Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What new car to buy - €29,500 budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'll make it slightly easier. I was in a similar situation to you and having examined the others I went for the Leon. The VRS was too "flashy" and a terrible waiting list. The Mazda 3 dash was too "higgildy piggildly" and the Golf GTD was too eexpensive.

The options I went for was 18" wheels and half leather interior.

What about the space for two kids. I'm strugling with an Skoda Octivia at the minute - Can really manage any smaller....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

laurpat wrote: »
    What about the space for two kids. I'm strugling with an Skoda Octivia at the minute - Can really manage any smaller....

Comparing to the fathers '11 Octavia, the interior space is very similar. Plenty rear leg room and plenty of space up front and across the rear seat. The rear has attachments for two kids seats via isofix. The boot isn't as long as the Octavia's but may be very slightly deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The back seats are fine, have had baby seats in mine without issue. There's
    an estate too that would swallow everything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Damien360

Do you need space for carrying loads in the boot. Demo equipment etc. If yes then you need to look at estates and look at the floor plan for ease of loading. The superb estate has very easy access and a good size boot.

What do the others in the company drive and what do they carry in the boot. Mine is always full to the brim with tools and stock.

If on the other hand you will have clients in the car and not equipment then your options are wider.

Have you are large list to choose from and open to pretty much anything ? Some companies have a policy which limits choice. Don't get your hopes up until you know for sure. Can you add specification. Careful choosing a Leon and ending up with a base model yoke as the accountants are often choosing the car off a list and I have never met an accountant with taste.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Do you need space for carrying loads in the boot. Demo equipment etc. If yes then you need to look at estates and look at the floor plan for ease of loading. The superb estate has very easy access and a good size boot.

What do the others in the company drive and what do they carry in the boot. Mine is always full to the brim with tools and stock.

If on the other hand you will have clients in the car and not equipment then your options are wider.

Have you are large list to choose from and open to pretty much anything ? Some companies have a policy which limits choice. Don't get your hopes up until you know for sure. Can you add specification. Careful choosing a Leon and ending up with a base model yoke as the accountants are often choosing the car off a list and I have never met an accountant with taste.

I'm on my 7 car with the same company . Once it's diesel there's no other restriction. No need to carry stock or customers...

Going to seriously look at the Seat but I do fear it's going to be tight. Other cars in the company range from Mini Clubmans, Sportage, 508's, Passats, Astra coupe, Superbs, Xtrail and more...

• Advertisement

I'm on my 7 car with the same company . Once it's diesel there's no other restriction. No need to carry stock or customers...

Going to seriously look at the Seat but I do fear it's going to be tight. Other cars in the company range from Mini Clubmans, Sportage, 508's, Passats, Astra coupe, Superbs, Xtrail and more...

So boot space not required and your only concern is kids space. No need for the superb then.

I had a Leon FR on rental for 2 weeks recently in Germany and there is plenty of space in the rear. It is like a rocket and had all the bells and whistles. Not sure if it comes in on your budget to avoid massive BIK which would take the fun out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My understanding is that with the move the new platform in the last few years - the Mk 7 Golf platform - rear legroom is a lot better then on older Leons/Golfs/Octavias

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Old diesel wrote: »
    My understanding is that with the move the new platform in the last few years - the Mk 7 Golf platform - rear legroom is a lot better then on older Leons/Golfs/Octavias

Miles, though the shape of the mark 2 Leon seats was done in such a way that it was huge in the back but harder to get into. The mark 2 octavia pushed then forward for boot space.

The newer models are actually nearly as big inside as my old Mazda 6, the difference being the front seat space is kind of sculpted out of unused dash area. The steering column for example is paired back to almost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mazda have just taken €1,000 off the retail price of the Mazda 6. Exec SE 2.2d now retails at €30,795 + €525 for metallic (or €675 for Soul Red) + Delivery. Should be able to get hold of one of them for €29,500.

Rear seat space is almost as big as the Superb. Boot is very, very deep but hampered a bit by the aperture for larger stuff going in. 150ps engine is a very good engine, and gives pretty good economy. It's also a great looking car, slightly let down by the interior not being quite up to European standards, but it's a big improvement over the cabin of the older model.

There is a facelift in the pipeline, hence them taking money off at the moment, but that won't hit Ireland until July next year. It's mainly (so I'm told) interior changes - will be getting a new infotainment system and more interior storage, which is a good thing as there's no door pockets on the driver/passenger doors.

Based on criteria given, as long as stuff will go in to through the opening of the Saloon boot, it seems like the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

R.O.R even with the 1,000 off, residual wise, unless the facelift is more expensive, the 1k off seems fairly meagre, given that the one out in July, will have better residuals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Idbatterim wrote: »
    R.O.R even with the 1,000 off, residual wise, unless the facelift is more expensive, the 1k off seems fairly meagre, given that the one out in July, will have better residuals?

