp superb ambition estate and love it. The 170bhp was only a fiver extra on the lease but I was watching BIK and the fact that it was just over allowed lease value so I would have to contribute the fiver.

Extra €5 per month? What's that, €180 total over 3 years?!?

Hand over your licence now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Have you looked at the new Alfa Romeo giulietta sportiva nav unreal specs best diesel 2.0ltr out there imho and unreal looking.
    It's very practicle, great mpg,great interior,good bit of grunt and some new features for 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Damien360

smcgiff wrote: »
    Extra €5 per month? What's that, €180 total over 3 years?!?

Hand over your licence now! :pac:

I would make your average scot and Cavan man blush. I refuse to pay extra for what is basically my tool box. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

codrulz wrote: »
    Have you looked at the new Alfa Romeo giulietta sportiva nav unreal specs best diesel 2.0ltr out there imho and unreal looking.
    It's very practicle, great mpg,great interior,good bit of grunt and some new features for 2014.

Nice car but that engine is an evolution of the old 1.9 and very similar to the one in Opels. It was a great engine in its day but it's well past it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Giulietta isn't any bigger than a Mazda 3.

What about the new Ford Mondeo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Maybe try a Mazda 2.2d 150 BHP Platinum, looks identical to a Mazda 6 but handles far better!

33799913.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

new passat op? you arent far from entry level 3 series money at that stage, they start at 35k ish...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/volkswagen/passat-saloon/2015-volkswagen-passat-review/1316432

Idbatterim wrote: »
    new passat op? you arent far from entry level 3 series money at that stage, they start at 35k ish...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/volkswagen/passat-saloon/2015-volkswagen-passat-review/1316432

Not bad the new facelift - I have always put them as a "Boring motor" - Wonder where the Passat CC sits on the €€€ scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Another vote for the 184hp Leon FR here OP

ianobrien wrote: »
    Another vote for the 184hp Leon FR here OP

OK OK - I'm going to check out the LEON.... Didn't even consider cos of the size but will check it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Damien360 wrote: »
    I assume it is a lease car same as myself.

You need to sack your buyer. Anyone who couldn't negotiate a €5 reduction in cost to meet a budget should get his/her walking papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OK OK - I'm going to check out the LEON.... Didn't even consider cos of the size but will check it out...

I'll make it slightly easier. I was in a similar situation to you and having examined the others I went for the Leon. The VRS was too "flashy" and a terrible waiting list. The Mazda 3 dash was too "higgildy piggildly" and the Golf GTD was too eexpensive.

The options I went for was 18" wheels and half leather interior.

Advertisement