I looked at one this week and was told as the price waa dropping by 1000, that the cash discount would also drop by 750 to 1000! Still a nice car and a minor facelift won't change resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Idbatterim wrote: »

I'd say the car will go back up the €1,000 in July, and if it's just radio/infotainment and other interior changes, it won't make a jot of difference to the resale value. People aren't choosing the Mazda6 for it's interior, it's the engine and looks that are selling the car, and people are settling for the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

New Ford Mondeo - should come in at around that; http://www.ford.ie/Cars/NewMondeo

d1234 wrote: »
    New Ford Mondeo - should come in at around that; http://www.ford.ie/Cars/NewMondeo

They seem crazy money for what you get.... Seems very over rated...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

They seem crazy money for what you get.... Seems very over rated...

There isn't as much commotion over this one compared to the predessor though. Even looking at the Uk boys' review, they aren't exactly over rating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

There isn't as much commotion over this one compared to the predessor though. Even looking at the Uk boys' review, they aren't exactly over rating it.

Ford have really mucked up the prices of the new Mondeo. €36k for a 2.0 TDCi Titanium is mad money for what you're getting.

I also don't like the fact that on the Zetec model, it's nearly €3k more expensive to get a proper sized engine (the 2.0), and there is no saloon option available.

I can't see them shifting too many with the absence of a four door model (really ironic considering this car was designed for the US originally) and the sky high pricing.

Ford have really mucked up the prices of the new Mondeo. €36k for a 2.0 TDCi Titanium is mad money for what you're getting.

I also don't like the fact that on the Zetec model, it's nearly €3k more expensive to get a proper sized engine (the 2.0), and there is no saloon option available.

I can't see them shifting too many with the absence of a four door model (really ironic considering this car was designed for the US originally) and the sky high pricing.

Not sure if ford rely on the lease market heavily. There was a time when every salesman on the road and his buddies had a Mondeo. At those prices it goes way over the limit for most that market.

The current car of choice is base A4 (if you get lucky), mid to high spec superb and mid spec insignia. Very few mondeos as the current model is ancient and this will not help. I would have jumped at the new Mazda 6 but the lease price is silly.

When you start reaching 36 for a car, you begin to look further up the chain and ask serious questions. If ford think they are going to compete with the higher end of the market, they are fooling themselves.

My apologies, I got my €36k figure from the Ford.ie configurator. According to Carzone, a 2.0 TDCi Titanium hatchback is €34,345, which is a bit better. Still too expensive in my opinion, and only offering the hybrid as a saloon is a major mistake for saloon obsessed Ireland.

The more interesting option is the 1.5 158 bhp Ecoboost petrol, which is quite good value at €32,470 and with CO2 emissions of 134 g/km and thus motor tax of €280, would make an eminently sensible buy for any low mileage motorist. But alas, nobody will buy it because it's the "wrong" fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Have you looked at the new Passat? The 105bhp 1.6 Tdi has been boosted to 120bhp. The prices haven't gone up from the previous model either. The PCP offerings look good too. Unusually the interest rate on the highline is lower than the trendline and comfortline at 1.9%. There was a VW magazine in Saturdays paper with all the details. The new passat looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Would you consider a Leaf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did Mad Lad hack Cleveland's account?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

New toyota rav4 can be got for that price.

Why wouldnt you

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

pbthevet wrote: »
    New toyota rav4 can be got for that price.

Why wouldnt you

I wanted 4x4 so spent a bit more. Got quoted €31850.

For that ur getting very high spec. All usual plus rev camera, touchscreen radio

Tax is only €280 too. Very comfy, will hold its value better than anything out there too as its what all the yummy mummies want.

Avoid anything thats not japanese imo. Hyundais and kias are a huge no no. My last santa fe cost more to fix than buy nearly

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did Mad Lad hack Cleveland's account?

My prius does great MPG, so much so I would consider LPG'ing it.
    But for sure my next car will be a leaf.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the new Passat? The 105bhp 1.6 Tdi has been boosted to 120bhp. The prices haven't gone up from the previous model either. The PCP offerings look good too. Unusually the interest rate on the highline is lower than the trendline and comfortline at 1.9%. There was a VW magazine in Saturdays paper with all the details. The new passat looks very nice.

Well the 2.0 TDI 150 has been criticised for being a bit anaemic, so I'd hate to see what the 1.6 TDI is like given that it has 30 bhp less.

The 1.6 TDI in the B7 Passat was terrible (admittedly that has only 105 PS compared to the 120 PS offered in the B8 1.6 TDI), no power whatsoever, dead as a doornail despite what all the diesel fanbois will tell you about 'diesel torque'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

pfff why waste your money? just buy a banger for 3 or 4 thousand.

Great advice!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Great idea that. So if nobody bothers buys new cars where do you think bangers would eventually come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

How is spending that kind of money a "waste"? For those who love their cars and driving it's far from a waste. I know I'd rather spend 30k on a car then drinking it or squandering it foolishly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

bazz26 wrote: »
    Great idea that. So if nobody bothers buys new cars where do you think bangers would eventually come from?

if that were the case then supply would be high and demand low so the price would come down. So people would buy new cars at a huge discount. Thats what would happen

Advertisement